They just ain't pretty any more - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
SO much going on here. Shaver blades at the front, the needle nose, then slats and shelves and cubbies and barge boards and blades sticking off every which way...

Attachment 1435706

Attachment 1435722
Plenty of neat spaces to store binder clips, rubber bands, and such!

1969 1750 GTV (US), 2002 BMW M3, 1991 164S, 1972 2000 GTV (US), 1968 1750 GTV (Euro), 2003 BMW M5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:16 PM

Victory is beautiful.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:44 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I think they should throw away all that aero cr*p and let the cars move around instead of gluing them to the pavement. That way we could really see the input from the driver as he maneuvers the car in a much more visible manner. Much more fun to see. As it is now, they always look like they are mounted on rails. Boring.

Plus, we could again end up seeing beautiful cars such as something akin to the Gurney Eagle (while still using the increased safety of the modern body of course).

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:44 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Agree. When they make me king of the universe, just for the heck of it I might ban CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics); the technique used to simulate and measure airflow over every little part of the race car, resulting in the wings, spoilers, slits, slots, barge boards, etc.

Of course, even Gurney used aerodynamic advantages. Google the Eagle BLAT Indy car and it's subsequent banning from competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
I think they should throw away all that aero cr*p and let the cars move around instead of gluing them to the pavement. That way we could really see the input from the driver as he maneuvers the car in a much more visible manner. Much more fun to see. As it is now, they always look like they are mounted on rails. Boring.

Plus, we could again end up seeing beautiful cars such as something akin to the Gurney Eagle (while still using the increased safety of the modern body of course).
mhemsley likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Location: Moved to the hills of Tennessee - Chattanooga is a great town
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by conedriver View Post
Agree. When they make me king of the universe, just for the heck of it I might ban CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics); the technique used to simulate and measure airflow over every little part of the race car, resulting in the wings, spoilers, slits, slots, barge boards, etc.

Of course, even Gurney used aerodynamic advantages. Google the Eagle BLAT Indy car and it's subsequent banning from competition.
George for King of the Universe! King George the ConeDriver!

Let's start a movement!

Mike

A Chattanooga resident as of July 29, 2016

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1991 Lotus Elan M100
1973 Giulia Super 1.3 with a very hot 2.0L
1949 Austin Dorset (Sold)
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:43 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post

But they would be slow.

Just like sports car manufacturers do not have the balls to make a car that is less powerful and slower than their competitor, even if it is the greatest car ever designed, F1 will never permit themselves to be schooled by Indy and Sportscars
Pete
ps: The greatest disappointment with modern cars is this hp chase. If we concentrated on making great drivers cars, instead of worrying about the length of the manufacturer's penis, the % of car enthusiasts would still be high ... but Alfa Romeo with the 4c is the only example I can think of where any manufacturer made the right car, but even Alfa then got insecure and made the Guilia Quad ...
mhemsley likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
But they would be slow.

Just like sports car manufacturers do not have the balls to make a car that is less powerful and slower than their competitor, even if it is the greatest car ever designed, F1 will never permit themselves to be schooled by Indy and Sportscars
Pete
ps: The greatest disappointment with modern cars is this hp chase. If we concentrated on making great drivers cars, instead of worrying about the length of the manufacturer's penis, the % of car enthusiasts would still be high ... but Alfa Romeo with the 4c is the only example I can think of where any manufacturer made the right car, but even Alfa then got insecure and made the Guilia Quad ...
PSK - BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1991 Lotus Elan M100
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"But they would be slow"

But the drivers are racing against each other, not any other group. That's what I want to see.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Some of the best racing I've ever seen has been in the "slow" classes in SCCA - Formula Vee forever has given us great racing. Same with Spec Miata and Spec Racer. They may be slow, but the cars are very close in potential, so the difference is the driver. Close racing is the best. Cars don't need 1000 hp and 200+ mph to be exciting. In fact, a string of cars all following each other is boring no matter how fast they are going.

Fast cars, slow cars, I don't care - give me competition.

Mike
PSk and Del like this.

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1991 Lotus Elan M100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode