New Zealand Alfa Romeo Sales figures - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Quite agree Oliver. There are a number of things that I believe, in addition to a poor skill set, that contribute. They are in my belief the insulation of a modern car which in most cases are totally devoid of strong feedback, the relative silence, and the number of gadgets available to distract average drivers (including music & radio). In addition with very good levels of grip by virtue of better (for roadholding )suspension design and modern tyres ,speeds through corners are much higher which means that when grip is lost it is without that forewarning chassis communication -so is at greater speed and more sudden.
Brakes and ABS also are much better in the average car and greater and greater reliance is put upon them by Joe Average until again many come unstuck.
I get to drive the odd average car that 20 years and beyond were mainstream - things like old Holdens , Falcons, *** stuff, old Vauxhalls etc and it really is quite dangerous in retrospect but they braked so poorly, were so slow and handled so poor that if there was an accident it was relatively low speed stuff. Modern cars are fantastic in so many ways but they are also so dangerous for the average driver. Scarey isn`t it.
By the way one of the best things you can do for increasing your own skills and safety (I`ve done it, plus sent my two sons) is attend the Canterbury Racing School course at Ruapuna Powerbuilt Raceway. Well worth it.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode