Old Alfa Racer Pics West Coast - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 09:07 PM

West Coast Alfas

David, I do have a bunch of 50s 60s 70s plus pictures if I could figure out how to post them, I am almost as old as your Dad so my computer skills are not very good, but I will work on it. I ran mostly Northwest races, but I did run at Riverside, Cotati, Vacaville, Crows landing, and of course Sears Point and Laguna Seca, in SCCA Races plus the last 30 plus years in Vintage at most of those tracks!

Denny Pillar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Denny,
attaching pics takes a little patience. Click on reply, type your words, click on the paperclip icon and a small box will pop up, click on browse and find the picture you want to use then click on upload. You can repeat this up to 5 times per post. when you are ready then just click on post.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Dave
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:45 PM

Here is the first nadene Brengle Giulietta restored. Just finished a couple of months ago. Note the same license plate from the old photos. The nose needed a bit of work but overall it was a rust free car. Conrad made a sweet motor with nice cams. We broke it in on an engine Dyno before installation. 130 Hp at around 7000 rpms
Attached Images

Mike I.
'61 Giulietta SS, '59 Spider Veloce, '67 duetto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

A beauty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I have a ton of slides from AROSC timetrials, vintage races, and SCCA races at Riverside and Willow Springs late 70s, most not scanned, but can post a few.
Here's Jon (I think) Barlow in a BSR GTV at AROSC timetrial, Riverside, likely spring 1979.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Riverside as I recall it in all its smoggy glory, and this was a late winter day with plenty of snow over by Palm Springs. Barlow again, headed for 7A.
Plus, in Kodachrome, Marnix Dillenius, 20 years before I met him, in his TZ at 6.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Videos from Monterey 2016. The car had a corner exit miss that sounded a lot like fuel starvation. Also there was 2 major oil leaks that kept me driving pretty conservatively with respect to RPMs.

Dave
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Here is the Sunday Flag race at Monterey Group 4B

Dave
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

After fixing all of the oil leaks and replacing the fuel pump and regulator, the car ran the best it ever has. Many thanks to my friends and family for all their support and patience.

Dave
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

At Coronado I was almost 4 seconds/lap faster than last year. Running with cars in the front that I have not been close to. Then this happens. You know what they say...they always run the best right before they.....
Front and rear views. Fortunately no one was hurt.

Dave
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Well....... POOH Dave!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I have a ton of slides from AROSC timetrials, vintage races, and SCCA races at Riverside and Willow Springs late 70s, most not scanned, but can post a few.
Here's Jon (I think) Barlow in a BSR GTV at AROSC timetrial, Riverside, likely spring 1979.

Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Riverside as I recall it in all its smoggy glory, and this was a late winter day with plenty of snow over by Palm Springs. Barlow again, headed for 7A.
Plus, in Kodachrome, Marnix Dillenius, 20 years before I met him, in his TZ at 6.

Andrew
exellent, very cool pics. i've never got a chance to drive riverside before it closed. im surprised how bumpy the straight was. ive heard the track can get really dusty too.

what ever happen to barlow's gtv? any more details or pics on this car? it looks to be running large diameter wheels in the rear.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 06:45 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I believe Barlow is still around, has an insurance agency. Dunno re the car, this is nearly 40 years ago now. I have one or two more pics of it in the pits, attached here.
I lived in North County SD, didn't really know the LA guys at the time. Plus I was 20, really a kid.
Andrew
Attached Images

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 06:51 AM
Platinum Subscriber

As to Riverside, race tracks I think were built very much on the cheap. It was already 20 years old at this point, and had 10 years of life left. Race tracks were rarely well-funded and not great financial propositions (to whit, Ontario MS). So they probably didn't put any more money into it than they had to, and I'm sure the writing was already on the wall to run it as a track til the value of the property to develop was too much to ignore. Can you imagine how much they got for this when it was sold off?

Yes it was dusty, it's Southern California a long way from the beach, hot, smoggy, dusty, windy, up against the hills. There are wind farms to the east now, which says something about the wind. On a typical day in the 70s you couldn't see across the pits, much less across the track, due to smog. It's much better now. And hot hot hot in the summer. All that said, it's the greatest loss of all to SoCal, I think.

Tam's Old Race Car Site is pretty good on this and other lost tracks. Tam's Old Race Car Site

Andrew
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Platinum Subscriber

One more, my favorite "atmospheric" pic from this day. This is the back straight, headed from 6 to 7A, looking roughly south. That's the Barlow car again. This is utterly typical of smog conditions of the time. March Field was active at the time right next door, B-52s used to take off over 395, and they could create this much smog themselves. Terrifying at 100 feet.
Andrew
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode