Borrani Mag Wheels - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Borrani Mag Wheels

I'm currently in the process of having my Series 2 1750 GTV restored back to original condition.
It was an Australian car imported into NZ in 1979, originally to Wellington, then to Christchurch in 1984. When imported into NZ, it had Borrani magnesium alloy wheels as in the attached borrowed photo (middle wheel).
These were sold by Ansell Eurospares in 1998. I'd be keen to buy them back if anyone knows who has them, or alternatively if anyone in NZ has some they would be interested in selling I'd be keen to hear from them.
Cheers,
Attached Images

Richard A
[COLOR=Red]'68 1750 GTV, '71 1750 GTV[/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:06 AM

You could try puting a wanted add on Trade Me and also on the AROC web site.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:07 PM

There was a silver 2000 GTV here in ChCh that was an ex Earls Court Motorshow car that deteriorated and then disappeared from the scene in ChCh that was fitted with those wheels. I suspect the car is sitting in someone`s garage as it has never reappeared and I haven`t heard of it ever being parted out locally so someone is sitting on these wheels and may want to part with them.
I know that you are a member of the local Alfa club Richard, so it might pay to ask around.

Richard J

`65 Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Borrani Wheels

Hi
I think that was my car you possibly spotted in ChCh. It is a 72 1750 and disappeared into Auto Restorations garage for 3 years re-appearing last year for its inaugural Sth Island roadie.
I bought those wheels from Phil @ Eurospares. Unfortunately I'm not willing to part with them as I search globally before purchasing, ironically in my home town of ChCh some years back.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:21 PM

No Nic it wasn`t your car-the car was a 2litre first owned by an aquaintance of mine John McCormack, then by his brother Robert McCormack, then it was sold and just disappeared-by then it was pretty shabby.
I think probably the wheels you have Nic were on Phil Ansell`s own 1750, a dark metallic grey car with Melba alloys (the car came form West Australia and was pretty battered underneath when Phil got it). Phil sold the car without the alloys-seems like you were the buyer.
What colour is your 1750?

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Hi Nic,
Thanks for the post. My car is Phil's old silver GTV. I am having it restored to original condition by Rustorations here in Christchurch. I would have loved to get its old wheels back but by the sounds of it will have to make do with another alternative. It's nice to find out where they ended up. Have you got some pictures of your car you can post ?
As the old saying goes - if you ever want to sell .... !
Cheers,

Richard A
[COLOR=Red]'68 1750 GTV, '71 1750 GTV[/COLOR]
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 AM

Restored 1750

Hi
I'm sure there must be more of wheels out there. I know they were, some what of a option on the Australian models. So don't give up.
Heres a picture taken just out of Kiakoura on its first day of maiden road trip.
Attached Images

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Nic , that car is beautiful, -thank you for posting the picture. Mind you if Auto Restorations did it it should be, being one of the worlds foremost restoration workshops.
I can see the confusion as the car I was talking about was a 2 litre this colour. Was the Earls Court Motor Show car before the British Car Show moved to Birmingham. Had the charcoal cloth trim, that style alloy etc.
Lovely to see a departure from resale red-I assume that was the original colour?
Do you use the car much?

Richard J
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 12:22 AM

I think I may know what garage the 1974 gtv is on ... My mothers.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM

Coincidently I think the car is currently on TradeMe, minus the wheels it originally had.
That car looks exactly as I remember it even down to the year it arrived in NZ. Unfortunately the guys in ChCh that owned it -two brothers, one straight after the other were two rich guys who loved cars but didn`t really look after things- it was raced in our "Country Gents" meetings at Wigram (closed meetings-no "rif raf" you know-invited members only) and left outside unwashed unloved most of its life own here.
I can remember being in Merivale Mall one day when an announcement came over the system...would the owner of a silver Alfa Romeo please come out to the carpark immediately your car has deposited the contents of its fuel tank onto the bitumen and we have a very dangerous situation..It was just one downhill slide. I actually tried to buy the car because it was such a smart looking car, packed with a few special features, had an interesting history, and I felt compelled to save it from deteriorating further but I think it was traded in as part payment on another exotic....such is life. Wondered what happened to it but was told it had gone out of Christchurch.

Richard J
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 PM

I saw your question on Facebook. The papers I have go back to 88 and it was owned by a mr McDonald ? Are you sure it was McCormack ?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 PM

Sorry, not Facebook ... Trade me
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM

And yes, the car did come from Chch. It was shipped to Wellington in 88 where my father had it re worked at the toy shop and the rust prevention re done. It's sat in his garage for the last 20 odd years. He's since passed on and my mother wants it out if the garage. I'd love to see it go to an enthusiast .... As would have my farher
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM

If the car was originally ziebarted there will be tell-tale holes in the various panels with small black plastic plugs c. 10mm diameter. Most easily seen on the A and B posts but evident throughout the car. (I worked for Ziebart in the UK in the early 70s - a very messy task!)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 PM

It was about the mid `80`s from memory it went from ChCh - just about put money on it that it`s the same car.

Richard J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode