Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   New Zealand Forum (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/new-zealand-forum/)
-   -   Insurance recommendations? (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/new-zealand-forum/679416-insurance-recommendations.html)

PSk 05-07-2019 01:35 PM

Insurance recommendations?

My lovely wife is making unpleasant noises about the cost of insuring the 156v6, especially now that the insurance company values it @$4k. Costing $1k a year to fully insure.

I'm thinking of dropping down to just 3rd party, fire and theft ...
Pete

Graham Hilder 05-10-2019 04:29 AM

G'day Pete, Graham here, from Alfaclub in Paekak. If it's not a daily driver, look at classic car insurance. All sorts of companies do it. Our 156 TS SW is with AA Insurance Classic cover, and it's $113 a year for $4k Agreed Value comprehensive cover, $400 excess and no special windscreen arrangements. We've had classic cover at one company or another for ages, and over the years the rules on how old the car has to be and how few annual miles you're allowed (to be a classic) have relaxed greatly. Even a semi-daily driver might qualify these days. Worth a look?
Best regards,
Graham H

alfasrule 05-10-2019 02:54 PM

Got a rider(I have antiques and don't drive them often, but I do and get my fun) on my Homeowners Insurance and have 5 cars on this policy. VERY cheap. Me daily driver is on my regular policy.
If the car is over 25 years old register it as an Antique ($23.00 vs $72.00 in VT) and talk to your Insurance Company.

For Example I pay ~$180.00 for me Montreal with complete coverage and valued at $80,000, and I'm not going to drive Da Pumpkin to work everyday! Especially after they see it.
The only PIA is the company comes by or i have go there every few years to take pictures to make sure I'm not pulling a fast one. It's been over 20 years I've had this policy.
State Farm

alfasrule 05-10-2019 03:01 PM

Got a rider(I have antiques and don't drive them often, but I do and get my fun) on my Homeowners Insurance and have 5 cars on this policy. VERY cheap. Me daily driver is on my regular policy.
If the car is over 25 years old register it as an Antique ($23.00 vs $72.00 in VT) and talk to your Insurance Company.

For Example I pay ~$180.00 for me Montreal with complete coverage and valued at $80,000, and I'm not going to drive Da Pumpkin to work everyday! Especially after they see it.
The only PIA is the company comes by or i have go there every few years to take pictures to make sure I'm not pulling a fast one. It's been over 20 years I've had this policy.
State Farm

PSk 05-11-2019 01:59 PM

Cheers!

Pete

PSk 05-21-2019 03:00 PM

I've decided to go with third-party, fire, theft and windscreen insurance, not full insurance. I did manage to get a significantly cheaper quote from a different company, but based on the fact that this car was written off previously in an extremely minor accident, it is most likely going to be written off again in close to any accident. A relative of mine is potentially going to suffer the same issue with her European car (Mk5 VW Golf).

On top of our car being written off, NZ insurers have a reputation for paying well below what the replacement cost is, so you lose your car and cannot replace it with an equivalent => not worth fully insuring a 15+ year old European car in NZ IMO. So if she does get involved in an accident, I will have to fix it myself or pay for it's repairs myself, but at least I don't lose this wonderful car ... most likely repaired by purchasing a replacement bumper and guard from a wrecked car.

Hope I have made the right decision ... only time will tell.
Pete