Kiwi Alfa Spotting - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 PM

Im pretty sure he had a blue guilia veloce? i'd never seen one in the flesh. That was in queenstown/frankton at an AA salvage yard. It was stacked pretty bad but they were ok, happened the day before i was there. The owner had just painstakingly restored the car and took it on its maiden drive and i think the panhard rod came loose and he ended up rolling it. Can't remember if it was insured or not, was something like 65 grand, scary. They reckoned the only thing that saved them was they were both short and the seats protected them from being hurt. He was going to rebuild it again. Bugger i didnt have a my camera with me that trip down.

Alfa Romeo 75 V6, 2.5. 1987, Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan, Series one, 1975
Fiat Uno 45's. 1990, Fiat Brava 1.6sx, 1996, Fiat 128 sport, 1971
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

On a sort of Alfa spotting note.......

Has anyone seen that VTNZ add with the woman and the white spider parked in true north shore style ?

Lame add but its not often that you see older alfas on kiwi tv
post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Saw that on TV in my hotel in Qtown last night. Only see her driving in and reversing out. was hoping that it would feature more instead of the Toyota on the test sequence.
As usual on my road trips (just been down in Deep South last week and week before in Taranaki, Wanganui, Palmy, Wellington, Wairarapa, kapiti etc) an Alfa desert-even 156`s etc rare.
In Northland, Auckland, Tauranga, Waikato from Tues and hoping to see some decent cars on the road-stops me drifting off to sleep.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 PM

Cycling across the McCormacks Bay causeway her in ChCh I am sure i was passed by a SZ Zagato on yellow dealer plates-anyone shed any light on that..whos is it Richard? assume a car like that can get compliance>
Cheers Haden

1963 2600 Spider
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Rik

Garage
Finally it's been spotted, according to the Alfa SZ register there is one known SZ here in NZ.

The regulations were actually amended last year so a returning resident or immigrant can bring cars with them that do not meet the regulations. As long as you have owned the car in the UK (or Europe). Also they now allow vehicles of special interest.

Factsheet 44b — Special interest vehicles

I would sell close family members to own one so whatever hoops the LTSA make you jump through has to be worth it.

Whoever owns it should be hunted down by local AROC members and forced to let them drool all over it.

I like them. Can you tell?

Last edited by Rik; 04-06-2009 at 01:32 AM.
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 AM

Ooh ooh ooh!!!

I have been investing the possibility of importing one under the new regs too. Basically instead of the 20 year rule now there is an annual ballot of 200 cars. If you show that the car of your interest meets the criteria (which an SZ does) and you achieve the ballot you have 6 months to land it in NZ. I think 6 months is too short as if you need to go shopping it may take longer than 6 months to find the right car. But anyway...

SZ's go for around 18 - 22k UKP which pushes them into Ferrari 308/348 territory once landed (don't forget GST?).

All that has stopped me is lack of garage space (soon to be sorted) and lack of spare cash (baby due, hence not to be sorted for a while I suspect).

Would be very interested in seeing it.

Richard
2015 Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 AM

SZ here wow. I`d thought of perhaps getting an SZ instead of having multiple cars but pictures is the closest I`ve got so far. I`d love to see one in the flesh (or carbon fibre to be correct). I have an idea whose it might be and as I`m back in ChCh for a couple of weeks I`ll see if I can find out.

Richard J
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Rik

Garage
According to the SZ website run by Alfa BB member Ed van de Beek its car no. 524 and owned by an A. Rowland. He's dated it September last year.

He also states the only known RHD converted SZ was here in NZ but now thought to be in Zimbabwe.

I have laid eyes on one of these many years ago in the UK and can vouch for them being unapologetically ugly in the best possible way. This is what the GTV6 should have become I reckon.

Rik
post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 12:48 AM

Well its not who I thought it was. I`d love to see one close up -I`d be the anorak type who would be crawling all over and underneath it. I`d embarrass myself I know I would.

Richard J
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:35 AM

White GTV6 in the Tauranga region?

Spotted outside of Katikati last weekend: a white GTV6 with a bonnet scoop as opposed to bonnet bulge, i.e. more like the South African 3.0L versions. The front grill was matching white too as were the bumpers. I managed to get a reasonable look at it as we were in slow traffic. Definitely a series two [early/mid 1980s] GTV/GTV6...looked great compared to all the other cars on the road.

2000 Alfa Romeo 156 TS manual 1993 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 manual
80salfa.wordpress.com

Last edited by azzaob; 04-15-2009 at 11:39 AM.
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 PM

Sounds a bit tasteless though, but good to hear another 116 on the road. I`ll keep a look out when I`m around Katikati.

Richard J
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:55 PM

Having had another look at the SA model 3l GTV6s, the bonnet scoop was different, as it was a definite slit rather than the two circular air vents they had. Given the "all-white' look it took a second to recognise it as an Alfa as the 'whiteness' tended to blur the alfa badge/grill etc, but that, a red 105 coupe, a 164 and assorted 156s/147s were all the Alfas I saw in the Tauranga area last week.

2000 Alfa Romeo 156 TS manual 1993 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 manual
80salfa.wordpress.com
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 AM

guiletta

I saw a white/tan guiletta in papamoa, mount maunganui the other week, probably, It would be an early 80's car. Looked tidy and good to see another older alfa around, I so need to get my 75 up an rocking daily.

Alfa Romeo 75 V6, 2.5. 1987, Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan, Series one, 1975
Fiat Uno 45's. 1990, Fiat Brava 1.6sx, 1996, Fiat 128 sport, 1971
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Red face Stopped by police

If you'd been on SH1 between CHC and Ashburton a couple of weeks ago, you could have seen my red '72 GTV on the side of the road with a police car parked behind it!
I was cruising back from CHC and came upon a long line of traffic going at 90 to 95 km/h. At each passing lane, no one seemed to be overtaking so I just kept picking off a few cars at a time. When I got near the front of the line, I saw the police car but, as my speedo was still registering 90 to 95 km/h, I thought "what the hell?" and at the next passing lane, I sauntered past at exactly 100 km/h. Oops! Big mistake.
The conversation with the officer went something like this:
Good afternoon officer, is there a problem ?
Good afternoon sir, I was just wondering why you overtook me.
Well, I thought you were going a little slow.
I was doing 100 km/h sir.
Oh really? So was I, according to my speedometer.
Sir, I have a calibrated speedometer and a calibrated radar in my car. I was doing 100 km/h.
Oh! Well I only have a 37 year old speedometer in my car, so I have to rely on that, sorry. I'm sure you realise I wouldn't have passed you if I thought I would be speeding.
Didn't you wonder why nobody else had overtaken me?
I thought maybe they were too intimidated to.
In future sir, don't overtake a police car, and get your speedometer checked!
Yes officer.

Anyone know where to get a speedo calibrated?

"The purchase of an Alfa Romeo is a very important happening for a man...it is the fulfillment of a desire."
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:59 PM

Parrots in Christchurch, although there may be someone in Timaru I haven`t heard of. Parrots have been around for 50 yrs or so and are instrument repairers-that is all they do.

Richard J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode