Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Off-Topic Talk (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/off-topic-talk/)
-   -   Alfa Romeo Guitars (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/off-topic-talk/329874-alfa-romeo-guitars.html)

alfaparticle 07-02-2014 10:15 AM

Alfa Romeo Guitars

Harrison Custom Guitar Works Unveils Alfa Romeo Electric Guitar

http://www.italialiving.com/featured...ectric-guitar/

ARwrench 07-02-2014 12:29 PM

AlfaFunatic 09-04-2014 10:02 PM

Either way, it does not impress... Tone sucking materials, poor dynamics, bridge position is lousy and etc... I would not buy one even if somebody gave the money to me.

180OUT 10-03-2014 08:07 AM

Tone sucking materials? I thought it didn't matter all that much what materials were used in a solid-body electric. Isn't the guitar's tone largely influenced by the pickups? Just wonderin'. I play classical guitars and none of them plug in.

AlfaFunatic 11-03-2014 01:48 PM

Howdy 180OUT,

To answer your question, yes and no. Materials and methods of working with the strings are very important. Specific woods allow for things like sustain, active and passive tonal consistencies. Tone is a big deal with many musicians... That why you have hardbody guitars like LP's, and many others that musician swear by.

A good example is if your happen to be a Slash fan (Saul Hudson of Guns&Roses and others) used a Jose Arredondo amp and a couple of very specific LP's for the recording of his most current album. The amp gave him a specific amplified tone, but the guitar tone was a separate issue. The pickups are of course part of it and when put with the kind of bridge, tailpiece, fretboard, strings & hardwood give off a specific tone. Another example would be Joe Bonomassa. Metal removes lower frequencies and the more you use the more sterile and tinny the instrument sounds.

Kramer experimented with aluminum necks back in the 70 which some artists liked, but very few used. Today those Kramers are quite rare and collectors items, but very rarely used in recording or live performances because of their tonal qualities.

The pickups are responsible of converting that tone to an electrical signal which is sent down a path to an amplifier. Pickups have an influence in sound and tone, which is why so many artists looks for specific kinds of pickups with things like a certain amount of ohms, windings, type of copper, type of magnets, winding patterns and etc. All those considerations play with that natural tone that comes from the oscillation of the strings and the resonance of that within the body of the instrument.

Lastly, how you play also has influence on your tone also. All things to keep into consideration, but when you use metal you narrow and limit tonally to a very specific frequency range. Hence the tone sucking.

180OUT 11-03-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

To answer your question, yes and no. Materials and methods of working with the strings are very important. Specific woods allow for things like sustain, active and passive tonal consistencies. Tone is a big deal with many musicians... That why you have hardbody guitars like LP's, and many others that musician swear by.
Thanks for this. I'll confess to a little eliteism about guitars that are different from what I play. Reading autobiographies from Neil Young, Keith Richards, and Eric Clapton, it was obvious that their favorite hardbody electrics had tonal qualities that I wasn't understanding. Now I do.

AlfaFunatic 11-03-2014 06:09 PM

Jim,

You will find tastes all over the place. Some swear by neck through body, others bolt on and then there is those that are of the joint variety. Personally I have a little bit of everything depending on what I am playing, generally though I like the neck through and joint types as they seem to produce the best sustain and tonal qualities I like...

DPeterson3 11-03-2014 07:45 PM

I have a 1951 ES295 that is about as old-school as you can find. The tone makes people think of lost lovers and turn to hard drink. I have an early 60's Epiphone Wilshire that I bought back in the day for $43. As a guitar, it is an unsophisticated wiggly plank of wood. However, it is equipped with one of its original miniature humbuckers at the neck. a hot-rails bridge, and an original Danelectro lipstick in the middle. It is wired in stereo, and the whole mess of pickups can be sent anywhere in any combination or phase. When it plays, people drop their jaws and ask "how do you get that sound????!!!"

These days, I mainly play the guitar that was born the same year as I was, and remember lost loves. I've tapered the hard drink down, however.

The Alfa guitar appears fit to play only a few Muddy Waters tunes, by someone that can sound like Muddy himself. Or Billy G.

AlfaFunatic 11-04-2014 10:59 AM

Thats funny you should mention Muddy... My first guitar was a 71 Tele.

DPeterson3 11-04-2014 11:12 AM

I used to borrow a kids VERY early Fender Broadcaster. Loved it. I wouldn't mind having a good Tele, but apart from "Hot Rod Lincoln", it wouldn't fit the rest of what I do.

MadMachinistJoe 11-04-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaparticle (Post 5536634)

:thumbup: I love this! When i see stuff like this, it makes me want to learn guitar.

velocedoc 11-04-2014 10:31 PM

A nice edition to any ones den wall next to the 4C that gets parked in the house. :)

180OUT 11-04-2014 10:43 PM

In case anyone's interested, here is a good book about guitars and guitar making. Wayne Henderson is a famous steel-string acoustic guitar builder. The author writes about spending time in his shop while he builds a guitar for Eric Clapton. Typically, Clapton didn't much appreciate the instrument. But then the story's not really about him, despite the title of the book. The book's a good read.

Clapton's Guitar: Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument: Allen St. John: 9780743266369: Amazon.com: Books

alfaparticle 11-05-2014 07:13 AM

The book will most likely be a Christmas present for my guitar playing son. Thanks for the tip.

HeavyMetalAlfa 11-05-2014 09:07 AM

The Alfa guitar would make an excellent wall hanger, methinks. I don't think it would sound good, but I would love to have it proved differently.
The one pictured in the above link is different from the first one I saw on the web last year, at least this one has a bridge! The other one was prettier though.
This one probably sounds like a metal Dobro, electrified.
For me, for 40 years, Fender P Bass and Strat.