Old Alfa Racer Pics West Coast - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Great pics Andrew! Thanks for sharing and stiring memories.
I spent a lot of my youth at RIR. As a kid watching my mom race there. As a teen, hanging out around all the different race cars and teams including helping out on a very tight budget Phil Caliva indy car effort, off-road races, Nascar and essentially all of the SCCA regionals and nationals. As a young adult, racing there with SCCA regional, nationals and Enduros, plus a couple "Pro" Showroom Stock races in the Playboy and Firehawk series. Won my class at the last race there in my Datsun 2-liter Roadster RIP RIR. So many stories...loved that place...

DaveAttachment 1380849
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Certainly Dave knows this; Brengle car is currently being restored in Berkeley. It ran in AROSC and vintage races for decades, I'm sure I saw it in the Gaylard/Rosenstock days but I seem not to have a pic of it, though of some other TZs.

Andrew
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Two more. First, same spot as the TZ pic in the Esses just before 6. Folks timetrialed Alfetta sedans in the 70s! Second, turning the other way exiting 6, short and long-tail SZs at a vintage race, perhaps a year earlier (1978).

Andrew
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure that is Bill Biggs in the short tail SZ with the yellow wheels.
I spent a little time with Bill and his wife at the Monterey Historics this year. He showed me some pics of that same car.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Both old and recent pics.

Enjoyable!

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
As to Riverside, race tracks I think were built very much on the cheap. It was already 20 years old at this point, and had 10 years of life left. Race tracks were rarely well-funded and not great financial propositions (to whit, Ontario MS). So they probably didn't put any more money into it than they had to, and I'm sure the writing was already on the wall to run it as a track til the value of the property to develop was too much to ignore. Can you imagine how much they got for this when it was sold off?

Yes it was dusty, it's Southern California a long way from the beach, hot, smoggy, dusty, windy, up against the hills. There are wind farms to the east now, which says something about the wind. On a typical day in the 70s you couldn't see across the pits, much less across the track, due to smog. It's much better now. And hot hot hot in the summer. All that said, it's the greatest loss of all to SoCal, I think.

Tam's Old Race Car Site is pretty good on this and other lost tracks. Tam's Old Race Car Site

Andrew
thank you for posting up those wonderful large scans. Ive been on Fontuckey nearby RIR which is a sad excuse for a road course.. it must pales in comparisons to that fantastic fast old track.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 06:18 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Yes, Bill Biggs. He was in the SD club at the time, as was I. More recently he was in the ARA in NorCal, though not sure how active he is any longer.
Here's my then-employer, Dan Jaharis, on the back straight, from the bridge, in a Duetto we built up at his shop in Cardiff. He had a cheap nasty GTA (when such a thing was possible) too, ran at other events but not this one.
Andrew
Attached Images

post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Oh this is a nice trip down memory lane. I would go to Riverside for the AROSC TT's in my '63 spider just to watch, work corners, help people with their cars. It was nirvana for a teenager. Occasionally I got a ride and I was hooked. Was able to buy a ratty '69 GTV and convince my dad that I should TT while I was in college. I consider Riverside as where I learned to drive. I remember most of the cars in those pictures. If memory serves, AROSC had several "last event at Riverside" TT's as they kept it open past the many scheduled closing dates. What a loss.
Andrew, I am surprised we never met. Sounds like we are about the same age (old!).

Dave De Rosier
1969 Spider, 1965 Giulia Sprint GT vintage racer
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Funny, I don't think of myself as old yet, though people do ask me if I'm retired.
I knew Dave Mericle Jr then; he and I were teens in the SD club. I didn't go to a lot of club stuff, but all the time trials I could 1977-80 before I moved to NorCal.
I hung out with Jim and Joe Hart, they're still around, wineries in Temecula and Julian. Pat Garret, Richard Baron.
Andrew
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

Superior driving! Thanks for sharing and all the other photos too. Way Cool.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Two more. First, same spot as the TZ pic in the Esses just before 6. Folks timetrialed Alfetta sedans in the 70s! Second, turning the other way exiting 6, short and long-tail SZs at a vintage race, perhaps a year earlier (1978).

Andrew
I Remember Finally Getting The Courage To Take Turn 2 Flat Out In 5th (blind right hander - top of your photo) At An SCCA Drivers School In My EP Giulietta Spider (1600 & webers) In 1976/77?. What A Feeling! I Don't Think I Could Do That Today.

-John Carden
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

New in-car video from Willow Springs 3/24/19

Here are the first couple of laps of the race. Chasing "Alfa Rex" was a great learning experience.
Enjoy,
Dave

post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:17 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Nice film of driving.

I noticed the white TR-3. My racing friend used to run neck and neck per lap with the TR-3s in his 1959 1300 Veloce coupe. They cornered slightly better and had barely better brakes as I remember, but he was faster on the straight. Normally shifted at ~9000 rpm.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:31 AM
Gold Subscriber

TR 3 displacement was 2138 cc and put out 127 Torque ( had to look it up).

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 AM

Being from Texas, I first visited Riverside during the Alfa Club National meeting in Long Beach in the 70's. The ZAP Motors guys and me drove out to Califa in our friend John's '59 Citroen ID19 Safari wagon. Watching the time trials, I saw for the first time just how fast well prepared Supers and TI Supers could be made to go on a race-track. As I recall there was a TI Super that was dogging a couple of GTAs. It couldn't quite get around them but they couldn't quite pull away. They were obviously having a great time on one of America's iconic race-tracks. For us, California was nirvana. But, then, so was Austin . . . What a day to remember!

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode