New Zealand Alfa Romeo Sales figures - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Question New Zealand Alfa Romeo Sales figures

Does anyone know the sales figures for Alfas sold in New Zealand? I don't know if the AROCNZ has that information. It may be available through vehicle registrations LTSA?
Just curious to know. Apart from later 156s and 147s etc you seldom see any older Alfas on the road. They can't all be hiding in barns somewhere!

Cheers
Mike

Alfa Romeo GTV6 1986
Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 1986
Alfa Romeo 145 1.7QV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM

This data is available on a MIA website

MIA - monthly sales data

Just 163 new Alfas sold in 2011, about one quarter of one percent of new car sales in NZ. Slightly more than Porsche but just behind Chery...

You'd think that the dealers would be a little more proactive with dyed-in-the-wool Alfa fans but that doesn't seem to be the case - at least not here in Canterbury.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 AM

Talking

Hi,

Yep, hopeless. Aparrantly there is/was a big meeting re Alfa/Fiat & Chrysler and the apathy toward Fiat product. There are I believe plenty of people wanting Fiats too but the NZ importers won't get them. The 500 is great but there are more models other than that.
Try and get a manual Alfa!! Not easy!!

I dunno.....

Oliver
CHCH

Well, I have got an Alfa at the moment!! Is is a 1989 33 1.7 16V. It is champagne.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM

The reality is brand perception is not high for either Fiat or Alfa in NZ. Fiat 500`s are acceptable because Fiats are perceived as "trendy" small cars and of course the 500 is fashionably retro. Alfa are seen still as fringe cars and the current range probably lacks the pose value of say a BMW. VW and Audi are putting lots of resource into dealers and marketing and taking market share plus they have the better brand perception, with the added asset of being recognised as a German brand - itself worth a lot.
Hardly any buyers want a manual new car - lets face it we are along with the USA one of the fattest nations on earth and most non enthusiast new car buyers want auto - its too much effort, and requires too much thinking to change gear. Excuse is traffic density.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 AM
Rik

Garage
Fiat/Chrysler/Alfa saga rant

Brand perception is only a part of the problem. And the current Alfa range lacking the pose value of BMW? What the Alfa range actually lacks is a range!! They sell 2 models!! The biggest problem with Alfa/Fiat is the companies lack of foresight.

They've continued building traditional small and medium sized cars. Cracking cars they may be, but if they want to compete with the Germans then they should have been building various sizes of flashy SUV's and hairdresser soft tops!! There market strategists must have been asleep for the last 15 years!! That ship has now sailed so it seems Alfa/Fiat are content to sink to being a niche brand selling quirky cars.

Sergio Marchionne conceded a couple of weeks ago that Fiat can no longer compete in the Golf sector, instead they'll focus on trendy stuff like the 500 and Panda (not available in NZ) because they sell. Effectively Fiat will become a "niche market" manufacturer.

There is also the fact worthy of consideration that Fiat/Chrysler are in a spot of bother to say the least. For this and next year, Fiat-Chrysler expects an operative loss of US$900 million and doesn't expect a profit before 2015 or 2016.

On the subject of transmission, we all have our preferences, but there is a whole generation of people coming through who will only drive autos. Even the upcoming 4C will only be available with TCT. Old school manuals are dying out and the NZ consumer is just following the trend. As Alfa owners, we are familiar with going against the trend though.

1975 Alfetta GT (White)
2003 147 GTA (Black)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:02 AM

Hi,

Well, the manual is alive and well in Europe and the UK. 75% or more of cars are still sold as manuals of one form or another. You can even walk inot a Benz dealer and buy a C or E calss in manual. The 'fancier' cars will shift to 'modern' transmissions but the 'usual' cars won't for some time as standard transmissions are way wasier to fix and more robust. It seems the later the autos the more unreliable they are with a bit of exception for Benz.

I think the Fiats in the Bravo size will be with us for a few years yet as will the Lancias. Pity we can't buy them....or can we?? Grey market anyone?

Oliver

Well, I have got an Alfa at the moment!! Is is a 1989 33 1.7 16V. It is champagne.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:21 AM

I believe Alfa Romeo has suffered primarily from lack of investment capital for years, and the Fiat group has in the past been hamstrung by too nationalistic a perspective and political interference. The fact that Alfa was owned by the state set the company back years as it had to plead for money and obviously lacked sufficient capital just when they could have launched from a successful platform but I believe they also lacked decent sales and marketing strategists. Fiat still lack sufficient volume to be a truly major player but are not totally stupid and are at the moment sticking to what they can compete successfully with, and which turn a profit for them. They are reliant on the Fiat Group to cover the various market positions but see Alfa as their premium brand as VW do with Audi so will develop Alfa. The sad reality is modern owners appear to want auto or variations of auto and car manufacturers MUST produce what the consumers want to survive these days. No modern day manufacturer can now afford to carry a lame duck in their range - it would bring the manufacturer down.They are all extremely risk adverse.
truly individualistic cars are now a thing of the past and old style "mechanical" cars are well past what would be acceptable now. The romance of motoring has gone but the feel and what our cars represent will be the very thing that will probably ensure their value increases

Richard J
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Rik

Garage
Quote:
I think the Fiats in the Bravo size will be with us for a few years yet as will the Lancias.
Below taken from The Wall Street Journal...

MILAN—Fiat SpA boss Sergio Marchionne on Tuesday outlined an ambitious plan to overhaul the Fiat brand by basing all new models on the auto maker's premium-priced 500 supermini and fuel-efficient Panda city car, in an export-driven attempt to rescue its European business.

Rather than closing factories in Italy to cut costs amid a slump in European demand for new cars, Mr. Marchionne is gambling that he can put his company's burgeoning spare capacity to use by exporting its pricier models to growing markets in the Americas and Asia. These cars would include a range of cars based on the retro-styled Fiat 500 and the company's Alfa Romeo and Maserati brands.

The plan involves jettisoning Fiat's Punto and Bravo models and paring back its Lancia brand. It will rely on selling some models made by the company's U.S.-based Chrysler Group LLC unit under the Lancia brand in Italy and Europe.

Full article here: Marchionne Maps Out Fiat Revamp - WSJ.com

1975 Alfetta GT (White)
2003 147 GTA (Black)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 PM

Exclamation

Oh dear,

Sad news I guess. But necessary. What will become of our fav brands?

I had an idea that the Lancia Thema(?) is a rebadged 300c from Chrysler?

Hey, if it works!!

Oliver

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post

On the subject of transmission, we all have our preferences, but there is a whole generation of people coming through who will only drive autos. Even the upcoming 4C will only be available with TCT. Old school manuals are dying out and the NZ consumer is just following the trend. As Alfa owners, we are familiar with going against the trend though.
... simply because there are generations of people who have no idea how to drive!

Alfa75 3.0 (A work in progress!!)

Last edited by genius; 11-16-2012 at 12:15 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Unfortunately the romance of road transport has gone and most people nowadays see a car merely as another appliance just like their tv or microwave. They want minimum input and their ideal would be simply to be beamed to where they want to go. To them if it hasn`t got auto, cupholders, bluetooth capability and an arse scratcher then it really isn`t worthy of consideration-third word in fact. Sad isn`t it but that`s what urban living, motorways, and our tendency towards laziness has done to those in "developed nations".
I`m trying to develop a self feeder at the moment - reckon I`ll be a millionaire.

Richard J
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Rik

Garage
I used to car pool to work with a chap who moaned the 75 didn't have cup-holders. I pointed out the cup-holders installed on the end of his wrists, with built in hand warmers!!

The good lady used to have a little Japanese shopping car with all the usual stuff. Auto etc... it made a lot of sense in the Auckland traffic, it was just an appliance. After a hard day at work sometimes it was quite nice to just jump in and forget about having to drive and go home. She's replaced it with a late Series 1 MX5 manual. I've pinched it a few times to take to work, and honestly, in the stop start daily grind of Auckland traffic, it's perfect. The light weight and and torque make it so easy to point and squirt into gaps. Having accepted that autos maybe had there place in city cars, now I'm not so sure if they're necessary.

Quite looking forward to seeing what the joint venture between Mazda and Alfa for the next Spider turns out like. If it goes like the MX5, and looks and sounds like an Alfa it'll be a guaranteed sales success.

1975 Alfetta GT (White)
2003 147 GTA (Black)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 PM

Arrow

Hi Rik,

"Having accepted that autos maybe had there place in city cars, now I'm not so sure if they're necessary."

Bang on!

And, i'm sure 95% of Europe would agree!!

Oliver

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 AM

When I regularly visited Auckland up until halfway through this year on business I always asked for a manual Corolla, and always got caught in end of day stop start traffic. Did it make me feel disadvantaged in the motorway snarl ups- not one bit. It is attitude to driving and to the car in general which makes people chose auto over manual and most people are now simply too lazy to be bothered.

Richard J
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 AM

Exclamation

Hi all,

I have a view not embraced by many...

Our crash stats among the 'yoof' would be reduced if they drove manuals as I'm certain that they have accidents due to driving on 'auto pilot' and fiddling with stuff in the car rather than the car itself.

Getting driving lessons even from professional instructors in autos is detrimental to these 'skills' that drivers need. If you can drive a manual you can drive an auto. Simple

My 13c worth

Oliver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode