Streets Of Willow - February 8th & 9th - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Sniady
Streets Of Willow - February 8th & 9th

"It's time for the AROSC high performance driving school february 8 & 9, 2003"

So, who's going? I sure am. If you need an entry form I can e-mail it to you, or you can contact Doug Bender (AROSC Competition Director) at [email protected].

Sniady
'how the devil do they do that with a live rear axle?'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 08:46 AM

Shannon and I will be there... not in Alfas though. She'll be driving her new SVT Focus and I'll be driving my WRX. We're both signed up for the Adv Time Trial class.

Which class did you sign up for Sniady?

I can't wait! I haven't been on the track since Laguna in November... and that's like an eternity!! I'm used to doing a track event at LEAST every other month, occasionally once a month (when finances allow)... and it's been 3 months now!

Chip Mutza

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

I'm doing the street performance class. Does the intro class get a lot fo track time?

Sniady
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:08 PM

All of the groups get equal track, skidpad and classroom time. You rotate positions every hour.

Being in street performance you'll most likely be in the classroom first for an hour, then skidpad, and finally an hour on the track. Time trial group will go to the skidpad first, then class, then track, adv time trial/race will go to track first, skidpad, and then class... etc. There are either 2 or 3 rotations each day... I can't remember exactly, it's been a while since my last school. Then Sunday afternoon they open up the WHOLE track (we only use a small 8 turn section of the track during the school) for all cars equipped with the proper safety equipment (harness & fire extinguisher).

Fun fun fun!

Chip Mutza

post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

So, is there more then enough track time for the groups? I want to come back home with bald tires!

Sniady
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:31 PM

Not as much track time as a time trial, but you'll have plenty of opportunity to wear out those tires, especially on the skidpad!

Chip Mutza

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Cool, do they set up cones on the skidpad? I wanna do some drifting!

Sniady

Last edited by Sniady; 01-22-2003 at 01:49 PM.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:57 PM

They will set up all sorts of different activities on the skidpad like slolam, wet skidpad exersizes, etc.

Chip Mutza

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Sweet!

I just hope the intro group guys use there accelerators. I'm not a pro, but I like to go fast and push it!! I'll stick in the back of the line.

Sniady
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 02:14 PM

You're doing the Street Performance group, right? Not the lunchtime intro group? I don't know if they do the lunchtime intro group at the schools (maybe... but its not mentioned in the flyer).

During the track time you can pass slower cars on the straight or pull back into the pits and have them let you out where there's no traffic.

Chip Mutza

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm doing the Street performance, I just call it the intro group, because Street Performance sounds a little to tuff for me.

You can pass on the straights! YES!!! Oh, it's going to be fun!

Sniady
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 02:29 PM

Look out though... last time I did a school there were lots of FAST cars with SLOW drivers in Street performance... hopefully they'll let you pass on the straight Sorry, but it doesn't matter how fast you are on the rest of the track... there's no way you're gonna pass a Corvette Z06 or Viper on the straight unless they let off

Just kidding, people are usually curtious enough to let you by if they are slower.

Chip Mutza

post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, hopefully they will let us pass on the straights. Oh, I'm not stressing any Z06's or Vipers. Please!!! I own a Alfa Romeo GTV. I can easily just pull in the pits and wait 10 seconds.

Sniady
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 04:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to argtv7
Driving School

OK, first, our guest instructor will be John Morton. If you don't know who he is, just "google" him. He won the 12 hours of Sebring....3 years in a row. 2 time LeMans winner, 2 time Trans-Am champ (Datsun 510), etc, etc. Don't miss the dinner at the Chinese restaurant...probably a slide show of John's career!

It looks like we have a particularly large race school, so there is a posibility that we may do a double sized race group and move the advanced time trialers together with the intermediate guys. There is no "lunchtime" intro group. Us instructors get to go out and play at lunch. I hope to be driving one of Joel Quaids Ferrari 360GTs (he's bringing 2!!).

Extra credit....I hope to lead a walk around the track for anyone interested. We'll "probably" do it at about 7:15 Saturday morning. Very very informative! A big advantage. I may tell the racers that they have to do it. Let me know....

If you have a chance to put harnesses in your car, and a fire ext (if you don't already have them) it's worth it, because you can do the "lapping session" at the end of the day Sunday. It's the best part, but you need harnesses. Borrow them if you cant buy them.

Happy to answer any other driving school questions...been instructing at them since 1993. I'll be teaching the race school, as usual.

Brad
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 05:21 PM

Hey Brad,

Thanks for the info...

I think if someone offered me to drive thier F360GT on the track I'd be jumping up and down with excitement for weeks!!

I have a question regarding harnesses:

I need to install a harness in Shannon's SVT Focus for the Adv TT school, and had a question about mounting points. Usually I would replace the rear seatbelt mount bolts with eyebolts and clip the shoulder harness into that, but her car has clip-in points for a child seat (I think thats what it's for) and ithey're bolted into the rear belt mounts on each seatbelt position. Can I just clip the shoulder harness to these or should I go ahead and replace the bolts with eyebolts? The child seat attachment points look to be very strong and seem to me that they would be just as good as eye bolts. One other question.. anti-sub belt... does it have to mounted with a bolt through the floor or can it attach to the seat mount (underneath the seat there is a nice thick steel bar running left-to-right that is part of the seat slider on the floor side, and it seems like it would be perfect to attach the 5th belt to).

One last question... do you know how long the Sunday afternoon lapping session will be? I think it's usually an hour (last time I did a school we went CCW for 30 min and CW for another 30min) but I can't remember exactly. Actually if you know the schedule for the event it would be great if you could post it.

Thanks!

Chip Mutza

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode