Ford vs Ferrari Trailer - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Ford vs Ferrari Trailer

Trailer is out for the much anticipated "Ford vs Ferrari" based on the excellent book "Go Like Hell" that spawned the excellent documentary "The 24 Hour War".

Unfortunately this trailer doesn't give me a good feeling that this movie will be any good. Looks like a typical Hollywood ruination of a good story. What say you?

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:31 AM

@GV27-

"...typical Hollywood ruination...", what was your opinion of Ron Howard's "Rush"?

Regards
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rush was great but that's an exception.

"Typical" and "always" are not synonyms.
SpiderSlam5 likes this.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:24 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
A review I read made it sound like Ford started the campaign 90 days before their historic 66' Le Mans win. That is BS, they first raced at Le Mans in 64' where all Ford GT40s failed.

Why F with the truth, nothing wrong with the real story.

If they are talking about Shelby's involvement then they need to say they had an already running and designed car to work with ... otherwise is the movie trying to belittle Ferrari?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 06-03-2019 at 02:30 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:56 PM

I like, but Mat Damon as Carol Shelby???
Not even close...

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:41 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Oh come on. It looks fun and funny.

Brian __________________________________

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
Trailer is out for the much anticipated "Ford vs Ferrari" based on the excellent book "Go Like Hell" that spawned the excellent documentary "The 24 Hour War".

Unfortunately this trailer doesn't give me a good feeling that this movie will be any good. Looks like a typical Hollywood ruination of a good story. What say you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3asRWZaGCQk
Yea, Hollywood can ruin just about any race movie (think of Stallone in "Driven"). I'm not convinced after watching the trailer for this one, that this one will be horrible. Could be wrong though.

At one point someone was going to make "The art of racing in the rain" into a movie. That was several years ago and it never happened. Good book, but not totally a racing story.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:12 PM
PSk

• Driven was utter rubbish
  • Grand Prix poor. Like so many made out that men race to get the girl. Do directors make movies to get the girl? Surely they don't and therefore they absolutely should understand the deeper drive a racing driver has
  • Le Mans was okay, but they spent too much time with the question "why do people race"
  • Rush was good. I think it got the respect and friendship between Hunt and Lauda right. I could whinge about minor details, but at least they did not go on about men racing to get a girl ... sigh. But Hemsworth with his shirt off helped many find this film worth watching ...
  • Worlds Fastest Indian, IMO still the best. Finally a director was able to transfer to the screen that this guy just wanted to see what his bike would do. There honestly is nothing more to it, and there doesn't need to be anything more. Wonderfully honest and I left the theater planning an assault on the Salt Lakes, before common sense cooled me down
  • Saddens me that rubbish like "Need for Speed", etc. are considered racing movies ... and so many were made, as I've already said, as some sort of romance with a woman being the motivation ...

This movie has to get "why Ford went to Le Mans" right. If they cannot get this across then the film should never have been made. And if they make out Carroll Shelby designed and built the GT40 from scratch in 90 days, I will throw my drink at the screen and leave in disgust
Pete
spydaman and SpiderSlam5 like this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
A review I read made it sound like Ford started the campaign 90 days before their historic 66' Le Mans win. That is BS, they first raced at Le Mans in 64' where all Ford GT40s failed.

Pete
Does the 1963 Lola Mk 6 and Eric Broadley's role get a mention?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:58 PM
PSk

Don't know

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:22 PM

Worst racing movie of all time with the Alfa Romeo Formula One Team in it, BOBBY DEERFEILD 1977
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:08 AM
Gold Subscriber

Adam Carolla's documentary on a similar subject, 24 Hour War, came out in 2016 I believe. I highly enjoyed it.
Bill
Jack Straw likes this.

Bill Maloney

1969 Giulia Super Biscione
2017 Giulia TI AWD
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:18 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101/105guy View Post
I like, but Mat Damon as Carol Shelby??? Not even close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia
Oh come on. It looks fun and funny.
I'm not sure if you two are debating or agreeing. I think you're both saying the same thing. To paraphrase what I'm hearing:

101/105: "If the director was trying to make a realistic film, casting Matt Damon as Carol Shelby was a mistake. Matt might be a great actor, but he bears no resemblance to Shelby either physically or or in his screen presence"

Osso: "Yea, but the director's goal was simply to make a fun and funny film that will appeal to millennials - not a realistic one that would appeal to the handful of people who actually know who Carol Shelby was. Oh, and to get the ladies to buy tickets."

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-05-2019 at 07:22 AM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
101/105: "If the director was trying to make a realistic film, casting Matt Damon as Carol Shelby was a mistake. Matt might be a great actor, but he bears no resemblance to Shelby either physically or or in his screen presence"
Resemblance doesn’t matter. Bill Bradlee has been played by both Jason Robards and Tom Hanks (All the President’s Men and The Post). Both films were huge artistic and commercial successes.

Robert Redford as Bob Woodward? Come on.

George C. Scott doesn’t resemble Patton, but can you imagine someone else doing a better job in that role?

For eff’s sake, the best G.W. Bush comes from Will Ferrell!

If the goal was to have someone who looks and behaves like Shelby without trying, it wouldn’t be called “acting.”

1976 Spider
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakingthrough View Post
Adam Carolla's documentary on a similar subject, 24 Hour War, came out in 2016 I believe. I highly enjoyed it.
Bill
Yeah, this movie and the 24 Hour War are both based on the same book - Go Like Hell by AJ Baime. The Carolla documentary was great and the book is REALLY great.

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Like-Hell-.../dp/0547336055

They just get so much wrong in this trailer. Perhaps it'll turn out that's all they got wrong but I doubt it. Here are a few particular points that bothered me:

1) "What you need is a pure racer behind the wheel of your car - that's Ken Miles". No - they had plenty of "pure racers" who were on the team before Shelby took over. A star-studded crew of some of the absolute fastest drivers in the world. In 1964 at Le Mans they had Phil Hill, Bruce McLaren, Chris Amon and Richie Ginther on the team. What they needed was a development driver with a keen engineering mind and that was where Ken Miles turned out to be absolutely brilliant.

2) Ford painted as the underdog and Ken Miles thinking the mere idea of Ford beating Ferrari to be absurd. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The vast resources of the largest automobile company in the world vs the tiny little Ferrari team? Please - obviously Ferrari had built a big rep for himself, but how could his team possible compete agains the might of Ford? It was expected Ford would wipe the floor with them.

3) I may have this wrong, but is the screaming man at the end of the trailer supposed to be Henry Ford II? The mere idea that The Deuce had never ridden in a race car - or that he would scream like a girl for any reason - is totally absurd.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 06-05-2019 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spellin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode