Formula 1 - 2018 - Page 20 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #286 of 334 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Moved to the hills of Tennessee - Chattanooga is a great town
Wheelspin for DannyRic spoiled his start, and another Renault engine spoiled his finish...sigh. I sure hope Renault gives him a car that's worth his talent next year.

Well, Hammy has tied Fangio on championships, and Ferraris had lucky podium finishes. Hopefully, Verstappen really has grown up - his willingness to have his engine power reduced after Ricciardo's problem shows some maturity.

All in all, not nearly as good a race as COTA.

On to Brazil.

Mike

A Chattanooga resident as of July 29, 2016

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1991 Lotus Elan M100
1973 Giulia Super 1.3 with a very hot 2.0L
1949 Austin Dorset (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 334 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 04:56 PM

I don't know if it's "fair" to compare Hamilton's 5 championships to Fangios.....The difference in the amount of races, different race-courses...when Fangio was competing how many races in a season? Twelve or so?

Anyhow: as w/my NYYankees, I say wait 'til next year for my RedTeam!

Regards

BTW: I don't know if I heard it right, but one of the Sky TV broadcasters stated that during Fangio's racing career "...46 drivers were killed, but less than a 'handful' were killed during Hamiltons...". Does that sound correct?
post #288 of 334 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 05:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

Also Sauber moved up to 8th in the team standings.

Bill Maloney

1969 Giulia Super Biscione
2017 Giulia TI AWD
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #289 of 334 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderSlam5 View Post

BTW: I don't know if I heard it right, but one of the Sky TV broadcasters stated that during Fangio's racing career "...46 drivers were killed, but less than a 'handful' were killed during Hamiltons...". Does that sound correct?
You didn't...Martin mentioned 47 !

post #290 of 334 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 11:27 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
I don't know if it's "fair" to compare Hamilton's 5 championships to Fangios.....The difference in the amount of races, different race-courses...when Fangio was competing how many races in a season? Twelve or so?
The only comparison is they both have always had the dominant car on the grid. But not knocking them, you only get the dominant car if you provide the goods.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #291 of 334 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:55 AM

Garage
Quote:

Anyhow: as w/my NYYankees, I say wait 'til next year for my RedTeam!

Regards

The constructors ($) is still up for grabs,,,???

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #292 of 334 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
The only comparison is they both have always had the dominant car on the grid. But not knocking them, you only get the dominant car if you provide the goods.

Pete

It's not entirely fair on Fangio - incredibly he only started racing Formula 1 when he was 6 years older than Hamilton at 39, who knows what he'd have done if he'd started earlier. Though a statistician might say he'd probably have died based on safety standards those days. He couldn't have started earlier as F1 didn't exist. And you are right, through luck or judgment he usually had a winning car.

In fairness to Hamilton one of the key points over this year is that he has won when he hasn't always had the best car - though admittedly usually one of the best 4-6 on the grid.

Looking back at his 12 years in F1 for the 5 years 2009-2013 he was in either a duffer of a McClaren or a similarly duff 'holding' Mercedes. So he's only realistically had a car capable of winning a championship for 7 of those years, in which time he has won 5, Both losses by small margins, though I always felt he should have won vs Kimi in his first year (when he didn't) and shouldn't have won in his second year (when he did).

So 5 from 7 is a pretty good hit rate. I wouldn't describe myself as a Hamilton fan, but I can admire the talent and skill, feel proud as a Brit and see the achievement.

Looking forward to seeing Verstappen and Leclerc in faster cars next year. Should mix things up nicely.
post #293 of 334 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:24 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
The constructors ($) is still up for grabs,,,???
2nd place is the first losers.

Ferrari have so much sponsorship money, they really don't give a rats about the WCC, thankfully. Being the car that powers the driver to WDC is where it is at; after all we all know that it is 95% car and 5% driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertiebloke
He couldn't have started earlier as F1 didn't exist
Err, I still wonder where you and others get this theory from. All that happened is a NAME change. It was the European Championship before the mere name change, I believe. The same sort of races had been run for many years with other name changes and rule changes, etc. The original Mercedes Silver Arrows and Alfa Romeo, etc. all were wonderful cars and the racing was very good.

Michael Schumacher and the team had developed the Mercedes into nearly a winning car when Hamilton made the right decision, they just needed the engine change. Again not knocking Hamilton, part of being a successful racing drivers is knowing when to change teams.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #294 of 334 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:20 PM

Garage
A hypothetical.....

Put Alonso these last couple of years in the backup Mercedes. How would he have done?

1967 1600 Spider
post #295 of 334 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Good old Max suffered a little karma in the race. Well deserved, IMO. That car is fast, though.

I wonder how the race would have gone if Hamilton hadn't had to back off to protect the engine. Seems like Mercedes have slipped a little in their preparation.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 11-11-2018 at 11:15 AM.
post #296 of 334 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Max's overtaking actions have been breathtaking brillant today - chapeau. Timing, car positioning, brillant.

Stupid Ocon action remembered me of Monza 1988 - Schlesser took out Ayrton.

Ocon behaved like an idiot.
In the Eighties, he would have been knocked out in the pits.
post #297 of 334 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Seems like Mercedes have slipped a little in their preparation.
Well they have already won, their priorities are now well and truly on next years car. Efforts on this years car is just wasting time and money.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #298 of 334 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:47 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Well, regardless, Ocon had the right to unlap himself, and Max did shut the door on him, not leaving room as the situation ended up requiring if he didn't want to be hit. Granted maybe Ocon shouldn't have made that particular try, but he was along side, and Max does have to watch out for himself.

What was needed from Max was wise defensive driving, necessary, esp if he wants to win the race. He just cannot bull his way around, feeling entitled, as he tends to do in these situations. He knew Ocon was there. His was kind of a Vettel move.

Good race.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #299 of 334 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Well, regardless, Ocon had the right to unlap himself, and Max did shut the door on him, not leaving room as the situation ended up requiring if he didn't want to be hit.
Absolutely NO. If you want to unlap yourself, YOU have to be careful.

NEVER you can take out the leader when unlapping yourself. Its 100% to you to take care NOT to harm the leader in any way.

FIA is a pu..y as well as they punished Max for pushing that idiot in the pits.
Ocon should have been banned for 1 race.
ARwrench likes this.
post #300 of 334 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

They are both racing, in their way, and the leader also has the responsibility to avoid a potential collision if he wants to win the race. While Max is a very very good driver in general, he is a big boy now and he should be mature enough to avoid a collision if he wants to win the race, something he did not do.

He didn't have to defend the position by moving over even if some people think Ocon shouldn't have been there. It was a hot flash Vettel move on his part (hey, I'm the leader now, so everybody stay away from my zone). Could have avoided the situation, stayed left, saying to the other driver, da*n it, be more careful next time. And then drive on his way to victory.

And looking at the race again, it was Max who did move over on the car along side, even if that car's position could be considered ill advised. Yes, Ocon as well could have avoided the collision by heavy braking, saying, oops, wasn't very careful there as well, I'm totally sorry. I do think Max thought he was untouchable, forgetting that backmarker drivers are like golfing sand traps.

An unfortunate occurrence caused by both drivers.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Last edited by Del; 11-11-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode