Formula 1 - 2018 - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Garage
pity that Hamilton ja Mercedes are bad losers:

"Interesting tactics from this side," says Hamilton after Raikkonen shunt. Wolff adds: "This is either deliberate or incompetence"

-Antti: --ex Alfas:155 2.0 8V '92,155 2.0 16V '96,156 V6 '98,156 V6 '02
http://carpix.1g.fi/kuvat/carpix/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Moved to the hills of Tennessee - Chattanooga is a great town
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsix View Post
pity that Hamilton ja Mercedes are bad losers:

"Interesting tactics from this side," says Hamilton after Raikkonen shunt. Wolff adds: "This is either deliberate or incompetence"
It appeared to me that Kimi didn't do anything intentional. And after Vettel's start, I doubt either of the MBs could have caught him, so the comments from Hammy and Wolff seem a bit churlish.

Mike

A Chattanooga resident as of July 29, 2016

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1991 Lotus Elan M100
1973 Giulia Super 1.3 with a very hot 2.0L
1949 Austin Dorset (Sold)
post #153 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

It almost doesn't matter if Hamilton or Bottas would get top spot in qual, as Vettel and the Ferrari seem to have a faster start off the line, esp in the last two races. The start turned out exactly as I thought it would, until Kimi tapped him out to last place. Was most probably an accident, but it IS Ferrari, such things not unknown in the past. And Kimi, of course...

If that hadn't have happened, Hamilton might have been able to get past Vettel quickly in the first or second lap, but not later, as it is just too difficult to pass in these races. It is very likely that Vettel would have been able to hold him off, even if Hamilton is faster on the track. Still, with the help of Bottas, he was able to make it back for a minimal loss.
Mercedes does have to up their tactics game even more, since they are clearly being out-thought, esp in the starts (stickier tires).

Once the raced started and I saw what happened, I just fast forwarded through the rest. I may be an Alfa fan, but have never ever been a Ferrari fan, even from the 60's (not into cults I guess).

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 07-08-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:00 AM

Unhappy

DRAT! Rotten luck for my RedTeam! Team MB received a gift...Congrats to Kimi for P3.

Regards
post #155 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:27 AM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
If we played a drinking game and had to take a shot everytime Sky reporters say "Hamilton," we would be passed out before the race even started. Also, did the reporter at the end of the last lap wet his pants?

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #156 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:53 AM

@ARwrench:

Yep! But 'Sky TV' is a Brit network & I think all their non-stop-talkers are Brits too.....

Regards
post #157 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:38 AM

Marchionne Dead

Sergio Marchionne, who resigned as CEO of Fiat a few days ago, died at age 66! He was also CEO of Ferrari.
post #158 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 03:37 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderSlam5 View Post
Sergio Marchionne, who resigned as CEO of Fiat a few days ago, died at age 66! He was also CEO of Ferrari.
Oh no! I didn't like what he did to Ferrari (floating) and not convinced re Alfa Romeo either, but that is too young, RIP.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #159 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:25 AM

Entertaining qualifying today...fun to watch. Unfortunately my RedTeam wound-up in P3 & P4. MBenz locked-up the front row=Hamilton P1. Rain was heavy, then lighter...back & forth several times sure made
watching interesting, but not fun for the racers.

Regards
post #160 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderSlam5 View Post
Entertaining qualifying today...fun to watch. Unfortunately my RedTeam wound-up in P3 & P4. MBenz locked-up the front row=Hamilton P1. Rain was heavy, then lighter...back & forth several times sure made
watching interesting, but not fun for the racers.

Regards
Ferrari has stunning pace....why They queued The cars 4th and 6th to pit out at Q3 was a wonder..??

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #161 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:52 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Ferrari has discovered a trick with their rear wings and the engine exhaust, where they can use a setting in the wing for providing downforce for the corners, but then stall out the wing for the straights by blowing the exhaust in a certain way past the wing, reducing the excessive drag of the wing as set for the corners. This gives them a higher speed on the straights.

One of two things will happen soon. Either the race officials will decide it is illegal, or the other teams will make similar changes very quickly. In any event, it is a slick idea.

The real problem for Mercedes in this race, as it has been in the recent/previous races, is the start. Mercedes are just not fast off the start, being passed in some cases by the Ferraris before the first turn. Vettel esp is superb off the line.

My own preference for the race is for Ricciardo to win (not going to happen of course), Hamilton 2nd, Alonso to podium, and Verstappen to crash out with Vettel.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 07-28-2018 at 10:16 AM.
post #162 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:48 AM
Gold Subscriber

Sauber Alfa seemed way off the pace this weekend. Got the feeling that after making Q3, Haas just sat back and didn't try to improve on P9 and P10. Either everyone is checking out early for the summer break or they are going to just coast through the second half of the season and use the excuse they are working on the 2019 car.
post #163 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 11:06 AM

Eventho I'm a life-long Ferrari fan I've got to respect Hamilton's ability to qualify P1 in the last minute=well done!

@Del:
The last line of your comment: "...Verstappen to crash out with Vettel" = very ugly!

Regards

ps-I would like to see Alonso on the podium's 3rd. step tho!

Last edited by SpiderSlam5; 07-28-2018 at 11:08 AM.
post #164 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 12:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ireland View Post
Sauber Alfa seemed way off the pace this weekend. Got the feeling that after making Q3, Haas just sat back and didn't try to improve on P9 and P10. Either everyone is checking out early for the summer break or they are going to just coast through the second half of the season and use the excuse they are working on the 2019 car.
My view was that the probability of improvement was far outweighed by the probability of an untoward event......

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #165 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 12:38 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
I'm amazed that anybody takes notice of the field fillers, such as Sauber-Alfa (that was hard to type) and Haas, and so many other teams. F1 has always been about the top 2, sometimes 3, teams. That is it. The others get lapped constantly and only have an impact on the race when the drivers forget the blue flag rules.

I'm definitely not holding my breath that Sauber will ever make a decent car, because it won't. Even if they happen to hire a genius and design in something new and clever that actually works, as soon as the main teams work it out they will zoom back past ... and offer the genius serious dollars. I guess a good season might attract a real sponsor and if Sauber really do know what they are doing they will spend that money on team infrastructure and build the enormous engineering company required to be competitive in F1, but they have had good cars in the past and yet they are still just burning money filling up the grid.

The real problem Italian car fans have now, is Ferrari have gone back to the days of hiring the second tier level of drivers. Yes Vettel is fast and with a car better than anybody elses on the grid can win a WDC (or 4), and yes Kimi is fast when he has a red hot chilli inserted in his anus (or whatever other motivational tool actually works for him. But this BS that he needs a car that suits him is getting old and boring. Racing cars and races change during a race so Kimi, like the really good drivers, needs to learn to adapt ... just ask MS, if you could).

Ferrari should have purchased Ricciardo IMO. There is real talent. Showed that he is faster than Vettel in the SAME car and his racecraft/passing is arguably the best on the grid ... but no, that deal fell through. What a pity.

Hopefully Vettel can recover from his disastrous last race and haul in the points, but unfortunately unless Hamilton makes a similar costly mistake this season has been compromised ... real shame as Ferrari have produced a very competitive car, they just don't have the drivers. It's like watching Alesi and Berger all over again.
Pete
Tom Frasca likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode