Ford vs Ferrari Trailer - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 AM

Didn't H. Ford2 try to buy Ferrari, & that's what started the "rivalry"?

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderSlam5 View Post
Didn't H. Ford2 try to buy Ferrari, & that's what started the "rivalry"?

Regards
Yeah and it was worse than that - Enzo Ferrari apparently never had any intention of selling to Ford but instead was using Ford for leverage to get more money out of Fiat. So he strung Ford along. Finally Ford thought he had a done deal and they went over to Italy to close the deal. Upon which Ferrari said the deal was off on some minor pretense and threw the Ford guys out of his office. Obviously The Deuce wasn't going to take such an insult lying down and ordered his racing division to go beat Ferrari on the track.
SpiderSlam5 likes this.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 06-05-2019 at 12:05 PM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:00 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
Yeah and it was worse than that - Enzo Ferrari apparently never had any intention of selling to Ford but instead was using Ford for leverage to get more money out of Fiat. So he strung Ford along. Finally Ford thought he had a done deal and they went over to Italy to close the deal. Upon which Ferrari said the deal was off on some minor pretense and threw the Ford guys out of his office. Obviously The Deuce wasn't going to take such an insult lying down and ordered his racing division to go beat Ferrari on the track.
I thought it was because Ford wanted control of the whole of Ferrari, i.e. the racing too. Enzo spat the dummy about that. FIAT agreed to let Enzo keep control of the racing ...

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:36 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
They just get so much wrong in this trailer. Perhaps it'll turn out that's all they got wrong but I doubt it. Here are a few particular points that bothered me:

1) "What you need is a pure racer behind the wheel of your car - that's Ken Miles". No - they had plenty of "pure racers" who were on the team before Shelby took over. A star-studded crew of some of the absolute fastest drivers in the world. In 1964 at Le Mans they had Phil Hill, Bruce McLaren, Chris Amon and Richie Ginther on the team. What they needed was a development driver with a keen engineering mind and that was where Ken Miles turned out to be absolutely brilliant.
Agree, but Bruce and Chris were great development drivers too. IMO it just took time and after a couple of failures (gearboxes) they finally got things right.

Based on the trailer I don't think I'll go and see it, as it may end up annoying me more than entertaining me. Twisting history is okay, but blatant BS is another. All it does is make me realise that all "based on a true story" movies are probably miles away from the truth ... sad.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 06-05-2019 at 02:44 PM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
I thought it was because Ford wanted control of the whole of Ferrari, i.e. the racing too. Enzo spat the dummy about that. FIAT agreed to let Enzo keep control of the racing ...

Pete
So I'm using "Go Like Hell" as my reference here. It's the kind of academic history book I like - it's an exciting and enjoyable book to read but very well researched and very well sourced - my copy has 24 PAGES of footnotes at the end.

You're somewhat right there. Enzo's flimsy excuse did involve racing but not any race Ferrari had ever participated in. He asked them about racing the Indy 500 and they said "no, we already race at Indy and would rather not cannibalize the brand". They agreed to let him continue European racing (i.e. F1 and Le Mans). But he used that as an excuse to throw them out of the office.

Quote:
Agree, but Bruce and Chris were great development drivers too. IMO it just took time and after a couple of failures (gearboxes) they finally got things right.
You could be right - yes they had guys that were good development drivers. But the book credits Ken Miles with doing the "heavy lifting" of development. Yes, McLaren and Amon were established European (well, don't tell Boris Johnson!) stars and good development drivers. But they were hired for their pure speed and experience. Ken Miles was an obscure Brit doing small-time racing in the USA. He had no international credentials and few national credentials before he was drafted in to Shelby's program. Ken Miles was brought in purely for development and ended up succeeding on the international scene in the car he developed. The other guys were brought in as stars to be "pure racers". Miles ABSOLUTELY deserves to be a star of the story, but he should be properly represented. He's the star because of his key engineering contributions; there were PLENTY of fast guys Ford could have hired. (full disclosure: I'm an engineer, so....)
PSk likes this.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 06-05-2019 at 07:29 PM.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Spider View Post
Resemblance doesn’t matter. ....
If the goal was to have someone who looks and behaves like Shelby without trying, it wouldn’t be called “acting.”
So you're saying that you'd find any competent actor - say Don Cheadle or Meryl Streep - convincing as Carol Shelby?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:11 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
His early career got Carroll Shelby's attention, who hired Miles as a test driver in the early 1960s. Miles helped Shelby develop the Shelby Cobra.
Understandably Shelby wanted to work with Miles on the GT40 as well.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:15 PM

Garage
Le Mans at the time was pretty close cinematography(what would I know!), RUSH but for the good story about Nikki and James, was a disaster way too much blue screen and animation, FWIW: Grand Prix: some of those racing shots were well,.. pretty good (you know they used F3 cars dummied up) for Monaco and other scenes..

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
So you're saying that you'd find any competent actor - say Don Cheadle or Meryl Streep - convincing as Carol Shelby?
Samuel L. Jackson would be an AWESOME Carol Shelby!

While obviously not well loved around here, I've always loved Grand Prix.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Understandably Shelby wanted to work with Miles on the GT40 as well.

Pete
Oh sure - Shelby knew exactly who he wanted. But he told Ford "this guy's the best development driver in the business", not "what you need is a pure racer behind the wheel of your car".

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Gold Subscriber

Matt Damon as Shelby?........Good Lord, I guess Al Franken was booked.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Thank heavens we'll never know.

1976 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode