Calling Christchurch Alfisti - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Garage
I've noticed the $$ going up in Europe for tidy examples which holds out hope that NZ will follow suit. I think that in mainland Europe at least, the regulations on older cars is quite strict. I have a friend in Bavaria who tells me older cars are incredibly expensive to keep. He's had a few old Opels and apparantly they have some funny tax thing to do with emissions/engine size and so on. Your GTV6 for example would be an expensive car to have just sitting in the garage waiting for a sunny day.

This makes me think that the sort of people who now have these type of cars in Europe are no longer the penniless student types who just want an old bomb to scream around in, but are like us; enthusiasts who admire and appreciate what they are.

I don't have room for a collection like yours (yet!) but one day I'd quite like an early Alfetta sedan to go with my GT. The unassuming looks combined with the exotic layout is typically Alfa. I could have my work cut out finding one though, I don't recall seeing any in NZ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
... one day I'd quite like an early Alfetta sedan to go with my GT. The unassuming looks combined with the exotic layout is typically Alfa. I could have my work cut out finding one though, I don't recall seeing any in NZ.
They are around Rik, but very rarely appear, the last few I've been offered have all been parts-cars only with terminal rust hence I got the 90. You might find it easier to get a 116 Giulietta - the same mechanically but parts-wise in terms of trim, headlights etc..a hell of a lot easier to source here in NZ. I've owned one of each of the three series they made of them and they drive very nicely just like your GT. The 1.8l was the pick IMHO as it spun up a lot more freely than the later 2l models, although they were all very nice and I agree with you about the "unassuming looks".

Aaron

2000 Alfa Romeo 156 TS manual 1993 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 manual
80salfa.wordpress.com
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Yes I`d agree the Alfetta Berlina is a nice driving car. I`ve only had one a later 2 litre with the rectangular headlamps but I thought it a nicer car than the Giulietta of which I`ve had about 8 so can say with some authority. I know of a local who has a farmlet just out of Christchurch who has I think three Alfetta Berlinas-all 1,8`s and they are definitely not rusted out. I suspect one could buy one if you were a real enthusiast who was to look after it.
Certainly from my perspective regarding the cars we have I`m certainly not a penniless student anymore-just a penniless middle aged guy who has a compulsive disorder.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Rik

Garage
We should change the title of this thread to "Chin wag about Alfettas"

Aaron - Hmmm Giuliettas. I think they look a little awkward around the rear and the styling at the front set the tone for the direction Alfa took in the '80s. It is just my opinion though. I'm not a fan, although I did see a Giulitta on TM a wee while back and did give it some consideration.

Richard - I'll keep your local contact with the Alfettas in mind. We are looking for a new place with a bit more space but I think 'her in doors' would have a fit if I suggested we need another Alfa! I'd need to be feeling particularily brave...

Penniless compulsive disorder = Alfa owner.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:26 PM

Rik just do what I do-just go ahead and face the music afterwards-and I`ve been married for 26 yrs to the same wife.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode