Alfas for sale in NZ - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 01:18 AM

Speaking of prices, have you seen the 164 (to QV spec) on TM for $15,000! Much as I love 164s (especially the 12V ones for some reason) this seems a bit OTT.

Simon

101 Spider, 105 Berlina (x2), 156 2.5 V6, Fiat 125, Mini 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Fo SI View Post
Speaking of prices, have you seen the 164 (to QV spec) on TM for $15,000! Much as I love 164s (especially the 12V ones for some reason) this seems a bit OTT.

Simon
Hi Simon
Yes, that is the one I was referring to in my earlier post. Good luck to the owner if he can get that much, I guess asking prices do not equal sale prices. I agree re. 12v ones, if you can get a good one that is.

Regards, Aaron

2000 Alfa Romeo 156 TS manual 1993 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 manual
80salfa.wordpress.com
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Garage
The Sprint is sold. Off to Rangiora, buyer paid full price, sight unseen!

Count me in on any get together by the way...

1975 Alfetta GT (White)
2003 147 GTA (Black)

Last edited by Rik; 11-23-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 03:33 AM

Could plonk the 3.0 75 on the market if a good home was to be found for it ...
not really using it myself .

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/new-...tml#post841252

alfa romeo trofeo series new zealand, video site .
http://alfa-racing.blip.tv/
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:29 PM

Like I said chaps there is a premium for an original unspoilt car. It doesn`t surprise me that the Sprint headed South. Unspoilt originals are really hard to get. We appreciate them down here.Have you noticed how many of the nice classics on TradeMe head South?
I did my sums and generally end up spending about $35k a car to restore despite doing all the body work myself as well as everything else, except the actual painting. This is stretched over a period of time of course though so one doesnt part with all that cash at once (wife would have a fit) I`m doing a Fiat 500 at the moment where we have already spent $7k and still have about $3k to go so refurbishment/restoration is not cheap but they are NEVER the same as an original car with that special patina.
Appreciate the originals because they offer something special and in the long run are cheap. Question you have to ask is do I REALLY WANT THIS MODEL because if you don`t it will be dear compared to alternatives. Just remember though those tempting modern alternatives won`t (with very few exceptions) be worth much when you get sick of them or have to repair and can`t repair youself or can`t afford the repair costs.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Hi Richard, yes I would agree that quite a few premium Alfas are heading southwards over the last year or two. Do you know of the new owner?

I operate, of course at a different end of the market, and until the kids are driving their own Alfas, I really need four doors and daily drivability, hence the sub $5k cost and33/155/164-focus over the next five years...

Case in point re. significant restoration costs is that red 105GTV here http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/new-...-1750-gtv.html and the relevant TradeMe advert. An itemised costing of parts/spend to date should really be made into a sticky on here so anyone contemplating restoration could see likely costs.

Be interesting to know how Standogg's restoration of that ex-Alan Bowden 105 coupe is progressing?

Aaron

80salfa.wordpress.com
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 06:26 PM

Aaron, there are some real bargins in the sub $5k category BUT please learn from someone who has owned a workshop-don`t be mesmerised by gadgets-simplicity is a virtue unless you have the knowhow and the tools to repair. Remember also most cars from the `90s on require a hoist to do many jobs on them as access to most items is near impossible without-even oil changes. Modern cars even the"ordinary brands" are really good nowadays and major mechanical items will last a very, very long time, plus bodies won`t rust but the support and gadget systems will let the car down so anything over a decade old I`d budget for very costly repairs. It`s like Toyota have found in the States with their reliability issues you can make a car too smart and complex.

Richard J
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:30 PM

Yes I agree, that is why I bought a 164 rather than a 156/166 which was the alternative. The 33/164 or 155 are hardly gadgety, unless you consider ABS/electric windows gadgets. The thought of servicing a higher km 156/166 [5-8k price range] frankly scares me which is why we went for the older models. Luckily the 33 and 164 are relatively simple to work on, spare parts are readily/cheaply available and I absolutely LOVE that 12v 3l v6 smoothness. Rust isn't an issue with these cars. Still miss the 90 though but again the thought of running and maintaining it as a daily driver just wasn't going to work

BTW did you sell your GTV6?

80salfa.wordpress.com
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:36 PM

Quite agree Aaron you`ve made the right choice. It`s funny how working on other cars of the same era makes you realise how easy those model Alfas are to work on in comparison. I`ve been working on a Peugeot 405 turbo diesel-replaced head gasket, put new cambelt etc on it and when doing the cambelt I couldn`t help thinking of the 164 cambelt job and how much easier and accessible it was, same for all the fasteners at the back of the engine-the Pug wasn`t the easiest. -I buy and sell Euros to help pay for my restos.
Regarding your 90 I thought mine was a lovely car but what scared me was the unique body and trim pieces and how difficult it would be to get replacements as Alfa is not like BMW & MB who support all their past models with continued parts supply/production.

Richard J
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Garage
I'm trying to talk a mate of mine out of a 156. He loves the look and feel of them and how they drive. He currently has a late '90's Accord but has had a gutsful of it. ABS light coming on meant a failed WOF, over $2k to replace it. I've told him the reason I have an old Alfa rather than a newer model is the potential running costs. No ABS, airbags, traction control etc, all that stuff can ruin you if you're unlucky.

The only light I ever get coming on is the damned windscreen washer level warning on that fancy Alfa Romeo Control module. A MASSIVE red light starts flashing, put the sh*ts up me the first time. Causes much hilarity among my mates though, especially the guy with the Accord, "Oh that light looks expensive...!" Is it just me or does it look like a spare part from a Buck Rogers set?

1975 Alfetta GT (White)
2003 147 GTA (Black)
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 PM

Rik I think the only time you would own any brand modern is when they are brand new to maybe 5-6yrs old, after that it is a bit of a lottery so unless you have BIG cashflow and don`t mind spending big on a depreciating item stay well clear.
In regard to the flashing lights on the Alfa Control unit I`m sure I`ve seen on this forum how to cure-its not hard or expensive and even electrical morons like myself could do it. I understand the system then works perfectly.

Richard J
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Rik

Garage
The Buck Rogers unit works fine Richard, just when the window washers get a bit low, off she goes! If you press the little button it cancels the big light and the smaller one flashes away until you attend to whichever system needs attention. Its just that this always seems to happen first thing in the morning on my way to work. In winter when its dark at 6am, that is one big ol' red flashy thing. The first time it happened I was a bit sleepy and I swear to god I nearly stopped the car thinking some catastrophic failure was about to occur!! Two litres of water in the bottle, and all is well in the world.

Re:Newer cars. I think there is a big problem looming here in NZ. We traditionally buy older, used cars and keep them longer. In the past this was out of necessity, however as cars get more advanced, this is becoming expensive. A $2k ABS pump on a $4k car is probably quite common.

A story from a Castrol rep: VW have some of the cleanest running petrol and diesel engines. They achieve this by, among other things, specifying the exact grade of oil you must put in their models (available only from VW of course), failure to do so over an extended period will eventually cause a filter in the exhaust to clog up. The car will then fail emissions tests and a new exhaust will be required. In Europe a car is ready for the scrap yard at 5 to 6 years so generally most servicing is done by the dealerships.

I'm not really sure how this will all pan out for us here in NZ. What I do know is I'll try to keep my old 75 running for some years yet.

BTW, I've got a couple of spare Buck Rogers units in my "items I'll never need but don't want to throw away" collection if anyone needs/wants one.

1975 Alfetta GT (White)
2003 147 GTA (Black)
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I've got a couple of spare Buck Rogers units in my "items I'll never need but don't want to throw away" collection if anyone needs/wants one.
...and here was me thinking I was the only one collecting these things ...

It may also pay to check that water hasn't found its way between the contacts of the float/housing in both the washer and water bottles... It took me months to track down this infuriating cause of the periodic re-run of that scene from Close Encounters!

Alfa75 3.0 (A work in progress!!)
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 12:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by genius View Post
...and here was me thinking I was the only one collecting these things ...

It may also pay to check that water hasn't found its way between the contacts of the float/housing in both the washer and water bottles... It took me months to track down this infuriating cause of the periodic re-run of that scene from Close Encounters!
The floater can also turn into a sinker! Some places this is good but not here
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzaob View Post
Case in point re. significant restoration costs is that red 105GTV here http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/new-...-1750-gtv.html and the relevant TradeMe advert. An itemised costing of parts/spend to date should really be made into a sticky on here so anyone contemplating restoration could see likely costs.
Hi

This is mine. Still trying to sell it after a few offers have fallen through. What are people prepared to pay for this?

1969 Alfa 1750 GTV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode