Importing a Classic from Australia - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Importing a Classic from Australia

Hi

Does any one have experience with importing a classic car from Australia? An online quote estimates the importing cost alone to be around $2.5K (NZD) for a medium sized sedan. Obviously this is basically just the transporting cost and does not include any taxes etc. If I understand correctly then you perhaps don't pay any import tax for a classic car other than GST?

Any additional info will be helpful.

Many thanks
Jannes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:08 AM

Garage
I Haven't imported a car from Australia, I did sell a car from here to the US. the guy went with roll on roll off, as it was cheaper, so no container. I would say there is some issues with going down that path. see if its an option. I know the clearance charges can add a lot to the costs, so do your research first. normally a customs agent can tell you the whole costs.

cheers ian

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:47 AM

Garage
Paging PSK.
I'm sure he has an opinion

I believe he took his 105 coupe with him recently to NZ from Aust.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, my research so far reveals the following:

‘Landed cost’ = purchase price + shipping cost
GST = 15% of landed cost
Total cost = landed cost + gst + insurance

Example (rounded off values only):
For a medium sized sedan classic car the shipping cost is about $2500. If the car costs $30000 then
GST =$ 4800
Insurance = $400
Total landing cost = $37700

So thats about 25% of the purchase price to be added...

Jannes
'64 Giulia 1600 Ti, '66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, '70 1750 GTV

Last edited by VeloceRosso; 02-06-2018 at 11:36 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:23 AM

Garage
talk to a customs agent and find out clearing charges. it killed a deal I was looking at as it added a fair bit more. ask a customs agent. maybe in new Zealand its different.

cheers ian

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALCAROZ View Post
talk to a customs agent and find out clearing charges. it killed a deal I was looking at as it added a fair bit more. ask a customs agent. maybe in new Zealand its different.

cheers ian
Thank you Ian.

Yes, I'll be speaking to an agent soon and hopefully find out about any other costs.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceRosso View Post
Hi

Does any one have experience with importing a classic car from Australia? An online quote estimates the importing cost alone to be around $2.5K (NZD) for a medium sized sedan. Obviously this is basically just the transporting cost and does not include any taxes etc. If I understand correctly then you perhaps don't pay any import tax for a classic car other than GST?

Any additional info will be helpful.

Many thanks
Jannes
hi,
I am a freight forwarder in Australia, if you need any help feel free to contact me.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 12:29 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Paging PSK.
I'm sure he has an opinion

I believe he took his 105 coupe with him recently to NZ from Aust.
It has gone both ways, lol. I don't think my car is a good example as it was in a million pieces in both trips and the last one it was transported in the same container (or so I was told, but don't care anyway) with our house contents.

But I will give Conroy Removals a plug as they dealt with our furniture and the GTV very well and the guys I was involved with really cared about the GTV, and I was contacted many times to say where it was and that it was inside safely in their warehouse, etc. Also if they had any questions or concerns, they rang me first and we discussed what to do next. I really appreciated that and on the trip from Australia to NZ happy to report she was not damaged at all. I think it cost $10k (Aussie or NZ dollars, can't remember but probably Aussie) for all our stuff to be freighted.

Good luck, and yes stick it in a container and make sure it is tied down well. Things happen to containers. I built a rolling frame that was designed to fit snugly into a container so even if it broke loose it would hit the sides first.
Pete
ps: My car had been registered in NZ before so that made things easier. They did do a rust check and because of this when I go to register my car it will have to be checked by an engineer before I start the painting process. Your car will not fail this check, but you will have to make sure she is spotless underneath because both Australia and NZ are paranoid about dirt and transporting things that can negatively affect their farming industries. If your car is NOT driveable please understand that a forklift may be involved in this process ... I'd really, really, really recommend checking this out before she is damaged as all cost is yours, and when I was getting my car back from in Australia I saw at least 2 classic cars that had sill/rocker damage from forklift use.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 05-04-2018 at 12:37 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
It has gone both ways, lol. I don't think my car is a good example as it was in a million pieces in both trips and the last one it was transported in the same container (or so I was told, but don't care anyway) with our house contents.

But I will give Conroy Removals
Thank you Pete.

On that note: Is it cheaper to ship a car disassembled than assembled? I assume a disassembled car's value is lower and therefore you will pay less import tax for example? I need to ship my 105 from South Africa at some point and wondering of I should ship it now before its completely assembled.

Jannes
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:10 PM
PSk

Well I'm torn here.

Importing parts used to be cheaper (don't know now?) but you have to careful here, ie. An engine with a cylinder head attached will attract import duty (I found this out to my cost back in my club racing days).

But an immobile car might be a magnet to a fork lift ... 😞

But then a mobile car might attract a hoon who decides to do a few quick laps ...

As a control freak I found the total lack of control terrifying the first time (going to Aussie) and until they release it to you they can do anything they like to your property ... I've heard horror stories regarding new cars from parents, like clocks being stolen from Maseratis and cold engine burn outs and if you say anything you will never see your car!

But I did have a pleasant experience last time with Conroy and the thing I liked is THEY packed and unpacked the container in their warehouse. The first shipping experience involved unpacking at the wharf ... you don't want that IMO.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 05-04-2018 at 07:21 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:37 PM

Does NZ have import rules regarding cars/parts containing asbestos?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:27 PM
PSk

Good question.

Aussie has gone crazy, so if NZ has also, best to sell it or stay put.

Distressing reading (but backs up my comments regarding the lack of control you have) :http://www.mercedesclub.org.nz/austr...ollector-cars/
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter7 View Post
Does NZ have import rules regarding cars/parts containing asbestos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Good question.

Aussie has gone crazy, so if NZ has also, best to sell it or stay put.

Distressing reading (but backs up my comments regarding the lack of control you have) :Australia, Asbestos and Collector Cars ? Mercedes-Benz Club Auckland
Pete
Okay... my car is staying in South Africa then

Time to apply to join the local AR club and start looking for my next Alfa!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 01:15 AM
PSk

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/ve...the-standards/

Legalities and Taxes - Importing into New Zealand/Australia
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:07 PM

car import into NZ

interesting reading. I imported a classic September last year from california without any hiccups. On the contrary it was smooth sailing all the way.

Like Pete mentioned in his article it was important to me that the shipper you use is reliable, trustworthy and has a good relationship with all parties involved. But even more important is that they can off-load the container at their premises. This is crucial in my opinion, to avoid damage, and this way you are only dealing with the shipper and all agencies like MPI etc will come to the shipper warehouse to inspect and by doing so no fork lift machinery involved.

About ten years ago we imported another car from California were we did not use this system resulting in damage done to the exhaust system by idiots using forklifts to move the car around. It took much longer and because the car sits somewhere in a warehouse you do not know what is going on for weeks/ months at the time.

so long story short it can still be an easy process but you have to choose you shipping company wisely and that they can off load at their premise with all inspections, fumigation dome at their site.

Same applies later on choosing you certifier, it can be smooth or extremely difficult and expensive. choose carefully!!
VeloceRosso likes this.

Lotus Elan plus two 1969, Alfa giulietta spider 1960, Lancia Appia saloon 1957
Lancia Fulvia Sport 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode