Head gasket for '72 GTV 2000 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Oh well, what a saga. Everything went back together pretty well. I set up the cams, doublechecked everything and all seemed ok. Apart from a problem with the starter motor (another thread-now solved), there was plenty of oil flowing up to the cams when I cranked the engine without the plugs so I bolted everything else back on and started her up, brilliant! A bit of smoke from the assembly oil and she seemed to be ok.
Then it happened; clouds of white smoke from the exhaust again!
I remembered what Richard J (Alfavirusnz) said about the brake fluid so I disconnected the hose from the back of the inlet manifold to the servo but it still smoked.
HELP! What else could I check that may be causing this problem?

"The purchase of an Alfa Romeo is a very important happening for a man...it is the fulfillment of a desire."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 AM

Did you retorque the head using Stage 1 and Stage 2 (cold) values exactly as the manual states on reassembly?

Jim
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Platinum Subscriber

So you're still getting white smoke after the head gasket replacement?
* Did you check the protrusion of the liners even with or above the block surface? If it's not even or higher, the head gasket may not seal fully.
* Did you have the head checked for cracks/leaks between the combustion chambers and the water jacket?

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM

Andrew's got a good point- mine had corrosion around a couple of the water jacket passages and needed weldment...and did you have a machine shop check the head to ensure its mating surface is true (flat) prior to reinstallation?

Jim

Last edited by La Voce; 02-11-2009 at 03:28 PM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Torqued the head down properly but no to all the rest. Bugger! as they say here in NZ.

"The purchase of an Alfa Romeo is a very important happening for a man...it is the fulfillment of a desire."
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:06 AM

Well, it was worth a try to only remove and replace, don't be too upset. It's best at this point to pull the head back off (it will come off much easier and faster now) and take it to a reputable shop. Have them clean, inspect, repair as necessary, and true it flat. I would also consider renewing the valves, guides, and stem seals at this point as well. It's not too expensive, and the head will be in the shop anyway. To save money, I bought these items myself and provided them to the local shop that refreshed my Alfetta's head.

Jim
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I thought I'd get away without doing any other work as the engine has been worked on quite recently, (within the last 5 years) and since it didnt overheat when the gasket blew, I assumed everything else would be ok.

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 PM

You didn`t turn the engine over with the head off by any chance did you? Most probably though you`ve either got the head gasket upside down or the head has to be refaced.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

I did turn the engine over but I clamped the cylinder liners down first. The gasket only went on one way because of the cam chain housing. The engine runs fine, no bubbles in the radiator or water in the oil. I disconnected the vacuum tube from the servo so it's not sucking brake fluid in. Maybe I'll put the other engine I've got in and give it a try. Then I can do a proper strip down on the troublesome one.

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM

How long did you run the engine for? It may well be that all that water condensed in the exhaust system is finding its way out. I recall one car were it took a 60km trip at reasonable revs for the car to stop leaving a vapour trail. afyter that it was fine.
Don`t condem your workmanship too quickly.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Yes, a friend at work who is very knowledgable about these things said exactly the same. He suggested unbolting the exhaust from the headers and running it to see what came out. I may do that

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:03 AM

This is good, these little hollow pins. They are stock on later Nord engines. They are a common upgrade for earlier engines. They give slightly higher oil pressure in the head, but most important they prevent seepage between the head gasket. These are normally only protected by the little rubber rings in the head gasket.
Don't know if your supplier has the little rings from Viton. These are far superior than those from Reinz or Goetze. If so , substitute these instead of using the rings supplied with the head gasket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:42 PM

The advice to drive the car a bit is good. You've already got it together and you aren't going to hurt anything. I'd also recommend adding a small can of "Alumaseal" or something like it to your water. Alumaseal consists of very finely ground aluminum flakes. Suspended in water, it will cure a number of small seepage issues in Alfa motors. AlfaUSA used to recommend it.

If the problem still persists, you should do a pressure test at the radiator.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode