Lemons/Chump problems - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 348 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Rear springs, brake pads

Hey guys

What are yall running for rear springs? I was kicking some around the other day, they are BMW e28 5 series fronts...1.5 shorter free length, wire diameter a tiny bit thicker. I get them cheap as I sell the strut housings from the u pull it yards, they tend to rust out badly in the NE, etc. Both my cars are at stock ride...want to make some changes...If they work out will sell a pair for $30 DELIVERED.

Also I have a set of Ferodo Race pads for the rear, brand new in the box FCP3H (2500 compound), these are definitely too swanky for my team and I have almost a lifetime supply of Hawks as they are the same rear pad as my old BMW racer...$75 DELIVERED.

Last edited by Bavman25; 01-02-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: correct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 348 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
We cut our springs. Later I found a pair of racing springs, when I removed the cut ones they were pretty much the same coil diameter and overall length as the race springs..

bs
post #63 of 348 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 AM

Liners

I found out that we broke a piston at Road America in October. Tear down revealed a fair amount of wear on the liners (2.0L Nord). Common sense tells me its time to buy a new piston/liner set, however my wallet says otherwise. My brief explorations show me 9:1 sets are NLA. I don't think we can use a higher CR set because of the work done on the cylinder head. Anyone have any experience with this they care to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 348 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Is the head cut a lot or do you have a lot of lift? I have a set of used Borgo 10.6 if you want them. They will need rings and liners.

BTW, I don't think those pistons were ever 10.6 compression on a stock cylinder head.

1972 Berlina Vintage Racer, 1987 Milano Platinum (LeMons Car), 1982 GTV6 EP Race Car, 1974 GTV Vintage Race Car, 2012 VW GTI stage II, 1966 Corvette Coupe 327-350, 2007 Triumph T100 Bonneville. Dearly departed: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider, 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1995 BMW 540i Sport, 2014 Audi A4 (swamped)
post #65 of 348 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 AM

We cut the head to give roughly 10.5:1 with the stock Spica pistons (.053? if I remember correctly). I am deathly afraid of detonation and piston/valve contact.
post #66 of 348 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
I wouldn't go higher. The most significant lesson I've learned in LeMons is that most of the things you do to make the car faster will also make it less efficient and break more often. If your changes reduce efficiency to the point where you need to add a fuel stop, you've just negated all of your efforts.

bs
post #67 of 348 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 AM

Amen. Old cars are hell.
post #68 of 348 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM

I have a set of low mileage spica pistons....I think around 40 k miles, very little scuff...$50 for the set, I should be able to scare up some liners but that may take a while...

Al
post #69 of 348 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 PM

Got some new to me pistons and liners yesterday from BB member Ed Thomad, really good stuff! The block is off to the machine shop for cleaning and crack testing.
I have looked over the broken parts and cannot find a smoking gun for the broken ring land. I can find no evidence of detonation on the pistons or head. I had about 20 race hours on the engine but have no idea of the engines prior history. Is old age and possible prior abuse a factor? Am I missing something?
post #70 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

It's alive

Well this hasn't been a problem YET but I'm sure we'll have some teething issues. Fired it up for the first time last night. Five days till we have to be at the track.
Attached Images

Wes
Winner 24 Hours of Lemons, Finally

Last edited by Alfaguy35; 03-17-2013 at 10:17 AM.
post #71 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaguy35 View Post
Well this hasn't been a problem YET but I'm sure we'll have some teething issues. Fired it up for the first time last night. Five days till we have to be at the track.
So how did it go?

BTW, I have been running the spider calipers on my Milano and the GTV6 and did some work to figure out the bleeding situation. It confirmed what I had thought. It is nearly impossible to get all the air out of these calipers when they are mounted on a transaxle car. And contrary to conventional Alfa Lore jacking up the rear of the car is opposite what makes it better.

1st solution for bleeding out air is to either use brand new pads so that the pistons are all the way back. Or even better make a set of shims to replace pads that push the pistons back all that they physically can.

2nd is to jack the front of the car way up, that puts the bleeder hole in the caliper bore closer to 12 O'clock rather than 10 O'clock where it is when on a transaxle.

The thing is I have been running these calipers for two years and the rear brakes are OK but difficult to modulate. When they lock you must release a lot of pressure to get them to unlock. I think that's because the tiny bit of air in there has been acting as an accumulator.

I am working on a solution which involves a little bit of machining inside the caliper in the meantime and will post my findings.

Here is a picture of the issue. Next discussion is how the factory rear proportioning valve is no good for racing.

Greg
Attached Images

1972 Berlina Vintage Racer, 1987 Milano Platinum (LeMons Car), 1982 GTV6 EP Race Car, 1974 GTV Vintage Race Car, 2012 VW GTI stage II, 1966 Corvette Coupe 327-350, 2007 Triumph T100 Bonneville. Dearly departed: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider, 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1995 BMW 540i Sport, 2014 Audi A4 (swamped)
post #72 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 03:12 PM

Just ran the 10 hour Chump race at VIR yesterday in this:

Facebook

Could not get the new Milano ready in time. Chump is now filled with cheated up cars, their statement of just bring a $500 is a joke. At least most of the race cars ran in EC class....how is an e30 with M50/s50 engine, custom valved Bilsteins, H&R springs, camber plates a $500 car? I think they got a $50 engine swap penalty...last 2 times I have run Chump my drivers want to know why the car is so high compared to the other cars...cant cut rear springs on e30. Not sure if I am going to run Charlotte in the Milano or just put it up for sale. Where are all the peugeots, chevette's and fairmonts???

Al
post #73 of 348 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSef View Post
So how did it go?

BTW, I have been running the spider calipers on my Milano and the GTV6 and did some work to figure out the bleeding situation. It confirmed what I had thought. It is nearly impossible to get all the air out of these calipers when they are mounted on a transaxle car. And contrary to conventional Alfa Lore jacking up the rear of the car is opposite what makes it better.

1st solution for bleeding out air is to either use brand new pads so that the pistons are all the way back. Or even better make a set of shims to replace pads that push the pistons back all that they physically can.

2nd is to jack the front of the car way up, that puts the bleeder hole in the caliper bore closer to 12 O'clock rather than 10 O'clock where it is when on a transaxle.
Wrt Wes, the car was **** fast. Until all that HP started stressing things in the transaxle, half shafts, ...

Wrt your Spider brakes, we are running them on our Milano. With the bleeder at 10:00 (car level), isn't it still at the highest point in the caliper? We have not had any rear bleeding problems on our Milano, and we bleed them on the lift where the car is flat.

Interested to see what you come up with for a bias valve. Our brakes seem fine, but we don't wear our rear pads at the same rate we wear out fronts.

Have you tried vented rear rotors? We have had ZERO rear brake and transaxle problems since we installed vented rear rotors.

bs
post #74 of 348 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 PM

regarding vented rears, do BMW 635 rear calipers work or do you just add spacers to spider calipers?

Al
post #75 of 348 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavman25 View Post
regarding vented rears, do BMW 635 rear calipers work or do you just add spacers to spider calipers?
I couldn't tell you if the BMW calipers work or not, we are using Spider calipers with spacers.

bs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode