F1 2017 - Page 16 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Moved to the hills of Tennessee - Chattanooga is a great town
Sorry for the diversion to a bit of history, but I just got this link and spent a very nice hour watching the documentary about a driver I believe is one of the better "champions" we've had in F1. It was forwarded to me by a friend who got it from Chip Hanauer. If you don't know who Hanauer is, google him - he's a pretty impressive guy in a very different form of racing.

Enjoy!

Mike

A Chattanooga resident as of July 29, 2016

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1991 Lotus Elan M100
1973 Giulia Super 1.3 with a very hot 2.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 06:13 PM

I watched this documentary just this week when it was shown on the BBC here
in the UK.
I never saw Jimmy race in a GP but as a very young boy watched him race a Lotus Cortina
around Brands Hatch... he was absolutely one of a kind!!

Regards

Alfa SZ
BMW M3
post #228 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 11:33 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaSZ View Post
Lewis has never put a block on who he drives with in the team unlike
many before and some on todays grid... and has never asked for or demanded Nr.1 status.
AlfaSZ, are you miss representing what I write on purpose? I never said Lewis did anything, I said MERCEDES did. They hired Bottas because they, not Lewis, knew Lewis would easily beat him meaning they will not have to deal with the politics of drivers fighting each other. It was excruciating watching them dig themselves into holes trying to deal with the Lewis and Nico pairing
Quote:
As I said before I look forward to the day we can read Lewis's book to
learn the truth about all of his F1 exploits and not what the papers choose to print.
Everything written is the writer's opinion, so Lewis' book will be how he saw everything, and yes it would be interesting. Nico's book would be just as interesting, and others. Obviously Lewis and Nico will not agree, as they shouldn't because even if they were both involved in exactly the same incident they have different viewpoints, political influences, etc.

Oh and regarding the 'Go swivel' comment, no reporter got that printed, the whole world heard it come out of Lewis' mouth, live .
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 11-04-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #229 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 02:49 AM

I wasn't trying to miss represent what you said but to point out that
the decisions regarding Lewis’s team mates, in any team, has never been
down to him, unlike others.
Nico’s choice to go a week after winning the championship caught Mercedes
completely unaware. Indeed, he had signed a new contract a few months before.
At that time Mercedes chose the best (to their minds) available, not
because he was weak but because what we consider the top 5 or so were
under contract elsewhere and unavailable.
All teams have a problem with team mates especially when they are close in performance and always will have.
It was a big part of the problems regarding the race we talked about earlier.
Alonso had signed a Nr.1 contract and Hamilton, who was leading the
championship at the time, rightly or wrongly reacted as he did.

Oh and you haven't heard the 'Go swivel' comment from Lewis live or otherwise.. The exchange between Lewis and Ron was never and has never been broadcast!

Regards

Alfa SZ
BMW M3

Last edited by AlfaSZ; 11-05-2017 at 03:25 AM.
post #230 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 11:58 AM
PSk

Pretty sure I have

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #231 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 12:59 PM

Sorry Pete, it was never broadcast live or subsequently... and there has been no transcript released.

The 'story' came from a Renault mechanic, the Times and News of the World ran with it.
The Times later backtracked saying that Lewis hadn't sworn but had sarcastically said over
the radio words to the effect of 'Thanks for that'... 'Thanks very much!!'.. which annoyed Ron.
The original 'story' went around the world and is now part of F1 folklore.. but in reality its
a myth.

'Swivel' isn't in any phrase we use in the UK... Go **** yourself, yes, but not go swivel..

Regards

Alfa SZ
BMW M3
post #232 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 01:22 PM
PSk

Interesting

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #233 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 08:50 AM

Pretty 'un-impressive' finale to the 2017 F1 season...hopefully 2018 will be more competitive! The only up-side to today's GP was Alonso finishing in the points...maybe in 2018 he'll be able to 'crack' the top 5(wishful thinking). And possibly my RedTeam will figure out what Mercedes already knows!

Regards
post #234 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:05 AM
Gold Subscriber

Then there was the short comment about the possibility of Sauber getting either a up-to-date Ferrari engine in 2018 or one badged as an Alfa Romeo. How many times have we heard that Alfa was coming back? Not sure I'm a big fan of badged engines, although it seems to work for Red Bull - better than the other Renault-powered teams.

2018 will hopefully be more interesting than 2017, although it sounds like ESPN isn't going to try very hard to give us good coverage.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Mike

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1991 Lotus Elan M100
post #235 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 05:15 PM

@mhemsley:

ESPN is covering F1? So no more NBC/SN? Hopefully ESPN will have fewer commercials...

Regards
post #236 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 06:16 PM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
^

...as long as they don't hire Diffey.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #237 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Formula 1

The Alfa Romeo brand is returning to Formula 1 for the first time since 1985 after agreeing a new partnership with the Swiss-based Sauber team.

The move strengthens the links between Sauber and Ferrari, which is a sister brand of Fiat-owned Alfa Romeo.

Fiat and Ferrari share the same boss in Sergio Marchionne, who described the arrangement as "a multi-year technical and commercial partnership agreement".

Sauber are expected to run Ferrari protege Charles Leclerc next season.

The other car will be raced by either current driver Marcus Ericsson of Sweden or Ferrari reserve Antonio Giovinazzi.

Sauber chairman Pascal Picci said: "Alfa Romeo has a long history of success in grand prix racing, and we are very proud that this internationally renowned company has chosen to work with us for its return to the pinnacle of motorsport.

"Working closely with a car manufacturer is a great opportunity for the Sauber Group to further develop its technology and engineering projects."

The Alfa Romeo logo has been on the Ferrari cars this season but this will be the marque's highest-profile involvement in F1 since 1985, the final year of a seven-year involvement as a factory team.

Prior to that, Alfa Romeo won the first two F1 titles in 1950 and 1951 with Giuseppe 'Nino' Farina and Juan Manuel Fangio.

And it was a leading team in the pre-war predecessor of F1, the European championship, when it became synonymous with legendary drivers such as Tazio Nuvolari and Achille Varzi.

Ferrari itself started as an off-shoot of Alfa Romeo. Enzo Ferrari ran Alfa Romeo grand prix cars in the 1930s before the two parties fell out shortly before the Second World War. Ferrari started to race his own cars in 1947.
post #238 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:58 AM
PSk

It's just a sticker ... and like Williams can never beat Mercedes, Alfa Romeo stickered cars will never be allowed to beat Ferrari.

But I guess a few extra people might hear about the brand now?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #239 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Guess I need to eat my words of a few day ago. So, Alfa is back as an Alfa Romeo-Sauber with a second tier Ferrari engine badged as an Alfa. Hopefully, Sauber can do better in 2018 than they did this year - dead last - but I can't believe it's likely. The only hope is that the Honda-engined Toro Rosso will be last on the grid instead of Sauber.

As for our viewing pleasure, I read in the most recent Auto-everyother-Week that all 21 2018 races will be shown on ESPN or ESPN2 with a couple shown live on ABC (US and Mexican races). Monaco will be broadcast live on one of the ESPN channels; ABC will also broadcast it but after the Indy 500. There will be no ESPN presence at the races - all commentary will be from a British channel's team. The reason NBC decided not to renew with Liberty is competition - Liberty intends to pursue other avenues (pay-per-view and internet) for race coverage, and NBC saw that as having a contract with an entity that is trying to replace them.

So much happening in so little time, including a new F1 logo, which sucks big time. Liberty media isn't making me feel warm and fuzzy about their ideas for F1, especially after that idiot they hired to do driver intros in Austin. I haven't attended an F1 race since I stopped covering the Alfa team back in the '80s, and I have no inclination to attend one ever again. I will continue to watch every race, though, at least until they go pay-per-view.

Oh, and Totto Wolf has said MB might join Ferrari and leave F1 is the engine rules and spending caps are enacted in 2020.

Certainly, Liberty Media will learn and improve F1. They can't possibly be worse than Bernie.

Ciao, Ya'll

Mike

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1991 Lotus Elan M100
post #240 of 248 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderSlam5 View Post
@mhemsley:

ESPN is covering F1? So no more NBC/SN? Hopefully ESPN will have fewer commercials...

Regards
ESPN is having financial difficulties:

ESPN will reportedly lay off more people, including on-air talent - Business Insider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode