105 gearbox rebuild Auckland - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
105 gearbox rebuild Auckland

Hello,

Looking for someone to rebuild a 105 series gearbox with worn syncros in Auckland, I have the gearbox out of the vehicle and the parts to replace (Alfaholics parts).

The Italian Auto Centre and Continental Cars don't appear interested in taking to task on any suggestions...?

Cheers Richard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 09:02 PM

I have rebuild many Alfa gearboxes using a hydraulic press and a good a "C" clip tool to remove the synchronizer from the gear. I watched Donald Deane rebuild numerous gearboxes it was very easy. I always replaced synchros, sliders, front seal, rear seal and replaced every bearing. I know that many people say that replacing bearings is not needed, but I recently rebuild a tunnel case transmission that had a bad front layshaft bearing. I do not want to have a noisy gearbox due to old bearings. You will also need a good silicone sealer to seal the gearbox because Alfa gearboxes do not have any gaskets. I rebuilt three gearboxes at the same time and showed an owner how to rebuild his own gearbox. The main shaft should be assembled exactly the same with the shims in the correct order.

I recently rebuilt a gearbox with a totally destroyed second gear dog tooth, broken shift rod bolt and damaged shift mechanism.

I should make a video about rebuilding a gearbox, but you need to buy a ten ton hydraulic press with a wide carriage that will have enough clearance for the first gear.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:16 AM

Garage
Vins s4 transmission rebuild for dummies .......... search this thread

Current cars 1975 spyder under resto, 1973 Berlina Resto 1976 Berlina parts car 1972 GTjunior fully restored, 1 complete rolling shell spyder.exit 1989 75 T/S sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks, I have it sorted now although its in far worse condition than I anticipated with missing dog teeth...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 04:37 PM

The dog teeth can be purchased from Centerline Alfa.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hi Kuni, Yes purchased two last night and glad to find them also made in the US so should be quality. If I was anywhere but New Zealand it would be better value to purchase a reconditioned box but hey we can rebuild with quality parts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to jonevo
Hi, I can do it but i am in Ch-CH ?

if you travelling to New Zealand be sure to visit me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thank you Jonevo, I have looked at your website many a time I purchased the parts from Classic, Alfaholics and Centreline and found an ex Alfa mechanic in Auckland that knew his stuff and rebuilt the box.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Unable to respond to PM's about this at the moment due to low post count but this is who I used...

Ralf 021 02387700 is the very nice chap I had rebuild my Gearbox, ex Alfa trained as I understand and used to have his own shop working on the 105's, now works for Schofields and the Alfa's from his home double garage in Papakura in his own time, he has an extensive range of old Alfa tools.

I had my gearbox out and dropped it off with him, plus supplied all my own bits (extensive rebuild with new dog rings, syncros, sleeves, bearings etc...), Ralf charged $635 labour and I gave him $650 (completed the job in a couple of days). As Ralf had his own shop he only uses the Alfa branded sealants (pretty particular about this). Working out of his garage I am pretty sure he would struggle to work under a car so if you can get the box out yourself and supply the parts yourself the cost will be better for you especially if your just going for a couple of quality syncros.

Tags
105, auckland, gearbox, rebuild, syncros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode