Going Green - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Going Green

My family is very into being environmentally friendly. We recycle, segregate, conserve water, etc. The last project we had was insulation. We had a company fix leaks that made our heating and cooling bills go up.

My father has been wondering lately about going energy independent and has asked me to do some research on this. I haven't started any research yet but I feel that it'd be very hard to go completely independent. Is this right? Has anyone here tried solar panels? Is it possible to go completely energy independent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Know many people who have done this. Need lots of land, "big" investment and a lot of your time.
Is it worth it? After 25 years maybe? Then you'll have to replace the panels!

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasrule View Post
Know many people who have done this. Need lots of land, "big" investment and a lot of your time.
Is it worth it? After 25 years maybe? Then you'll have to replace the panels!

Just as I thought. We'll still go for it though. We'd probably aim for being at least partially energy independent. I read some very good case studies during my research. It's alright anyway even if we don't totally recoup our losses in the next fifteen years or so. What's more important to us is going environmentally friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 AM

Been there, done that. 2 weeks of cloud cover in winter tests even the best independent solar systems. I used to get about a week of cloudy winter days out of mine, then had to resort to early nights and doing stuff without elec-trickery until we had a couple of sunny days. Granted, that was ~10 years ago & technology has improved somewhat.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wispwhack View Post
My family is very into being environmentally friendly. We recycle, segregate, conserve water, etc. The last project we had was insulation. We had a company fix leaks that made our heating and cooling bills go up.

My father has been wondering lately about going energy independent and has asked me to do some research on this. I haven't started any research yet but I feel that it'd be very hard to go completely independent. Is this right? Has anyone here tried solar panels? Is it possible to go completely energy independent?
I would like to invest with solar panels also because I believe that it helps to stop global warming which threatens the survival of human society, as well as the survival of other species here in our planet. Itís dependable the rising and setting of the sun is extremely consistent. We know exactly when it will rise and set every day of the year. However, the disadvantage is that the sun doesnít shine 24 hours a day. When the sun goes down or is heavily shaded, solar PV panels stop producing electricity. If we need electricity at that time, we have to get it from some other source. In other words, we couldnít be 100% powered by solar panels. At the very least, we need batteries to store electricity produced by solar panels for use sometime later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode