Alfa Romeo Guitars

Harrison Custom Guitar Works Unveils Alfa Romeo Electric Guitar

http://www.italialiving.com/featured...ectric-guitar/

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 12:29 PM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
You're a little late..........

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/off-...ts-4000-a.html

ďIf you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughĒ
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Either way, it does not impress... Tone sucking materials, poor dynamics, bridge position is lousy and etc... I would not buy one even if somebody gave the money to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 08:07 AM

Tone sucking materials? I thought it didn't matter all that much what materials were used in a solid-body electric. Isn't the guitar's tone largely influenced by the pickups? Just wonderin'. I play classical guitars and none of them plug in.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Howdy 180OUT,

To answer your question, yes and no. Materials and methods of working with the strings are very important. Specific woods allow for things like sustain, active and passive tonal consistencies. Tone is a big deal with many musicians... That why you have hardbody guitars like LP's, and many others that musician swear by.

A good example is if your happen to be a Slash fan (Saul Hudson of Guns&Roses and others) used a Jose Arredondo amp and a couple of very specific LP's for the recording of his most current album. The amp gave him a specific amplified tone, but the guitar tone was a separate issue. The pickups are of course part of it and when put with the kind of bridge, tailpiece, fretboard, strings & hardwood give off a specific tone. Another example would be Joe Bonomassa. Metal removes lower frequencies and the more you use the more sterile and tinny the instrument sounds.

Kramer experimented with aluminum necks back in the 70 which some artists liked, but very few used. Today those Kramers are quite rare and collectors items, but very rarely used in recording or live performances because of their tonal qualities.

The pickups are responsible of converting that tone to an electrical signal which is sent down a path to an amplifier. Pickups have an influence in sound and tone, which is why so many artists looks for specific kinds of pickups with things like a certain amount of ohms, windings, type of copper, type of magnets, winding patterns and etc. All those considerations play with that natural tone that comes from the oscillation of the strings and the resonance of that within the body of the instrument.

Lastly, how you play also has influence on your tone also. All things to keep into consideration, but when you use metal you narrow and limit tonally to a very specific frequency range. Hence the tone sucking.

~Steve (AKA: Alfa Funatic)
Fun stuff thats available > http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/sss?userid=3480627
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
To answer your question, yes and no. Materials and methods of working with the strings are very important. Specific woods allow for things like sustain, active and passive tonal consistencies. Tone is a big deal with many musicians... That why you have hardbody guitars like LP's, and many others that musician swear by.
Thanks for this. I'll confess to a little eliteism about guitars that are different from what I play. Reading autobiographies from Neil Young, Keith Richards, and Eric Clapton, it was obvious that their favorite hardbody electrics had tonal qualities that I wasn't understanding. Now I do.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 06:09 PM

Jim,

You will find tastes all over the place. Some swear by neck through body, others bolt on and then there is those that are of the joint variety. Personally I have a little bit of everything depending on what I am playing, generally though I like the neck through and joint types as they seem to produce the best sustain and tonal qualities I like...

Fun stuff thats available > http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/sss?userid=3480627
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have a 1951 ES295 that is about as old-school as you can find. The tone makes people think of lost lovers and turn to hard drink. I have an early 60's Epiphone Wilshire that I bought back in the day for $43. As a guitar, it is an unsophisticated wiggly plank of wood. However, it is equipped with one of its original miniature humbuckers at the neck. a hot-rails bridge, and an original Danelectro lipstick in the middle. It is wired in stereo, and the whole mess of pickups can be sent anywhere in any combination or phase. When it plays, people drop their jaws and ask "how do you get that sound????!!!"

These days, I mainly play the guitar that was born the same year as I was, and remember lost loves. I've tapered the hard drink down, however.

The Alfa guitar appears fit to play only a few Muddy Waters tunes, by someone that can sound like Muddy himself. Or Billy G.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:59 AM

Thats funny you should mention Muddy... My first guitar was a 71 Tele.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I used to borrow a kids VERY early Fender Broadcaster. Loved it. I wouldn't mind having a good Tele, but apart from "Hot Rod Lincoln", it wouldn't fit the rest of what I do.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post

I love this! When i see stuff like this, it makes me want to learn guitar.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:31 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
A nice edition to any ones den wall next to the 4C that gets parked in the house.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:43 PM

In case anyone's interested, here is a good book about guitars and guitar making. Wayne Henderson is a famous steel-string acoustic guitar builder. The author writes about spending time in his shop while he builds a guitar for Eric Clapton. Typically, Clapton didn't much appreciate the instrument. But then the story's not really about him, despite the title of the book. The book's a good read.

Clapton's Guitar: Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument: Allen St. John: 9780743266369: Amazon.com: Books

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

The book will most likely be a Christmas present for my guitar playing son. Thanks for the tip.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:07 AM

The Alfa guitar would make an excellent wall hanger, methinks. I don't think it would sound good, but I would love to have it proved differently.
The one pictured in the above link is different from the first one I saw on the web last year, at least this one has a bridge! The other one was prettier though.
This one probably sounds like a metal Dobro, electrified.
For me, for 40 years, Fender P Bass and Strat.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode