Voting Idiots off the BB,,, Can We ? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUXGTA View Post
As I have met the starter of this thread on a number of occasions, I think this suggestion is ironic. I propose we start banning people for not educating themselves about the marque before posting on forums about said marque. I'm not trying to get "banned" for saying this, but it's more frustrating to me when the search function isn't taken advantage of than it is when someone gets called to the table for asking stupid questions or making ridiculous comments. There, I just hijacked this thread AND made a remark about the poster...ban me.
Very interesting topic sentence, had me at ironic, but then you went on to describe how people who know less than you are inferior and don't deserve to be informed when they thirst for knowledge.

If you are saying Glenn was incorrect and mistaken when he purchased an Alfa Romeo, then fell in love with the marque, and asked questions to gain knowledge on the internets then maybe 10,000 of the 14,000 members on the board are to be banned instantly. By that incorrect logic I'm banned, Simon is banned, JJ is banned, and everyone who doesn't own a GTA is banned.
This BB was set up for people who don't own a SS, GTA, TZ2, and want to know more about a 75, GT, 164. You, my friend, have it backwards, its people who knowingly hijack threads with their own pompous opinion that have no value or substance that is frustrating and stupid. Give this a try, next time you meet or view someone not born with an infinite amount of knowledge of the marque or the act of wrenching assume they are a normal human being without powers comparable to yours.

//On topic:// Sure some (not many) people don't join to learn or educate, but unless it gets to the level of bleeding over every single post they can get their hands on its not a problem. The current thread has drama because they both asked for it, ther majority of threads has one party starting drama and then the rest of the BB follows up with telling that person that was not cool. There is really no need to ban.
I believe that compared to most other forums the AlfaBB is pretty free of tools and clowns.

Last edited by 81gtv6; 03-16-2007 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Eye Kan spel wel!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 07:55 AM

I vote to ban anyone who has more than 16 GTV6's.

Loud pipes save lives.

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

I have to admit that some of these rants, hissy fits and made in fun comments are pretty entertaining, and, as 84GTV6 said, the threads with these get a lot of hits!
I think what is bothering me most is the physical threats, even though they are from armchair bullies a thousand miles away. In my world you don't make threats of violence, that is serious stuff.
I guess its easy from behind a computor, kind of like when a normally meek person will flip you the finger and scream insults at you from the safety of their car when you do some driving thing they don't like.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 08:11 AM
WHW

Hello all,

Iím a new member trying to buy my first Alfa. I have been looking in the for sale ads for some time. They are filled with rude comments and personal attacks, which is why I donít think it is a good idea to say anything in the middle of a fight. Humor or sarcasm don't bother me, but I'm talking about comments that insult. I hope something is done about this and I hope that the members wonít leave things the way they are now. I think that there is a lot that is very good here and I would be willing to become a paying member, so that more moderators could be hired and things were cleaned up.

Thank you.
WHW
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 08:23 AM

I didn't read all of the posts in this thread, but you're talking about sensorship, not a good thing. If you don't want to read a particular persons posts, then don't. Better yet, add the individual to your "Ignore" list and you'll never have to read a post by that person ever again, all you will see is that they made a posting.

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 08:27 AM

Lemme see how many clapped-out, rusty Alfas I can get my hands on, that'll make me a TRUE fan of the marque, which in turn will give ME the right to decide who should be able to post about it in an open forum. My point is, TAKE THE TIME TO EDUCATE YOURSELF, instead of taking the time to concoct stupid ideas in an OPEN FORUM. I wasn't "born with an infinite amount of knowledge", douche. What I did was READ EVERYTHING I COULD GET MY HANDS ON ABOUT ALFA ROMEO, before there was an AlfaBB. Let's ban the people who own a f--king '86 Spider, but can't spell Nuvolari, or the people who get sad when someone calls them out for being a "fly by night" Alfisti. F--k it, let's ban the whole board because someone has a differing opinion. "Give this a try", before making a stupid statement about MY knowledge of the marque, think about the audacity of someone wanting to ban members because they happen to be SO PASSIONATE about Alfa Romeo that they may come across grumpy, or mean, or jerky, or any other word you can think of to describe someone with whom you've decided to dislike. Can we ban those 10,000 members that you mentioned in your post?! As long as RussianM3 dude, Olczyk and Chi Si Dici are here to keep me amused, I'll be fine. I may just buy a Milano Verde that I can debate is superior to an M3, which would give me alot more to post about! That may be the start of a BB that I frequent more...
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Lemme see how many clapped-out, rusty Alfas I can get my hands on, that'll make me a TRUE fan of the marque, which in turn will give ME the right to decide who should be able to post about it in an open forum. My point is, TAKE THE TIME TO EDUCATE YOURSELF, instead of taking the time to concoct stupid ideas in an OPEN FORUM. I wasn't "born with an infinite amount of knowledge", douche. What I did was READ EVERYTHING I COULD GET MY HANDS ON ABOUT ALFA ROMEO, before there was an AlfaBB. Let's ban the people who own a f--king '86 Spider, but can't spell Nuvolari, or the people who get sad when someone calls them out for being a "fly by night" Alfisti. F--k it, let's ban the whole board because someone has a differing opinion. "Give this a try", before making a stupid statement about MY knowledge of the marque, think about the audacity of someone wanting to ban members because they happen to be SO PASSIONATE about Alfa Romeo that they may come across grumpy, or mean, or jerky, or any other word you can think of to describe someone with whom you've decided to dislike. Can we ban those 10,000 members that you mentioned in your post?! As long as RussianM3 dude, Olczyk and Chi Si Dici are here to keep me amused, I'll be fine. I may just buy a Milano Verde that I can debate is superior to an M3, which would give me alot more to post about! That may be the start of a BB that I frequent more...
I love this forum.
Here we have the person who believes he's above everyone else because he doesnt own a bunch of rusty alfas. I personally think HMA is a good guy, he travels 8 hours or more in rain to pick up an alfa that was going to head off to the crusher, does a bit to get them into some sort of driving condition and then lets someone else use/own them. Heck he even listens to my kinda of music (assuming his name is talking about music.)
Where you FauxGTA just sound like some angry guy who believes that someone really has to prove they can own a car before owning one of these 'oh so amazing cars'. Sure you own a cool car, but then again all of these cars are cool. Lots of people come here to read up and absorb all the knowledge they can about alfa's. I learnt everything about Alfa Romeo's from this site and a few others. This is a new age and not everyone wants to read books when there's free information sitting only a mouse click away.
And if you are sooooo passionate about a car, and you know the other people are trying....even though they cant spell Nuvolari, or somehow forget that its 'Alfa' instead of 'Alpha' because they just spent all of their lives learning to spell it one way then you've got some weird idea about passion.
There's a lot of people who probably think a lot of others dont deserve these cars and that their bastardizing them but at least the marque continues. The passion should include letting new guys own the cars or maybe it'll keep going the way it is/was with these cars. Remember the reasons why Alfa left North America? Some of it had to do with passion and a bunch of old guys owning the dealerships, feeling the need not to advertise because these cars can sell themselves and the marque dying off. (I know thats not all of the reasons but I know a lot of people who stand behind that as part of the reason)

The people who are in question to be banned are people that are making threats. Sure calling someones hair greasy is funny (and the fact that we see the greasy hair is completely off topic of anything alfa romeo anyway), but when the person replies that theyre going to smash someones face in because of it...thats why this whole topic is up. People cant take jokes and need a time out like a kid in preschool.

Oh yeah, and HMA didnt say he's the one deciding about who to kick off like you stated. In fact it says right in this title 'Voting' which one could assume means democracy. Everyone.

'88 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde - 24V, '87 Platinum 3.0 (for sale), 94 LS parting out

Last edited by DonBeeson; 03-16-2007 at 11:54 AM.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Platinum Subscriber

It's my hope that the vast majority of BB'ers remain gentlemen (or "ladies" as applicable). The concept of a "gentleman" is rapidly being lost to the lowest-common-denominator pop culture. Especially in a public forum like this (but sponsored by Simon), it's my humble opinion that there is no place for profanity, snide and rude remarks, or instigating personal attacks for the sake of such.

I've said this before, but I consider myself a guest at Simon's party and conduct myself accordingly. I want to stay at the party and have lots of great people to talk to. If some of the guests insist on making spectacles of themselves, then that's a reflection on their own character, but it's up to Simon to decide on when they are no longer invited to the party.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:45 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
It's my hope that the vast majority of BB'ers remain gentlemen (or "ladies" as applicable). The concept of a "gentleman" is rapidly being lost to the lowest-common-denominator pop culture. Especially in a public forum like this (but sponsored by Simon), it's my humble opinion that there is no place for profanity, snide and rude remarks, or instigating personal attacks for the sake of such.

I've said this before, but I consider myself a guest at Simon's party and conduct myself accordingly. I want to stay at the party and have lots of great people to talk to. If some of the guests insist on making spectacles of themselves, then that's a reflection on their own character, but it's up to Simon to decide on when they are no longer invited to the party.

Well said, John.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Here we have the person who believes he's above everyone else because he doesnt own a bunch of rusty alfas.
YES!!! Why would i want to own a bunch of rust?

Quote:
Where you FauxGTA just sound like some angry guy who believes that someone really has to prove they can own a car before owning one of these 'oh so amazing cars'.
Can we vote on implementing a way to determine one's worthiness before Alfa ownership? Why would you quote 'oh so amazing'? Do you yourself not believe they're amazing? By the way, it's FAUXGTA, all capitals.

Quote:
This is a new age and not everyone wants to read books when there's free information sitting only a mouse click away.
And if you are sooooo passionate about a car, and you know the other people are trying....even though they cant spell Nuvolari, or somehow forget that its 'Alfa' instead of 'Alpha' because they just spent all of their lives learning to spell it one way then you've got some weird idea about passion.
Just remember, free information is sometimes worth every cent. You'd rather read online opinion/fact/misinformation than DOCUMENTED info from great books? I guess my idea about passion is weird, I WOULD expect someone to at least know the spelling of the marque that they seem to be so interested in. I try to acquire as much knowledge as possible about subjects that interest me, rather than save worn out rust-buckets to try and sell to some unknowing newborn Alfisti. I've seen the light, I AM weird!

Quote:
There's a lot of people who probably think a lot of others dont deserve these cars and that their bastardizing them but at least the marque continues. The passion should include letting new guys own the cars or maybe it'll keep going the way it is/was with these cars. Remember the reasons why Alfa left North America? Some of it had to do with passion and a bunch of old guys owning the dealerships, feeling the need not to advertise because these cars can sell themselves and the marque dying off. (I know thats not all of the reasons but I know a lot of people who stand behind that as part of the reason)
The marque continues. Front wheel drive, churched-up FIATs...the marque continues. As far as the reason for Alfa leaving the country, maybe you should try Pat Braden's 'All Alloy Twin Cam Companion' for a true look at why it happened. It's in book form, so I'm not sure it'll interest you!

p.s. If I'm making a 'spectacle' of myself, pardon me...
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 01:08 PM

"Churched-up" -- I like that phrase! Hope you don't mind if I borrow it. I see a lot of "churched up" cars around here!

Another phrase I learned the other day: "warbler" -- for someone who talks too much. "You would be finished working on the Alfa if you did less warbling and more wrenching."

Bill / 1977 Alfa Romeo 4C2000 / 2012 BMW S1000RR / 1975 BMW R90/6
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 01:17 PM

What is this...a sense of humor on the AlfaBB! I love 'churched-up', and I AM a 'warbler'! What about 'hoodwinked'? "I've been hoodwinked into thinking I could post my thoughts without reprimand on the BB!" 'Bamboozled' is also under appreciated!
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 01:19 PM

Banning

I BELIEVE BANNING PEOPLE WOULD BE A BIG WASTE OF TIME.
NUFF SAID Bill

74 gtv New in 75 sold 2005
67 Duetto spider 1981 sold 1988
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
YES!!! Why would i want to own a bunch of rust?

Can we vote on implementing a way to determine one's worthiness before Alfa ownership? Why would you quote 'oh so amazing'? Do you yourself not believe they're amazing? By the way, it's FAUXGTA, all capitals.

Just remember, free information is sometimes worth every cent. You'd rather read online opinion/fact/misinformation than DOCUMENTED info from great books? I guess my idea about passion is weird, I WOULD expect someone to at least know the spelling of the marque that they seem to be so interested in. I try to acquire as much knowledge as possible about subjects that interest me, rather than save worn out rust-buckets to try and sell to some unknowing newborn Alfisti. I've seen the light, I AM weird!

The marque continues. Front wheel drive, churched-up FIATs...the marque continues. As far as the reason for Alfa leaving the country, maybe you should try Pat Braden's 'All Alloy Twin Cam Companion' for a true look at why it happened. It's in book form, so I'm not sure it'll interest you!

p.s. If I'm making a 'spectacle' of myself, pardon me...
Rust is a part of most Alfa's. Under it lies a great car. Have you looked at the restorations on this site? Theyre amazing.
Sorry, FAUXGTA I was having some fun with your care on proper spelling.
I said 'Oh so amazing' because you're really putting them up on a pedestal. Theyre great cars but you're right an M3 would take my milano, oh well i'll move on. As I see it, you'd probably be the one to implement a vote to determine worthiness of an Alfa. I doubt anyone would listen to that, but you can try.
There's plenty of well documented information on this site. Why are you here if you dont want to learn something? If you get stuck somewhere with your car work and the way the book says it just doesnt seem to work...its quite possible many guys on this forum have jumped that hurdle too.
I never said anything about myself not reading books but I guess im way under you in Alfa ownership anyways so you probably wouldnt have noticed that. I know quite well the reasons why Alfa Romeo left this market and I know quite well that although I'll buy an Alfa Romeo when they come back here...its not gonna be the same.
Also I probably wont own any of Pat Bradens books until I actually do own an all alloy twin cam. Im sure you saw that I dont own one..didnt you? But I'll be first in line (internet online?) to get Greg Gordons book.

'88 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde - 24V, '87 Platinum 3.0 (for sale), 94 LS parting out
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=FAUXGTA;333517]Lemme see how many clapped-out, rusty Alfas I can get my hands on, that'll make me a TRUE fan of the marque, which in turn will give ME the right to decide who should be able to post about it in an open forum.
""I try to acquire as much knowledge as possible about subjects that interest me, rather than save worn out rust-buckets to try and sell to some unknowing newborn Alfisti ""

I take back my PM about coming up to visit. I don"t think you would appreciate it and you obviously wouldn't understand.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode