Head gasket for '72 GTV 2000 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Head gasket for '72 GTV 2000

Hi all,

Where's the best place to get a head gasket for my 1972 GTV 2000? Is there anyone in NZ who has these?

Regards

"The purchase of an Alfa Romeo is a very important happening for a man...it is the fulfillment of a desire."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 AM

Chris Sweetapple and www.highwoodalfa.com alfa romeo parts has loads of clients in NZ and Australia. He ships every day, excellent service. Mail him and he'll solve your problems. [email protected]

[B]1967 Roundtail Spider, "Duetto" Mine since 1970. Meno parole, piú Duetto!.[/B]
My [B][COLOR="Red"]Duetto sites [/COLOR][/B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the [B][COLOR="Red"] Duetto Register [/COLOR][/B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
[B][COLOR="Red"] Duettoinfo [/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Wille R.; 01-06-2009 at 12:11 AM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, are they better than Alfaholics or any other supplier in Europe? I was hoping to find one in NZ really. Also, how do I know I'll only need the head gasket? Do I strip the engine first, compile a list of parts to order then wait?
I got the original engine with the car, which was running ok when the previous but one owner took it outand put in a high(er) performance engine in. Would it be much more of a job to swap the engines than change thehead gasket?

"The purchase of an Alfa Romeo is a very important happening for a man...it is the fulfillment of a desire."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 PM

Why do you think the engine requires a head gasket?
If you have a spare engine that is known to be ok then you are best to put that in to keep you mobile in the meantime. That way you can strip the other engine at your leisure and determine what parts you require.
If it is just a head gasket you are after then you are best to contact the following;

Italian Auto Centre Ltd-23 Saleyards Road, Otahuhu Auckland ph 09 2767245.

or Peter Beck Auto Services Ltd. 86 Bourke St Palmerston North. Ph 06 357 4944.

Retail price (For 1750-but should be same price) from Italian Auto Centre , Sept last year was $90.78 when I was in Auckland and therefore no freight on top.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

I was giving the car a tune up, Italian style, when it started spewing clouds of milky-white smoke from the exhaust. The engine still starts and runs, and there are no nasty noises from anywhere. I thought that was a sign of a blown head gasket.
Is an engine swap a major job in comparison to the head gasket? I have access to an engine crane and a knowledgable friend to help.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:42 AM

If the engine idles ok and it doesn`t overheat readily check the brake fluid - make sure the diaphram in the brake booster hasn`t packed it in (brake fluid also gives clouds of white smoke)-goes into rearmost (no. 4 )cylinder.
To further check if head gasket problem, watch overflow bottle which should be bubbling away and draw back water into leaking cylinder when turned off. Take plugs out and check to see if wet after turning over when dead cold (disconnect coil lead first so doesn`t start) Don`t condem the head gasket yet without checking further.

Richard J
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 AM

Swapping over the head on a twin cam 4 can be harder than an engine swap if you are not that confident or able . there are two possible difficulties .
-you have to take care of the cam chain (not letting it slip into the sump and getting cam timing right when reassembling)

-you have to get the head off. They can be stuck so you need a special tool to force the head to seperate from the block and even if it comes up off the block (more likely to) you need to have help to lift it off squarely up along the studs it needs to be lifted over (otherwise it jams).
My suggestion is read the manual first -an Alfetta one will do regarding engine and see if you feel confident-we all started sometime.

Richard J
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Richard, I've got manuals to read and I'll do the checks you suggest.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

well, it's definitely the head gasket. No. 4 was full of water when I took out the plugs and the water level in the radiator had gone down considerably too.
The spare engine looks ok. I took out the plugs and it turns over easily. I can see the valves and they still have a nice film of oil as they move.
Now I'm going to read the manuals and decide whether to swap the engine or change the gasket.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Off with her head!

Well, I gritted my teeth and decided to take the head off. So, after a great deal of sweating, grunting, rubber-malleting and a few choice words, the head came off. The break in the gasket is clear:

Where the O-rings fit, there are plugs in the cylinder block, is this normal? I know there can be roll pins there but these don't look like roll pins to me.

Attached Images

Last edited by Vernolese; 01-14-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Pics missing
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 PM

What do you mean by plugs? Are the oil feed & return holes blocked off or just have pins partially crushed?

Richard J
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure. The six holes where the O-rings go all have plugs like the one in the pic. I have read that you can fit roll pins to keep the O-rings in place but these plugs only have a very small hole in them, everything else looks fine.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:00 AM

There are no pics, just squares with the red X on my screen

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Ken Lee
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Pics up now.

Sorry, I'm new to uploading pics. They are now up there twice, not sure why.

The holes in these plugs are approximately 1.5 mm diameter, which seems a bit small for an oil feed to the camshafts. Is there a reason why oil flow should be restricted?

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 PM

I think that someone before you has sustituted these pins for the proper roll pins. You have stripped the head so you should be able to tell if there is sufficient oil around the cams when you dismantled it. I would think 1.5mm is probably ok for the oil feed but they do have thick walls so if you can get them out and replace, or drill these out ,it is certainly not going to harm things.

Richard J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode