Alfas for sale in NZ - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Garage
Alfas for sale in NZ

We are thinking about getting my wife an old Alfa, so I'm looking around at what's available. I've been to have a look at various cars for sale over the last few weeks, the most recent is the Sprint listed on the AROC website.

I know these cars very well having ran a couple as daily drivers for nearly 4 years, so I was curious to have a look at what sounds like a very nice car.

It is a genuine 1 owner car with a lot of service history, it's only done 5000 kms in the last 15 years or so, so really is quite unusual. There is no evidence of rust and the interior is in quite good nick, but showing its age.

The car is one of the last made I think, a 1988 1.7 and the price is listed at $6500, which sounds a lot to me. I was thinking more around the $4000 mark but others may have another opinion.

It seems that prices are a bit down at the moment, what with recession and so on. There have been a couple of cheap GTV6's listed recently, both of which I looked at. One was very nice, black, interior like new and generally very tidy. Went for $6200 in the end which is at least $2k less than it would have sold for a couple of years ago.

I suppose the question is what is the value of any car over 20 years old. If a very tidy GTV6 goes on an auction site for $6200, how can a 1 owner Sprint be worth $6500? I guess it comes down to whether or not the vendor has to sell the car quickly or not.

All opinions welcome.

1975 Alfetta GT (White)
2003 147 GTA (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 08:21 PM

I may be in the market for a Sprint and may be interested in that car, I haven't seen it but it sounds good however it really depands on condition, the price does seem very premium but maybe reasonable if the car truly needs no work, however the danger with a old low mileage car is that all service items will need replacing for the first time which can add up. Also I would expect the interior to not need any work. Then again there haven't been any good Sprints for sale for awhile. An Alfa that does seem a reasonable deal is the 75 3 litre which has been for sale for some time in Chch.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Garage
Hi Hans,

Re:Sprint. Exactly what I was thinking, the fact it's been sitting for many years has probably preserved the body but to the detriment of the rest of the car.

The interior is ok, the only thing I noticed that looked bad was the tacho and speedo needles looked like they had melted(!!) from being left in direct sun for an extended period of time. The hand brake and temperature warning lights came on a bit randomly when it was cold but this sorted itself out once warmed up. It would benefit from a real good cut and polish and a good clean out. Oh, the drivers seat was also a bit worn, but a lot better than some I've seen.

It was a bit wet so I didn't take it for a long drive, it did bring back some good memories though. These are great cars, very light and direct. If anything the 1.7 felt a bit much as I kept accidently lighting up the front wheels!! As I said though, it was wet. The old 75 felt big and heavy afterwards.

The price is close to what I would expect to pay for a concourse garage queen though. By comparison my 75 was bought for $4k around a year ago, which I feel is top money. The 3.0 down south is a stunning example but $10k will get you into some decent cars. You could pick up some very nice BMW's and M-B's for that sot of money. Ditto the Sprint, $6.5k is into Porsche 924 territory. Not my cup of tea but it's an interesting comparison.

1975 Alfetta GT (White)
2003 147 GTA (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:29 PM

Hi Rik

I saw you bidding on that GTV6 - looked nice.

To give you an idea about value of the Sprint: my brother paid 7500 for a 1983 Sud ti in immaculate condition with around 90 genuine kms on the odo. It is a very nice car but during his first and last extended drive across Auckland it did begin to overheat, so needs a cooling system spring-clean as it like the Sprint you drove had been sitting for a fair while.

re. Sprint, I would suspect 20% off his asking price equals approx 5k?? Which would be a pretty fair opening offer at the least. From memory the last "mint Sprint" on TradeMe went for around the 3.5-4k range.

BTW how have you got on with the GT?

Aaron

2000 Alfa Romeo 156 TS manual 1993 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 manual
80salfa.wordpress.com

Last edited by azzaob; 11-21-2010 at 10:35 PM.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Garage
Ah the GT... we moved house over the winter so it came in handy as a mobile shed!! It's now parked up covered in boxes and still waiting to be unloaded.

The GTV6 was a ripper of a car. Only problem I could detect was the very obvious lack of synchro on 2nd gear, a bit of stone chipping and a poor colour match on the passenger door. I only bid on it as I reckoned it was a bargain at $6k. So with a couple of minutes to go nobody had snapped it up so I had a go. Obviously someone else had the same idea. Had I been successful the 75 would have had to go. Or the GT. Or both. But probably neither would have!!

1975 Alfetta GT (White)
2003 147 GTA (Black)
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 11:10 PM

Hi Rik
Speaking of 75s, have you seen the powder-coating Phil Mac has done on the suspension and engine components on his newly renovated red 75TS??Looks amazing!!!

re. GTV6 - who needs 2nd anyway

Aaron

80salfa.wordpress.com
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 01:48 AM

Guys I`ve learned from lots of experience that a really tidy original body is worth paying a premium for. Mechanicals are easy to repair and cheap compared to body work but ultimately any car is worth only what buyers are prepared to pay.
Rik your comments regarding comparisons frankly irritate me when you say for $10k you can buy BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches inferring Alfas aren`t as good. Take it from someone who has owned most makes of car (I have 12 at moment including later Mercedes and BMW drive cars) that Alfa Romeo is generally the equal if not superior, certainly the older cars. Don`t believe in the German myth-all have their probems,and design faults plus have you ever driven or worked on them?
Older Alfas are in reality a bargain.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Garage
My comments were never intended to irritate, just prompt a discussion, although I think you may have misinterpreted my comment, so I'll explain it a little clearer.

I believe my opinion is based on fact, the Germans were all contemporary rivals to Alfas. I'm not inferring they are of a superior quality at all. Merely that they should be considered by any prospective buyer of any Alfa of what else is available in the price range. This is what Joe Bloggs the non-Alfa owner does. Indeed I get it quite regularly, "Why did you buy THAT when you could have bought an ...XYZ... whatever...?" The Alfa image for some will forever mean unreliability and rust, whether that's true or not is irrelevant.

My 75 was $4k and I believe that was good money to pay for a very good car. The V6 listed at $10k is huge money by comparison. It may be in as new condition and it would certainly need to be; but only a diehard purist would be willing to pay the asking price.

Case study: A colleague runs a mid '90's BMW 540, bought for around $6.5k over 2 years ago. It's got over 200kms on the clock now but is in fabulous condition. As passionate as I am about Alfas, I have to admit that's a **** fine car for the money. Granted, if/when something goes bang it'll require a mortgage to fix, but there's no denying the bang for buck value. You're right, older Alfas are a bargain; jack the price up and they're not. A 22 year old V6 Alfa or a 15 year old V8 BMW? I know which one I want, but I wouldn't be prepared to pay the premium for it.

There are people equally passionate about German cars as we are about Alfas. I considered a Mercedes a while back as a daily driver and looked at quite a few. I recall you advised to steer clear of anything mid-90's. Good advice. They felt quite cold and soulless, but very solid. Buying a German car would now feel like selling my soul to the devil though.

I just believe I'm open minded enough to look past Alfas. Comparisons can be drawn between several old Alfas and their German rivals, all of which are worth considering once the prices start to become comparable.

Sorry for the long winded response but being Scottish I do take spending money quite seriously

1975 Alfetta GT (White)
2003 147 GTA (Black)
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 03:25 PM

Richard, in Rik's defence I don't think he ever said Alfas were inferior to German cars, he was simply making a valid pricing comparison. Although, to most people they might appear to be a lesser car for a variety of invalid reasons. I agree re. problems with older German vehicles, from personal experience two mid 80s Audis I had recently both proved horridly unreliable with far less kms than the majority of Alfas I have/have owned - including one catching fire

Whenever I read posts having a go at someone/their opinion it equally frankly irritates me as the whole idea of a discussion board like this is to discuss freely our opinions on Alfas. We all have different views on things and we aren't going to always agree Richard, but I would defend Rik's right to express his opinion.

80salfa.wordpress.com
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 04:08 PM

Anyway Rik, getting back to your thread starter: are you going to proceed with the Sprint???

80salfa.wordpress.com
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Garage
Aaron

I saw Phil's 75 when it was still in bits. Very tidy, I must give him a call and arrange to go around for a look. It would be quite good to go for a ride in it, see how it feels compared to mine.

Re:Sprint. I think I'll sit on it for a week or 2. The vendor did say he a had a few calls from around the country about it. If he gets what he's asking for it then good on him.

The reason for starting this thread was to get a bit of discussion going about where current values are, what's selling and for how much. Not necessarily Alfa specific either, as NZ is too small a market to stick with one make. Comparisons and variety make life interesting, as do differences of opinion.

P.S. Listed today on Trade Me - A '96 164 - asking $15k!!!

1975 Alfetta GT (White)
2003 147 GTA (Black)
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:38 PM

Garage
Hi Guys,
Would be keen to catch up again Rick as I am thinking of selling the afore mentioned 75, be interesting to decide what it is worth as I am needing the liras for the next project.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:20 AM

And what next project is that Phil??????

Be nice to all catch up, maybe with Mike [Genius], I'll be the odd one out in my 164, the only non-75, but nevermind, I'm used to being the odd one out.

Rik: yes saw that 15k 164. In regards to its value, my friend Alex's genuine 24v QV, which was red with creme leather with around 100kms on the odo sold for about 9k earlier this year - it ended up bveing profiled in NZ Classic Car this year by it's new owner, Roger, the NZ Lotus guy down Phil's way. So that gives you a direct comparison to value the green one against. I can see why he wants the 15k for it as I have priced up many of the modifications he has made and when you include shipping from Alfissimo in the US, he would have easily spent his asking price.

I'm in Meadowbank, Rik is out west and Phil is south, so where to meet. I kind of fancy a weekend blast down to Pukekohe to meet at Phil's . Or we could meet at mine and all consider the sad state of my white GTV which might be about to see better days?

Let me know?

Aaron

80salfa.wordpress.com
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzaob View Post
Be nice to all catch up, maybe with Mike [Genius], I'll be the odd one out in my 164, the only non-75, but nevermind, I'm used to being the odd one out.

I'm in Meadowbank, Rik is out west and Phil is south, so where to meet. I kind of fancy a weekend blast down to Pukekohe to meet at Phil's . Or we could meet at mine and all consider the sad state of my white GTV which might be about to see better days?

Let me know?

Aaron
I'm in... over a good coffee?? Just need to get the 75 back in one piece again and I'm good (althought I've just got back from a trip to Melbourne which somehow turned into a parts buying trip, so it could be a bit longer...!)

Alfa75 3.0 (A work in progress!!)

Last edited by genius; 11-23-2010 at 01:45 AM.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 01:15 AM

Sounds good Mike, I'll let you know by PM when I've spoken to Phil etc...

Aaron

80salfa.wordpress.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode