Earthquake - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haden View Post
Problem is each council or "TA" has adopted what we call passive policies which do not require strengthening of old buildings except when their owners (and developer owners) seek new building consents for alterations...so most owners learn to route about the rules when altering.

There should be tougher standards and tougher enforcement of the above, really the whole "Construction Bill" needs a resort.

All that said aparently the ground motion from this 6.3 quake was over what we expect for a 1000 year return period... we design for a 475-year return period...which means i guess we are kinda lucky to be here at all!

Cheers Haden
Great to hear you are fine Haden and Richard, wondered how things went.

Sorry to hear you were in the CBD when it hit Haden, must have been a nightmare. Hope no-one close to you was injured or worse.

Thoughts with you, Aaron

2000 Alfa Romeo 156 TS manual 1993 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 manual
80salfa.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Glad to hear you are ok Haden. For those who don`t know Haden`s (architect) office is right in the middle of town within a 2 storey historic building on the top floor. It must of been extremely "hairy" Haden. I presume you biked in that day as norm thus avoiding the absolute gridlock after the event. Would you have lost plans and drawings?
How`s my old GTV6 by the way?

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Christchurch Lads, Kia Kaha -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:05 PM

Hi ya Richard-thankfully all data mirrored to a remote server, have set up another office over the weekend city end of Blenheim road and back into gear which is great!-our building ok but around not so and yeap pretty hairy down on the ground in High Street Mall, I guess with that hotel leaning and the state of buildings around we wont be back for a few months..and yeap thru. all that i still managed to bike home after lending a hand!
GTV6 going strong-really enjoy it-Peter Geary recently had the rear brakes rebuilt for me - new rotors/pistons and handbrake cable so its had a birthday of sorts...best purchase ive made in yonks...even Rachel likes it! hope that factory is up and running again...Cheers Haden

1963 2600 Spider
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Great to hear you are safe and up and running workwise. We were lucky too and apart from no water for a couple of days factory up and running. Very lucky we do no rely on just ChCh market too (like yourself). I told you that GTV6 was a good one despite its obvious weaknesses-happy to see you are enjoying it. What about the other cars-ok?

Richard J
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Banned

Hey, You Guys from NZ,

Can you pm me regarding the situation in Christchurch? I'm researching info to relocate there and I believe I can assist in the present circumstances as I'm a Construction Manager/Engineer with lots of experience. This is for permanent relo and I could use some information for a trip there very soon to establish the permanent relocation.

I've already done some research regarding auto & pet import/shipping, work visa, perused the "Trade Me.com" publication, etc. I could use some assistance on temporary lodging and vehicle rental sourcing for this trip in the Christchurch area or there abouts. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm presently located in NE Florida, US.

pm - [email protected]

Fotos of what will eventually follow me. Fully restored/rebuilt so I cannot leave her behind!!!
Attached Images

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Situation in Christchurch is that Eastern and hill areas damaged some uninhabitable BUT in the Western parts of the city you would not know there had been a series of major earthquakes apart from the roads in some places not being as flat as they once were-best car for travelling around many parts now is our Citroen DS21. Radically lowered boy racer type cars are now conspicuous by their absence as they would be undrivable on a lot of roads.
Accomodation is tight but available still in western areas and things are slowly getting back to some kind of normality as more and more damaged buildings are demolished and the area around them opened up again but lots of businesses from the CBD and damaged eastern areas in temporary accomodation.
There would be fantastic opportunity for a man of your qualifications and the city is quite normal on the western side.
Accomodation is best organised just before you come here as things are changing all the time as teams of insurance asessors, demolition teams, and repair/construction teams come into the city and rent out say a whole (or several nearby) motels or hotels etc. We have lost several big high rise hotels which has a flow on effect with other accomodation as we have a large tourist industry to cater for as well.
Rental vehicles similar to the accomodation situation.

Richard J
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Banned

Thanks for this info. It's extremely useful. The local NZ Alfa & BMW guys have been a tremendous help with regards to the specific gov't sites for my permanent relo. My tentative plan is to take an investigative trip in a couple of months and stay for maybe a few weeks. "Recon" I call it because of relocation for a large commercial construction projects in the past throughout the southern half of the US I'm accustomed to transferring. I used to work for the largest Firm in the US - they just completed the tallest bldg in the world in Dubai. I also did special studies in geotechnics/soil engineering and foundation engineering.

This interim trip is to familiarize the region for logistical purposes and initiate employment opportunities for a very soon final return after I finish wrapping things up here. The biggest items to do are sell a couple of more cars and ship the other 2 and I'm solo so there's no worries there. I'm definitely not bringing many possesions and certainly no electronics. The longest lead item is my Chocolate Lab, "Khamsin" (yeah named after the Maserati) which takes 6 months before parting the US after her Rabies Titer Test which was just done. Then 30 days house arrest, aka quarantine, in NZ. I may make temp arrangements for Khamsin if things work out early there and arrange for the vehicle shipping.

Plans aren't solidified as yet. Your comments will aide me in narrowing my search requirements upon arrival.

Any other pertinent information for my venture is greatly appreciated in advance. Here's fotos of my '84 BMW M635CSi that may tag along as well. I just sold the '88 E28 M5 on this link. And yes, that's my past '85 M635CSi in the background of one of the fotos. Biturbo Spyder's going on the chopping block next.

1988 BMW E28 M5 pictures by brookstroutr - Photobucket
Attached Images

Last edited by brookstroutr; 07-29-2011 at 08:08 PM.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Look forward to seeing you over here. It may well be that some of the companies involved are from your part of the world so you may be able initiate employment where you are now. Fletcher Construction (a NZ multi national) are the overall project managers but as you are aware subcontractors for all skills and services are being used and many are overseas based although local firms are used if they can and this means with the sheer volume of work there is a skills shortage.
Those BMW coupes are a model I`ve always liked but never owned, although have worked on them, including M6`s like yours. Be nice to see another one and a GTV6.

Richard J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode