Changing the subject within threads - Page 527 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #7891 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 01:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
Hopefully, you're looking locally so you don't have to deal with health certificates and crossing state lines.
I'll make sure their travel papers are in order and have a stamp from the party officer.
Have I ever said how much I love not living in California?

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I lived in CA three times and last left in 76 before it went crazy. Last visited in 2000 when my son was living there.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #7893 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 PM

Changing the Subject within Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce View Post
I'll make sure their travel papers are in order and have a stamp from the party officer.
Have I ever said how much I love not living in California?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
I lived in CA three times and last left in 76 before it went crazy. Last visited in 2000 when my son was living there.
No, I don't remember either of you mentioning just how much you love not living in California. Now, I could be rude and aniti-social and say that California doesn't need any more people, but that wouldn't be very nice of a 3rd generation native Californian, now would it?

I've lived other places, but I guess, I'm most comfortable here; although, the increasing temperatures get me down and send my electric bill up. At one time, I considered living 1/2 a year in California and 1/2 a year in Michigan. So Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Maryland, etc. are not on my radar. While I love the coolness and the beautiful country roads in the NW, I'm not a duck and it rains too often for me.

But, you're right -- California has changed a lot over the years that I've lived here; not always for the good.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)

Last edited by Pat Braden; 06-19-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7894 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Cheryl, have I ever told you how much I appreciated the old days when Oregon and Washington were not CAfornicated? Tom McCall ring a bell? I've only been here for 64 years and 6 months, but I no longer can tell where CA ends and CA North begins. Sad, but I hate living in California Junior, the left coast. You can have it, if La Raza doesn't beat you to the whole enchilada.

Sad that this country is getting smaller, no where to run. Landscape is nothing like when my family started the first ferry over the Snake river and taught sunday school to the original owners. Now I know how the Nez Perce and Umatilla felt, except we seem to no longer have a great white father to kick around.

Todays toy count: 2012 Challenger, 97 SVT Cobra conv, 74 BMW r60/6, 52 Chevy Styleline Deluxe, (last of 12 previous Alfa's now gone).

Last edited by RC Hiatt; 06-20-2011 at 06:09 PM.
post #7895 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Hiatt View Post
Cheryl, have I ever told you how much I appreciated the old days when Oregon and Washington were not CAfornicated? ...
In Texas we said that Austin was Californicated. When I was in Austin I could go to a meeting in San Jose and be back home in less time than it took to drive up to Dallas, meet there, and drive back to Austin. I think it was AA1920, we called it the Nerd Bird. All those CA folks moving to Austin made it very difficult for Texans to buy a house in Austin, but I think the RE crash equalized that a bunch the last few years.

There is one thing I'll say about being stuck in AL (I mean.. living in AL.. sorry about that Jim and Frank ) The weather here is about the best mix of not so Gott Dang hot in the summer, and just cold enough to have a winter without it being a PITA, as any place I have ever been. And in spite of being an egghead town full of 50 pound brains, like Austin, Huntsville seems to have avoid the, what I will call "problems" that are plauging Austin.
But with more tornados.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7896 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 PM

Larry,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce
The weather here is about the best mix of not so Gott Dang hot in the summer, and just cold enough to have a winter without it being a PITA, as any place I have ever been.
Even if I could learn to accommodate the weather, the bullet holes would bother me. So far I've escaped those in California with a couple of far too close viewings of police dropping suspects during felony stops. Just in the right place at the right time, I guess.

And in staying with the thread....

I love your Abraham Lincoln quote. I must have overlooked it previously.

Cheryl

Last edited by Pat Braden; 06-21-2011 at 07:08 PM.
post #7897 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Garage
That is a funny one, isn't it. Old Abe was spot on with that one.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7898 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
The real crazy part about both the left and right coast now is the traffic. We have a land locked issue here being our escape routes are 6 possible ways and 5 of them involve bridges changing into holes in the water which are tunnels.

As for CA everytime my son would call me to visit I knew he was stopped in traffic somewhere in Orange county area.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #7899 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce View Post
The weather here is about the best mix of not so Gott Dang hot in the summer, and just cold enough to have a winter without it being a PITA, as any place I have ever been.
You have never been to Reno. I thought I was going to hate it here, but I, as many others have (quietly - shhh!) discovered, love it. The summers are hot, yes, but not nearly as hot as you would think. A/C is not really needed, (a key point for us 'fistis), as you just roll down a window and the cool Sierra air comes pouring in. The winters are a real winter with snow and all, but not much snow in the city, and it never gets stupid cold, AND I can be on my skis in fresh powder in half an hour. Beat that Alabama!

Randy Lee

"HAVE another cookie!!" - Don Corrado Prizzi

Randy's Italian Lot:
1978 Sport Sedan - "Cecilia", a rustfree Alfetta
1990 Mondial T Cabrio - Engine major service, climate control overhaul, and interior tune up still to go - Short is on it!!
1958 Giullietta Sprint. "G.Sprint" No holds barred. 3.0 Liter 12 Valve V6 and Verde transaxle just to get warmed up!
1976 Alfetta GT. Twin 45 Dellortos. Alfetta maintainence drug while Cecilla gets restored.
1978 Alfetta GT. Ex Keith Martin, and getting a nice set of Euro Bumpers along with the rest of the good parts off the '76.
ON HOLD 196x Lancia Flaminia Sedan - name and the rest TBD.

Ex:
79 Spt Sdn. "Griswold" and never-driven '74 Spider sold to Harry Riley
74 Spider "Isabel" traded for "Cecilia" Thanks Ric!
(Look at Isabel now:
!!)
1979 Sport Sedan Alfamatic. Traded to Wilbur for a very sweet bicycle - thanks!
All the parts cars chopped up or sent to Larry...
post #7900 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
...As for CA everytime my son would call me to visit I knew he was stopped in traffic somewhere in Orange county area.
Orange County traffic even when grid-locked is a breeze compared to Los Angeles vicinity traffic. I used to make the UCLA drive often and then USC with Pat and my oldest daughter there. No fun....

Cheryl
post #7901 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
Orange County traffic even when grid-locked is a breeze compared to Los Angeles vicinity traffic. I used to make the UCLA drive often and then USC with Pat and my oldest daughter there. No fun....
His Office was in Santa Fe Springs and home was in Laguna Nigel.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #7902 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyleepublic View Post
...AND I can be on my skis in fresh powder in half an hour...
I'll take the tornados. Places where you can be on skis are places I like hearing about. We have a guy in Reno working on an NG helicopter. He's enjoying himself. He played Blackjack last week with Buddy Guy. I wouldn't have believed it but he sent us a picture.

Cheryl, people here quit shooting at me once I got moved in. They're touchy about that. They don't like folks they don't know getting close to their meth labs. We're cool now. Plus I can return fire now so mutually assured destruction is helping keep the peace. I guess in CA to keep from getting shot you stay out of the bad neighborhoods. In AL to keep from getting shot you stay out of the good ones.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7903 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 PM

only skis here are water skis--with a motorized vehicle pulling you. I can go lake sailing all winter long

Frank Livesay Huntsville, AL
Green Alfa - 68 Canadian 1750 Spider Veloce (driver)
White Alfa - 68 Euro 1750 GTV (needs a refresh)
post #7904 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 PM

I wonder....

Who put the bomp in the bop she bop?

[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
post #7905 of 8652 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Garage
Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

I know who tried but he resigned last Thursday. So I don't know whose job it is now.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode