Best Racing Series of 2018 = MotoGp ! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Best Racing Series of 2018 = MotoGp !

With four different manufactures on the podium after two races, this year will provide an exciting series to follow.

I have been an F1 fan since 1976 after attending the LBGP. MotoGp has easily outshined F1 in the last couple years in my opinion.

This weekend MotoGp is COTA in Austin. Check it out and enjoy...
horsewidower likes this.

'67 Giulia Super
'08 Ducati 1098S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Garage
MotoGP and F1

Velocess- I agree, and I really don't enjoy saying it, but for me Formula1 as a supposedly prominent international racing series over the last few years has been about as exciting as watching paint dry on the wall, maybe less. There are way too many other race series to watch where the rules are simpler, the objectives clearer, the relationship between pilot and machine more visible, the racing between competitors more intense, and overall just plainly more entertaining. This goes for the seasoned race spectator and the newcomer.
I concur with your example- MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3. Comparing their respective races at the same circuit, more actual exciting, entertaining racing goes on in one weekend of MotoGP than has been seen in an entire season of Formula 1 lately. I can hardly wait till F1 goes all-electric and they have to resort to some high-tech version of balloons or playing cards against the spokes to achieve some sort of aural entertainment.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
With four different manufactures on the podium after two races, this year will provide an exciting series to follow.

I have been an F1 fan since 1976 after attending the LBGP. MotoGp has easily outshined F1 in the last couple years in my opinion.
I could not agree more. I followed formula 1 almost all of my life but I gave up on it when they went to hybrids. I too watch MotoGP now.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:44 AM

How can I view MotoGP? Who covers it & is it live?

Regards
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:30 PM

Lot of action in the Blancpain Sportscars series and the Australian V8 Supercar series. F1 got a little dull after the 3,5L V10 engines were retired!

https://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/

Hairy chest..AC/DC

Category: | Herald Sun

G.

Last edited by Gabor K.; 04-20-2018 at 01:37 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:54 PM

Yep, the Aussie V8 Supercar Series has alway had a lot of 'body-slamming' + a ton of lead changes & real competitive racing! Fun series to watch.

Regards
horsewidower likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 02:25 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
How can I view MotoGP? Who covers it & is it live?
Bein Sports in the USA

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 02:59 PM

Garage
MotoGP coverage

MotoGP can supposedly be viewed on several venues, channels, live-streams, etc. from what I understand. Not being the media-savvy type myself, I have found the most accessible way is to view it on DishTV channel 392- BeIn Sports. Usually pre-recorded but same day coverage and repeated at least once. Also on this channel are all rounds of WSB (World Super Bike) coverage, and I think coverage of the annual Isle of Mann TT spectacle.
If you are one of those who thinks today's racing does not require significant amounts of testicular fortitude to compete, then I challenge you to watch the high speed two-wheeled events that take place along the public roads in close proximity to the stone walls, brick buildings on the Isle of Mann. For an old motorcycle racer it's sometimes hard to watch.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capp View Post
If you are one of those who thinks today's racing does not require significant amounts of testicular fortitude to compete, then I challenge you to watch the high speed two-wheeled events that take place along the public roads in close proximity to the stone walls, brick buildings on the Isle of Mann. For an old motorcycle racer it's sometimes hard to watch.
Some time ago an Australian guest biker was racing there, saying that race was so hairy, that chanses were that racing there too much would eventually result that you would not get home.. too much risk to drive like that!

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:19 PM

I think that Moto GP is exciting but, I would never compared it to F1 racing. I still like F1 better than any other form of racing including endurance racing or Indy racing.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:20 PM

Was an F1 fan but like many others, lost interest when it became a procession, with winners determined by best pit stop strategies, fuel economy or lucky breaks under yellow flags.

MotoGP went through its own brand of boring (too few teams, too few starters), but even then there was always great racing in the under-classes (125/250/600s) and WSB (World Superbikes) as mentioned.

Isle of Man stuff is awesome (and nuts), but keeps you glued.

For addicts, British saloon and Superbike bike racing was always worth a look too - packed grids, lots of brands and sensational racing.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

I'm a huge Isle of Mann fan. Absolutely amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:38 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I watched the IOM TT races every year for at least 10 years. Most years it was just for the Friday races and we bought a cheap 24 hour ferry ticket from Liverpool. We took a train to Liverpool on Thursday evening, spent a couple of hours in a pub then boarded a ferry just before midnight. We were unloaded in Douglas IOM at about 5:00 am Friday. Then find some breakfast and make our way out to our chosen point on the circuit - usually a pub. Watch the two races then get back to Douglas for a meal and more beer then catch a ferry back to Liverpool just before midnight. I went for the whole week a couple of times and I took my Suzuki GT500 with me one year. The police did their best to stop the fans from killing themselves riding the course in traffic and I was pulled over a couple of times but they made the mountain section one way for most of the day on Sunday and I will never forget riding through the veranda flat out at about 105 mph for 1.5 miles as I hung onto a Triumph Trident and a Laverda 1000.
In those days Mike Hailwood was the king of the TT races and I saw his famous duel with Giacomo Agostini in the 1967 Senior TT. I also saw his comeback year for Ducati and Yamaha in 1978. I have a good photo of him at Ballough Bridge on the Martini Yamaha but I cannot find the file. I will re-scan the negative if anyone is interested.
Capp, horsewidower and Ranz like this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
In those days Mike Hailwood was the king of the TT races and I saw his famous duel with Giacomo Agostini in the 1967 Senior TT. I also saw his comeback year for Ducati and Yamaha in 1978. I have a good photo of him at Ballough Bridge on the Martini Yamaha but I cannot find the file. I will re-scan the negative if anyone is interested.
These videos from Isle of Man TT 1967 might freshen up memories a bit!

Le Mans start and a big chase but then Agostini breaking the chain..

Present day enactment of the race, Agostini still to be recognised, only difference they cannot jump start any more but need help with pushing. Otherwise not a bit slower than before ! The right stuff!

G.
alfaparticle likes this.

Last edited by Gabor K.; 04-22-2018 at 06:45 AM.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 05:44 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks Gabor. Those clips bring back great memories, especially the sound of the Honda.
I watched the race at Hillberry corner, a 100 + mph sweep at the bottom of the mountain section. The MV came through as if it were on rails and the Honda has bouncing all over the place. Honda knew how to make powerful engines but they had no clue about handling at that time. On lap 5 Hailwood came storming along and a little later Agostini coasted through silently, his race was over.
I had to get back to the mainland quickly that year as I was in college and I had skipped a day shortly before my final exams and a guy with a Triumph Speed twin gave me a ride back to the ferry terminal.

The little 250 Ariel that I am riding in my Avatar lapped the TT course at 84 mph in the hands of the PO.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

Last edited by alfaparticle; 04-22-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode