They just ain't pretty any more - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Location: Moved to the hills of Tennessee - Chattanooga is a great town
Unhappy They just ain't pretty any more

I recorded the Rolex 24 and just finished watching the last few hours yesterday. It occurred to me that the race cars aren't pretty any more. Think about it - the Caddy DPi is functional, but it sure isn't pretty, certainly not like a 33 Stradale. And there was a time when people raced cars like a Sprint Speciale. F1 is the same way - those cars are just butt ugly to anyone other than an aerodynamicist. Gone are the days of the AAR Eagle.

At least the racing was good - a 24 hour sprint race for all three classes.

Mike
Del likes this.

A Chattanooga resident as of July 29, 2016

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1991 Lotus Elan M100
1973 Giulia Super 1.3 with a very hot 2.0L
1949 Austin Dorset (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 05:25 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I'm with Mike, Aero has taken over and the cars have no relevance to the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhemsley View Post
I recorded the Rolex 24 and just finished watching the last few hours yesterday. It occurred to me that the race cars aren't pretty any more. Think about it - the Caddy DPi is functional, but it sure isn't pretty, certainly not like a 33 Stradale. And there was a time when people raced cars like a Sprint Speciale. F1 is the same way - those cars are just butt ugly to anyone other than an aerodynamicist. Gone are the days of the AAR Eagle.

At least the racing was good - a 24 hour sprint race for all three classes.

Mike
Del and horsewidower like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Although I'm sure it sounds like gear-head heresy, I find modern racing boring in the extreme. The cars mostly look alike and the racing tends to devolve into a high-speed parade. I'd rather watch vintage racing any day.
alfaparticle, Alfar7, Del and 5 others like this.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I agree. F1 has gotten themselves into trouble with passing, having to make up weird stuff like passing zones, etc, by having far too much aero design input with wings fore and aft. I think they should get rid of the wings front and rear, just designing the cars for lowest drag without these wings which prevent real racing because of the tremendous wakes behind them.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 09:45 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
While some 33 Stradales did race they were the pretty road version of the real race car the T33/2 ... so we should compare apples with apples

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 10:02 AM

In racing, pretty is as pretty does. Aero often makes for some strange looking cars and most beautiful cars have poor aero qualities. Tracks such as Daytona and Le Mans favor good aero shapes.
There's lots of vintage racing going on. Watch them instead.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
While some 33 Stradales did race they were the pretty road version of the real race car the T33/2 ... so we should compare apples with apples

Pete
OK, TZ2, then.

Mike

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1991 Lotus Elan M100
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
In racing, pretty is as pretty does. Aero often makes for some strange looking cars and most beautiful cars have poor aero qualities. Tracks such as Daytona and Le Mans favor good aero shapes.
There's lots of vintage racing going on. Watch them instead.
The only races I have actually attended in more than 10 years are vintage races and the Runoffs. The Runoffs are probably the best racing anywhere, but the best looking cars, like Alfa Spiders and Jags, have disappeared. I write about the production classes, and they are full or Miatas and tin tops. So, to see beautiful race cars, you do have to watch vintage racing.

I'll admit to a soft spot in my head for F1 - I've watched it in person, had media credentials to races, and now watch it on TV. I watch it, although I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I did in the 1960s, '70s, and '80s. IMSA provides good competition, much of the time, so I enjoy it as well. I like good racing, too bad there's so little in F1. The cars just are no longer pretty.

Mike

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1991 Lotus Elan M100
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Garage
This is a race car.... everything else is a computer on wheels....
Attached Images

mhemsley, GT4 and SpiderSlam5 like this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Modern Racing

Quote:
Although I'm sure it sounds like gear-head heresy, I find modern racing boring in the extreme. The cars mostly look alike and the racing tends to devolve into a high-speed parade. I'd rather watch vintage racing any day.
I agree, all motorsports today have evolved from human controled machines to electronic/computer controlled machines and the drivers are steering wheel holders.

From drag racing to F1 it`s boring to watch. They may as well add GPS and just let the computers race.
Del and spydaman like this.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 03:51 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk

Back in the '50s Joe lent over to Fred and said "Gee I'm not sure about these toothpaste tube shaped cars of today, much preferred the more masculine look of the old cars like, you know, the Bentleys"

Back in the '70s Daron was on a phone call with Anthony and said "Gee I'm not sure about all these winged cars of today, much preferred the streamlined look of the old cars like ... yeah those C-type Jaguars"

Back in the '90s Tony was on his mobile chatting with Shayne and said "Gee I'm not sure about all these weird high downforce cars of today, corner like on rails, much preferred the days when you could see the driver earn their pay"

Back in the '10s West sent a text to his mate Damien and wrote "Gee I'm not sure about all these high pitching screaming engines of today's race cars, much preferred them when they were belching fire like those Brabham BMW's did"

You get the picture
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

But see what it got you. Cars which cannot pass because their tremendous wake cannot be negotiated by the following car, either in handling, or because of overheating. So, to have any chance of passing, they use some finocky stupid "passing" zone, and manual change of vehicle drag by the driver.

They've finally painted themselves into the proverbial corner with their total emphasis on aero and computers. Their audience and relevance are down, costs are through the roof, and most people confess that they find the races boring.

I've seen them race in real life (real racing, the 67 Monza F1 race), and followed the races on television for decades, but I no longer care if I see a race or not.

Vintage has been my release. I watch them at the local track every summer. Lots of real fun and noise, with real cars.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 02-06-2018 at 07:08 PM.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 06:00 PM

Garage
PSK.....NO.............

Tom

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 02-07-2018 at 07:56 AM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Garage
WE LOVE Bathurst.........count the days
This experienced driver tells it like it is.
cucinando and GT4 like this.

Current cars 1975 spyder under resto, 1973 Berlina Resto 1976 Berlina parts car 1972 GTjunior fully restored, 1 complete rolling shell spyder.exit 1989 75 T/S sold
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 PM

Garage
The passenger seat is always 40Km. faster..

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode