Italian Bicycles - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:11 AM

Would love a colnago with campy equipment (you lucky dogs) and maybe someday.... But this is what I have my eye set on right now for only about $2200. At least the design has a heavy Italian influence and they get rave reviews.
John
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 AM

you can get that bike with campy centar, and really have a nice bikeand it would go faster

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
post #78 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:47 AM

Tempting, very tempting. The only bike I've owned with campy gear was a Raleigh Professional back in 1975 Should have held onto it.

The next (and current) bike was a cannondale. I love the torque of the latter but the aluminum frame transmitted every road defect to my hands and I kept feeling like I was riding on the rims with flat tires compared to a steel frame. Apparently the Cervelo, even in aluminum, is a vast improvement over the cannondale. Stiffness was never a problem for me because I'm 6'4" and have a 63 cm frame, so stiffness is actually a good thing.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 AM

..i had the same bike. i loved the 'fastback' seat stays, and the light blue/siver paint.

post #80 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 AM

Same color even. Right out of high school I went on a 1300 mile trip from CT to northern MI with friends (Raleigh Pro, Raleigh Supercourse, PX10, and Atala). The only italian was the Atala and it was the least expensive but it sure had problems compared to the rest of the pack.
post #81 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM

...hey... it was an italian bike.. what did you expect? all italian girls/bikes want attenion..

post #82 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 PM

colnago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraX View Post
I think the Colnago would be my choice, but I have always been partial to the lugs on DeRosa's

C
I just happen to notice the emblem on my 164l dipstick matches the emblem on the colnago I ride sometimes.
post #83 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:18 PM

Smile Masi "Prestige"

Hi,

Ever since I first saw "Breaking Away" (I know, I know...) around 35 years ago, I've always hankered for a red Masi with yellow bar tape & cables, as ridden by Dave Stoler/"Enrico Gimondi". I have an '85 Bianchi Brava that I ride weekly (as well as a few "antiques"), but life has been incomplete without the Masi...

About three years ago, and after waiting in vain for a Masi Grand Criterium in my size, I bought a red 58 cm Masi Prestige frame (circa 1980?) off of Ebay Germany. Turns out that the added bonus is that the Prestige frame was never imported unto the US, so I have the (dubious) added cache of owning a "grey market" bike ;-)

Since then (and more aggressively in the last six months), I've been judiciously bidding on and buying parts off of Ebay. Two weeks ago, I realized that I only needed brakes to have a complete parts kit- so I clicked "buy it now" on a brakeset, and took the frame and parts in to be built up.

Here's what is on my frame:

Hubs: Campy NR
Rims: Fiamme clincher
Tires: Panaracer- decent condition, gum sided; came on the wheels. Will be changed out for fat, gum-sided Vittoria's
Skewers: Campy NR
Seatpost: Campy NR;
Seat: Concor Profil
Stem: Cinelli
Bars: Cinelli Competizione
Front Derailleur: Campy NR
Rear Derailleur: Campy NR
Brakes: NOS Campy Triomphe
Pedals: Ofmega stradale
Toeclips: Christophe (will be changed out for Cinelli or Campy in the future)
Pedal straps: EAP (may be changed out for Campy or other Italian in the future)

I have $656.31 in parts, $275 of which was the NOS Campy Triomphe brakeset, and +/- $400 for the frame (excluding shipping from Germany. I may be upside-down on this project, but I'll never sell the bike, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Today, after several weeks of waiting, I was able to pick her up. I'll take her for a quick spin after dinner tonight, and a ~ 14 mile ride (but with some elevations) on Saturday.

Lousy photo attached.
Attached Images

1966 Giulia Super (current)
1966 Giulia Super (R.I.P.)
1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
post #84 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:44 AM

Hey Il, nice Masi. I've always liked the 3V. Just to let you know in case you forgot to list it, it looks like you are running a Campy Victory crankset. But again, it could be a Triomphe. I'm not familiar with that grouppo. In the late 80's I had a 3Rensho with the Victory grouppo. For giggles, I've added a cell phone shot of my old handlebars and stem from my Ciocc, my other Italian pride and joy. I keep it hanging over the divider at my desk at work. I used my old Victory levers since I thought they looked nicer than Super Record. Unfortunately it was the only component that wasn't pantographed with Ciocc.
Attached Images

Howie
1970 1750 GTV
post #85 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howieb4 View Post
Hey Il, nice Masi. I've always liked the 3V. Just to let you know in case you forgot to list it, it looks like you are running a Campy Victory crankset. But again, it could be a Triomphe. I'm not familiar with that grouppo. In the late 80's I had a 3Rensho with the Victory grouppo. For giggles, I've added a cell phone shot of my old handlebars and stem from my Ciocc, my other Italian pride and joy. I keep it hanging over the divider at my desk at work. I used my old Victory levers since I thought they looked nicer than Super Record. Unfortunately it was the only component that wasn't pantographed with Ciocc.
Thanks, Howbie! Yes, forgot to mention the crankset- it is Campy Victory.

I'd love a Ciocc- their build quality, from the 1-2 I've been fortunate enought to see, is just jaw-dropping.

1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
post #86 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:52 PM

Here's my '85 Bianchi Brava:
Attached Images

1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
post #87 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM

If I get my wits together today, I'll post a picture of my Ciocc, and my Martini Racing Bianchi mountain bike.

Howie
1970 1750 GTV
post #88 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Well my wits are together and here are my other Italian beauties. I've had the Ciocc since 1985. The custom paint has been on it close to twenty years. The pantographed super record brakes are off the bike as is stem and handlebar. So is the rear derailleur. I traded a Mantis Valkyrie X-Frame made by Richard Cunningham for the Bianchi. It still pains me when I think about the trade. The top tube on the Mantis was just too short for me. Both of these bikes ride like a dream.
Attached Images

Howie
1970 1750 GTV
post #89 of 135 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 10:09 PM

my orbea

full campagnolo except for the ' time' pedals carbon handell bars.. vetta hr with cadance... all campagnolo wheels nucleon, neutrons ,zonda's , etc.. she may not be Italain.. but at one point , Spain was part of the Roman empire.. so to me , she is a latin bike...... and one more thing...no wossie compact crank for me a true 53/39 175 mm
Attached Images

post #90 of 135 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 10:11 PM

main triangle aluiumn,, rear stays, rear chain stay. fork.. carbon..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode