Alfa Romeo Forums banner

GTV6 on TradeMe

4K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  alfavirusnz 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I suspect it will be withdrawn and sold with an offer outside of TradeMe given the fact witihin hours of listing it he had 2-3 people wanting to see it the next day, but I guess you never know. A cheap GTV6 even if there were some "issues" with it.

#4 ·
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 - iTunes by Alfa - 214 -- Classic cars | vintage cars, car enthusiasts and historic racing

Article in NZ Classic Car featuring this car. I think the eventual price came down to around $16k - $17k.

Going from the photos there doesn't appear to be any major problems with it. $3900 is cheap for a very below average GTV6. Even if this car was halfway buggered it would still be good value at that price.

Stick your bid in there and he won't be able to pull it. I'm tempted. I seriously doubt I would be the sole bidder once it got going.

#5 ·
What`s supposedly wrong with the car apart from those awful stripes? Does anyone know if it did sell last year?
I personally, as a GTV6 owner ,would really be gutted if the car sells as low as $3900, especially when you see people asking much higher prices for POS cars that even when brand new were POS. There`s no accounting for taste that would put a higher value on something that was not in the GTV6`s performance league, its style or its level of engineering or have its pedigree. These cars are so undervalued.

#6 ·
Who knows if there is anything wrong with the car Richard. It certainly appears to be a bargain at 4K even with the odd thing or two/minor issues to do to it given comparable GTV6s appear to have sold in the 10k -12k range through Trademe/Aroc over the last year or so.....wish I had a spare 4k/time/drivespace etc...

#7 ·
Agree with both of you guys. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I believe it's a marketing strategy/gamble intended to create a bit of chatter and interest (a bit like this) with hopefully a bidding frenzy at the end.

There are (believe it or not) people out there who buy a car because it looks cool but don't really get the whole driving thing. Realising that what they've bought is beyond they’re understanding they flick it for whatever $$.

I find a little odd though that the seller is not advertising the fact that the car featured in NZ Classic Car.

#8 ·
"I personally, as a GTV6 owner ,would really be gutted if the car sells as low as $3900, especially when you see people asking much higher prices for POS cars that even when brand new were POS."

Richard, beat it goes for twice that - 8kish. Be interesting to see.

In regards to comparable cars getting higher prices, it was shown a few weeks back with a nice yellow GT going for 3.5k start/reserve and a similar age/condition Nissan260Z [or was it a 240z??] for about triple that price. Seems classic Jap performance cars are worth a lot more than classic Italians in the eyes of many.

#9 ·
Well at least a 240Z has some merit even if not the pedigree and interesting engineering of the Alfa but ****boxes such as old Fords, Holdens, ordinary Yank and Japanese stuff that was absolutely ordinary and of no merit when it was new let alone nowadays stagger me with the prices being asked (and achieving). No justice is there.

#12 ·
I'll be surprised/disappointed if it goes for less than $10k.

Surprised - because I think it's probably worth it.

Disappointed - like yourself it really s**ts me when I look through the classified ads or Trade Me and see crappy old Fords/Holdens/Toyotas going for good money, then an old Alfetta in good original condition struggling to get a bite.

I'm considering going for a look this weekend; if I get the time. If the bidding stays low I'll definetly be throwing my hat in.

#14 ·
$8300... Good buying or a bit of a steal? I thought it would have gone for a bit more.
Looks like the winning bidder is from ChCh, so keep your eyes peeled down there, it would be hard to miss with those stripes though.

#15 ·
Well if its a straight car the seller I wouldn't think would be thank happy with new-car style 50% depreciation in one year's ownership. But I guess you never know, hopefully the new owner got it checked over before buying.

Only trouble is that its another Alfa heading to the dark depths of the south never to return north ;)

#16 ·
If you look at most of the interesting stuff sold on Trademe it ends up in Christchurch-the Classic Car Capital of NZ, or nearby Ashburton. Some chap Shayne bought it I see, and I think he got himself a bargain. Bit disappointed really for I think a GTV6 in reasonable condition has to be worth more, especially if you compare it with the ordinary cars the great unwashed pay for, and what they pay. Still you`re not born with taste and most of them can`t pronounce the name let alone know what it is.

#18 ·
He he..knew that last sentence would get a bite Richard ;)

Probably a lot of reasons why CHCH is the CCC of NZ. Mostly demographic I suspect, although quite a few 'interesting' cars have ended up in Wellington off of TME lately.

Pretty savage depreciation for the seller though of the GTV6. Depreciation has always been the last thing I have worried about with my Alfas....but rust is as you can see from this pic, one should never put bog on bare metal!!!

Attachments

#17 ·
I didn't get the time to have a look, but I was watching the auction finish, and with a few minutes to go it seemed it wouldn't go above $5600. I was VERY close to jumping in right up until it hit the $8k mark. I don't have the room here for another car but it was very tempting.

Why are there so many classics in Chch? Is it the dry climate? I have managed to "rescue" one back from the Mainland so we'll let you have this one! :)

#19 ·
Christchurch is the classic car capital for a couple of reasons. Firstly it is essentially a dry climate with most parts of the city away from the sea and that salty air. It also has a culture of engineering and appreciation of cars-the Vintage Car Club of New Zealand was founded in Christchurch back in the early `50`s for example, plus I believe we have more disposable income down here and the type of suburban properties that accomodate a decent garage.
The flat nature of the city helped preserve some of the older cars too before they became "fashionable classics".
Best of all for those of us with old performance cars we have a fantastic collection of relatively unpopulated roads, from flat plains roads that go on for miles to mountain passes just like the European Alps, from a mulitude of vineyards to a racing circuit right on our back door. The skill base for restoration here is also greater from what I`ve seen visiting the rest of new Zealand. It never ceases to amaze me through some of the circles I mix with what is actually in the city and surrounds-from the extremely exotic and rare to the mundane.
Due to our size we`re not completely urbanised like Auckland so relatively few traffic jams, better flowing traffic (better urban planning) and easier prompter access to classic car friendly roads.There`s no pleasure in stop start traffic whatever you are driving.
Bog over bare steel seems to be a panelbeaters habit over accident repair. Have you noticed that a lot of the rust repair work required is the site of previous accident repair work done years ago. I always use POR 15 Metal Ready then an etch primer before bog (in less depth than I see in that photo above).

#22 ·
Shayne - My trigger finger was very itchy to jump in to the bidding, but once it went over $8k I figured it was heading into serious money.

You've probably read through this thread and the discussion going on as to what it would go for. Personally I thought it would go over the $10k mark. Shows what I know!

Richard - The roads down south certainly are far more car friendly. My intentions are to to do do a lap of the South Island in somthing other than a campervan or a rental car, which have been my previous experiances to date. Up here in Ak the roads are so busy that you really need to head quite a long way out of town to find a good drivers road that isn't clogged up with Sunday drivers.

I just had a look on TM at Porsche 944's, a contemporary rival to the GTV6, and the prices seem to be around the $8 - $12k mark. Interesting, after all these years they are still closely matched on price. German build quality against Italian style.

#23 ·
I hadn`t compared Rik but you are right regarding a comparable car in the marketplace. If Porsche around that price range then I don`t feel quite as bad (although having driven several 944`s, nowhere near as characterful, nor are they better built) What saddens me is how very ordinary cars are higher valued but i guess one can`t argue with the market and ordinary folks like ordinary cars. Sad isn`t it.

#24 · (Edited)
Sad indeed.

I'm actually looking for a daily driver at the moment. It's quite strange that you can pick up a mid 90's C class Merc for around the same sort of money as a Japanese shopping box of similar age. I've got one of the latter and just had a look at one of the former. The two don't compare in driving experiance, build quality, refinement etc. It's that age old niggle in the back of every Kiwi's head that says Euro cars are unreliable and when something needs to be fixed it will cost an arm and a leg.

Although having said that I think its the shopping boxes that over priced rather than the Euro cars being too cheap.

#26 · (Edited)
Our daily driver is the 155, its been a revelation really in terms of my attitude to 155s. I was quite agin them before getting the V6. It has been the school drop-off mobile/across country traveller since February and [touchwood] hasn't missed a beat yet. Only things are a sticky passenger window occasionally and the rear tailight assembly failed - $20 fix from a parts car.

Given how many Alfa-snobs don't even regard the 155 as a "true" Alfa they are ridicously good value and nothing beats the howl of an Alfa V6 everyday...much better than boring BMW/Mercs hands-down. I'd like to replace the 94V6 we have with a widebodied 16vTS 1996/7 version if things work out. Great cars.

#25 ·
With the amount of cars coming over from asia, it's really very easy to see why the prices are the way they are. The countries to the north have been importing alot of bmws, mercs, to their country for years now, and we are now receiving them at a cut price. This also drops the price of the alfa's from the 80's and onwards, as they are put into the same Euro category.

I agree, NZ's mentality on japanese car's is alot better than the euro's, tell someone you have honda or a toyota and they don't bat an eyelid, it's normal to own such cars. If you tell them you a have something Euro then your crazy, to tell you the truth they all cost an arm and a leg to fix. The merc's and bmw's are getting alot cheaper to fix also due to the amount that we have in this country Pick-Apart always has a couple.

#27 ·
Rik, just watch the `93-98 Mercs. They have an electrical wiring problem where the insulation disintegrates on the engine wiring loom, it is a very common problem, and the replacement is around a couple of thousand dollars. I had a C200 which was a brilliant car but unwittingly got rid of it just in time and I currently have a mid 90`s E class which has sat for a year as I`ve tried to get around the buying a brand new loom, but have finally bit the bullet and spent $2k. If interested in Mercs buy earlier than `93/94 or later than `98. Most parts are actually quite reasonable, in fact as someone who used to work at a Nissan dealership, I can say were more than comparable and often cheaper than Nissan parts.
As we all know only corporates and the stupid buy parts at franchises and the independents supply parts for Euros as cheap as Japanese.

#28 · (Edited)
Richard,

Yes I had heard there were some issues from the mid 90's onwards. I was quite keen on a 1994 320-24 E class which was like new. It got snapped up quite quickly though. I believe around 1995 ish Merc stopped making cars up to a certain quality level and instead built down to a price. I have also heard the auto transmission must be serviced religously as well.

Having spent a fair amount of my life in Europe and a lot of travelling around, I still look at smaller Mercs and think "Taxi" though. And after a drive I reckon they are a nice car but not very "me". My wife tells me I'm too young for a car like that!! I'm taking it as a compliment!

The little Nissan can chug on 'till after Christmas.

#29 ·
We`ve got a E36 318i BMW ,NZ new ,and manual and that is a lovely car for commuting-easy to work on, cheap to run and not too bad to drive as a daily driver. The Mercs are arguably a car that is a lot more able than you think and to drive one daily you learn to appreciate them. I travelled around NZ extensively with my C200 and it was very quick point to point , extremely economical and handled really well. surprised a lot of people at its speed through the windy bits. -lost my licence for 28 days instant suspension in the McKenzie Country speeding in it -so only an "old man`s car" by those that have never owned one. Everything apart from the wiring weakness is no better or worse than most other modern cars insofar as durability goes but they exude a certain conservative style.
Nothing beats an older Alfa though for driving pleasure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.