|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|08-22-2019 07:56 PM|
After removing the bad exhaust valve guides....the new ones were ready to go in. I will be installing oil seals on the exhaust guides as well hence the difference with the original non-seal ones. Getting the guides out was a bit of a task...but it just took many repeated small amplitude blows with a 3 lb hammer (I was afraid of mushrooming the guide if a heavy blow was applied to them)....it was good work-out I'll tell you.
The exhaust valves I bed blasted then polished them out a little bit by chucking them in the lathe and using wet sand paper.
The head was sent out to have .006" machined off since the surface was lightly pitted and corroded. The valve seats were also re-faced and lapped.
Which brings me to this week's work....re-installing all the valves, springs and oil seals then using the recommended factory method for checking the sealing at the valve faces. Which entails filling the chambers with white spirits or varsol and blowing compressed air from the port side and on the back of the valve heads....then looking for air bubbles.
Sure enough, only 2 valves were not leaking.....the other 6 were leaking ...so I will have to lap some more...
|08-22-2019 07:28 PM|
Cylinder Head Rebuild
I started the cylinder head rebuild a few months ago while multi tasking on the engine block and crankshaft work. Cleaning was the first obvious chore at hand......commencing with degrease and wash.
What was left was the usual carbon build-up around the valve seats and inside the ports.
The valve deposits were unreal....probably about 1/8" thick of caked on carbon on both sides......
After thoroughly sealing & duct taping out all the water passage openings and all oil passage openings...off to the blast cabinet went the head for some bead blasting. That was the only way to get that carbon completely off.
Next...careful measurements of the valves & valve guide bores were taken. Amazingly the exhaust valves were within spec, but the exhaust guides were totally way out of spec by at least .010" over .....probably explains why so much oil was being deposited on the exhaust valve heads.
On the intake valve side...all the guides were within spec....but the intake valves were badly pitted at the seat contact areas. So an order for 4 new intake valves and 4 new exhaust valve guides was placed...along with a full complement of gaskets and seals all around.
|08-18-2019 03:06 PM|
I feel I reached a mini milestone on the engine build. About 10 years ago I was disassembling the bottom end of the engine....
..after today's activities.....good thorough cleaning....and yet more hardware plating....
Attachment 1583324 Attachment 1583326
.....I am declaring the bottom end as completed!.... But I do need to install the rear main seal and flywheel and complete the torquing of that large pulley nut....(this is where I wish I had build a proper ALFA engine stand that allows full access to the back of the engine)....Instead of going with this cheapo generic one.
|08-16-2019 04:59 PM|
|ossodiseppia||Ok, Rossano. I got your email. When I get off my butt, I'll reply and we will get you hooked up.|
|08-16-2019 01:13 PM|
|08-16-2019 04:05 AM|
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
It's a water slide decal which will need to be clear coated.
|08-16-2019 03:49 AM|
Originally Posted by quadrifolio View Post
|08-15-2019 10:29 PM|
|08-15-2019 07:20 PM|
|08-15-2019 07:02 PM|
|08-15-2019 06:14 PM|
|08-15-2019 06:09 PM|
|08-15-2019 02:03 PM|
|brad fischer||Why is the water pump pulley so deep?|
|08-15-2019 05:10 AM|
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
|08-15-2019 04:02 AM|
Well as it turned out...the balancing shop did not have the circlips in their possession....and as so often happens with misplaced items....sometimes you just need to take a break and resume the search...and sure enough a few days later....I find the dang things right there in the corner of my work bench!
The liner o-rings however were nowhere to be found....so a quick call to Classic Alfa...was needed to order a new set (with a spare for good measure). I believe this time they came in record time..4 days amazingly. That allowed me to finally complete the installation of the liners, pistons, connecting rods and oil pump.
..and for good measure I threw on the alternator.....I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this engine build...especially since the cylinder head is all ready to be re-assembled....(pics to follow)...
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|