Italian Bicycles - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 05:43 AM

Garage
Update

10 Years on from my original posting on this Thread (post #21) - It's time for an update...

I have sold the previous bike & this is my latest bike:

Name:  Full_EPS_Built_11.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  63.2 KB

It is a Colnago EPS, with a Campagnolo Record 10speed groupset.

I bought the frame from a guy in Italy and all the components on Ebay & assembled it over the past few months...

Needless to say - it rides beautifully

spiderJohnNH likes this.

Nick W.
The problem with modern cars? - Too many computers, not enough carburetors...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 135 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV18 View Post
10 Years on from my original posting on this Thread (post #21) - It's time for an update...

I have sold the previous bike & this is my latest bike:

Attachment 949313

It is a Colnago EPS, with a Campagnolo Record 10speed groupset.

I bought the frame from a guy in Italy and all the components on Ebay & assembled it over the past few months...

Needless to say - it rides beautifully

Beautiful bike, great for long rides I would imagine - how do you like it?
post #108 of 135 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 03:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regie View Post
Beautiful bike,
Thanks Regie, I took it out for its maiden ride a few weeks ago.
(It is unseasonably warm here at the moment, - you wouldn't normally find me on a bicycle in January)

I rode from London (St Margarets) to Windsor and back, approx 50 miles for the round trip.

I couldn't be happier with the way the bike performed, it is noticeably stiffer & more lively than the old C40 (in a good way) yet still remains comfortable...

A friend of mine is trying to convince me to do 'London to Paris' this summer, I'm sure the bike will handle that distance with ease, - as for the rider - I cannot say!?

Name:  Full_EPS_Built_05.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  189.5 KB

Nick W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 AM

Garage
Update/Upgrades

Almost 2 years after building up this bike. its still going strong...

I ride with my local club - St Margarets (SMCC) - most weekends, anywhere between 45 to 75 miles on a Sunday morning.

Name:  IMAG0742_s.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  56.7 KB

I've added some new Wheels, and a new Saddle & Seatpost. Also lowered the handlebars by 15mm.

Name:  IMAG0825_s.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  35.2 KB

I also picked up this beauty a few months ago from a friend in Italy, its an original,
- not one of the modern repros that are so popular these days...

Nick W.
post #110 of 135 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Platinum Subscriber

70th Birthday Ride

I celebrated my 70th birthday today with a 70 Km (43.6) mile ride on my 1986 Pinarello. My birthday was yesterday but the weather was better today - 70F high.

I bought the bike on Craigslist a few years ago and it had been neglected - dull and oxidized paint and chrome and a broken derailleur. It cleaned up nicely and I replaced the old Shimano components with wore modern Campagnolo. Like all of the steel framed Italian bikes of that era, it is a comfortable and responsive ride.
Attached Images

Renaldo and NMMilano like this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #111 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 02:35 PM

did some updating on my pinarello dogma 1 piece carbon handlebar stem, and time 15 pedals...now down to 15.2 pounds without saddle bag and on campagnolo neutron ultra wheels
Attached Images

alfaparticle likes this.

Last edited by bianchi2; 05-13-2018 at 02:43 PM.
post #112 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
1968/69 Colnago Super

After watching for years for just the right vintage bike, I found this 1968 or 69 Colnago Super just a few miles from my home. There are a few "incorrect" parts, but nothing that can keep me from riding the snot out of it. I'll need to find a period clamp-on bottle cage, and maybe get a longer chain so the hub sits a little farther back in the dropout, but it's otherwise good to go. Can't wait!

These early Supers are fairly rare in the USA as they all came through the Velosport bike shop in Berkeley, CA. This is before Colnago began using the Club as his trademark despite the cut-outs in the lugs. The cut-outs are actually a tribute to the three-leafed lily shaped lugs used by Gloria bicycles, the builder where Colnago apprenticed in the late 1940s.

Name:  P1010396.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  267.3 KB

Name:  P1010401.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  237.7 KB

Name:  P1010402.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  260.2 KB

Name:  P1010398.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  256.3 KB

Name:  P1010410.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  235.7 KB
davbert and GTV18 like this.

Brad
'69 Series 1 GTV (105.51)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'78 Alfetta GT (Sprint Veloce)

Last edited by ShadeTree; 08-03-2018 at 09:12 PM.
post #113 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:13 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Very nice! Is it Campy Record?

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #114 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:53 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTree View Post
After watching for years for just the right vintage bike, I found this 1968 or 69 Colnago Super just a few miles from my home. There are a few "incorrect" parts, but nothing that can keep me from riding the snot out of it. I'll need to find a period clamp-on bottle cage, and maybe get a longer chain so the hub sits a little farther back in the dropout, but it's otherwise good to go. Can't wait!

These early Supers are fairly rare in the USA as they all came through the Velosport bike shop in Berkeley, CA. This is before Colnago began using the Club as his trademark despite the cut-outs in the lugs. The cut-outs are actually a tribute to the three-leafed lily shaped lugs used by Gloria bicycles, the builder where Colnago apprenticed in the late 1940s.
It's nice to see the the purist in you applies to more than the car. Cool bike. For me, there's nothing better than a steel frame.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #115 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
Very nice! Is it Campy Record?
It's mostly period correct Nuovo Record, but with a few incorrect parts (for now).

Brad

post #116 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Here's the 68/69 Colnago ready to ride.

While it should have Series 1 NR brake levers, I replaced those that were on the bike (Series 2) with NOS Series 4 NR levers since they have the shorter reach I need, then wrapped the bars in black cotton tape. I was disappointed to have to replace the milled seatpost but it was too short. I found a lightly used 180mm post as a replacement. I also found a used but correct front derailleur. I replaced the well-worn 54t chainring (sadly - loved the drilling) with a lightly used 52t ring for a better range of gears with a donated 14-24 Regina G.S. Corse freewheel.

I intended to replace the 17-21 5-speed freewheel anyway, but when a spoke broke on the drive side while my bike mech, Hans, was trueing the rear wheel, he was forced to destroy the freewheel to get it off since the freewheel ears had been mangled by a PO. This also forced a rebuilding of the rear wheel. While he was at it, he rebuilt the rear derailleur to make it work properly. He also correctly re-spaced the rear dropouts back to 120mm since a PO spread it to 126mm for a 6-speed.

I also installed an NOS pump clip for the NOS Silca frame pump (w/Campy head), NOS Zeus spare tire holder under the seat, NOS brake pads, and NOS ALE bottle cage, toe clips and straps.

I test rode it around the neighborhood with tape on the bottoms of my old Sidis to get the placement for the cleats and I must say, it rides REALLY nice. Eventually I'll get a pair of Dettos and a vintage jersey to round out the look.

Now it just needs to stop raining so I can get it on the road.

Name:  P1010954.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  251.9 KB
davbert, GTV18 and NMMilano like this.

Brad

Last edited by ShadeTree; 09-30-2018 at 11:52 PM.
post #117 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:10 AM
Platinum Subscriber

That is a very nice bike. Congratulations.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #118 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTree View Post
... I found this 1968 or 69 Colnago Super
Very very nice. I love the drilled out chain ring.

I ride a modern (2006) Colnago steel.

1967 1600 Spider
post #119 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
I ride a modern (2006) Colnago steel.
This is my daily ride, a 2001 Dream B-Stay with full 11-speed Campy Athena.

Name:  IMG_5933.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  245.8 KB

Brad

post #120 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:01 AM

Garage
Very nice!

Here's my buddy -
Master X-Light steel, Chorus 10, carbon seat post and steerer / fork, Look Keo pedals (wait!...those are French!), Ksyrium wheels. We've switched to Clement tires and really like them. My son races for the University and cyclocross in the fall.

Name:  DSC08913.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  188.4 KB

Name:  Colnago FA.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  182.1 KB

Name:  Colnago-Bianchi.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  236.3 KB

On my son's E30 with his Serotta at a C&C. Next to my friends Spider, a '62 Morgan, and a '67 911.
Name:  bmw6.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  245.8 KB
ShadeTree likes this.

1967 1600 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode