Old Alfa Racer Pics from So. West Div. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Old Alfa Racer Pics from So. West Div.

These were taken in 1971-72 at College Station Texas. Texas International Speedway.
Thanks to Dan Green For converting them to digital and my first wife for releasing the pics

The first pic is of my Duetto next to another EP 101 1600 Alfa that I can`t recall who owned it. But I believe it is the bearded fellow in the lower pic with Joe. The 1st 2nd and last pic were taken on National race weekend in 1972.

In the second pic is Joe Loccario, a real mentor to me. I`m the skinny nerdy one

The third & fourth pics are grid pics from TIS in `71. Catch the 904!

The Last Pic is Joe Loccario and the fellow I believe to be the owner of the Giulia EP car. Maybe one of you can ID him or the car....
Anyone know where my old race car might be now?
Attached Images

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 01-30-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM

Richard,

Nice pictures, I like seeing how people and appearances have changed over the years. As far as tracking down your old car, if you still now the VIN, you might have some luck finding where it is now.

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD
post #3 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

Cool

Duettos in race prep looked very cool.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Richard STILL has a winning smile!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #5 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:41 PM

Richard, I was only 7 or 8 when those pictures were taken, but I remember racing at College Station about that time. My Dad raced a G-Production Giulietta there around '73-'75. I remember watching Joe race a Showroom Stock B Alfetta in the mid-70's as well. If I recall correctly, he raced competitively well into his 70's.

Erik
post #6 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Very old Texas Racers

Quote:
I remember racing at College Station about that time. My Dad raced a G-Production Giulietta there around '73-'75. I remember watching Joe race a Showroom Stock B Alfetta in the mid-70's as well. If I recall correctly, he raced competitively well into his 70's.
There are a few more pics that Danyl is working on, one is of a Gold or Yellowish Giulietta that again I can`t recall the owner, but he loaned me rain tires & rims for a wet race before I had rain tires.
Here are a few more, a good one of Joe & wife in our paddoc, the first ex-wife, and the young carmugeon. That`s Joe`s # 35 DP Alfa 1750 Spider in the background of the 2nd pic.
Some of these I hate to post
Attached Images

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #7 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
There are a few more pics that Danyl is working on, one is of a Gold or Yellowish Giulietta that again I can`t recall the owner, but he loaned me rain tires & rims for a wet race before I had rain tires.
:
Richard, if the gold Giulietta was #57, it was probably my Dad's. I'm pretty sure this one is from Ponca City, OK.

Erik
Attached Images

post #8 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Old Pics

Corvairs sure get no respect!
I will nudge Dan to convert some more of the pics inc. the Giulietta. There are pics from Ponca , Dallas, Memphis, Lake Charles, Rd. Atlanta, Sebring, Lakeland, Daytona, that Beth has not "parceled out" as of yet. It had taken 32 years to begin to get any of these so I`m being nice. Do you understand how hard that is. For Me
Actually she is a true sweetheart

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 01-22-2009 at 10:05 AM.
post #9 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM

Fantastic old pics. Keep em coming.
post #10 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 PM

LOVE the pics. Keep on bringing! I was barely a couple of years old, but there's something about the 70's that makes me wish I was my parents age back then. Those were the good ol' days

Brian (alias BlueSpider) w/o an Alfa at the moment, sadly.
Formerly: 1988 Spider Veloce - SOLD, 1973 GTV (restoration project) - SOLD
post #11 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Early Texas In the Rain

In the Rain in 1971 or so, and again during the San Jacinto Region`s National Race in 1972 that I won on someone else`s rain( mud) tires at College Station .
Attached Images

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #12 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Garage
All predate me. I raced at TWS in 1983, 84, 85. Formula Vee. I am trying to remember some of the Alfa guys from then. Bob Fernald from Austin was around then but I don't know anything about the 70's or if he was around then.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
post #13 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 06:05 AM

Garage
Thanks for posting these pics. They're inspirational to me as I'm having built a Duetto racer from the ground up.

Did you ever think that old race car of yours would ever be such a rarity in the future? You hardly ever see Duetto racecars.

So how does a Duetto fare against a similarly prepped GTV? Is the Duetto's shorter wheelbase a liability?

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
post #14 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:39 AM

Nader, I think you were addressing your question to Richard. But since I race a GTV against Duettos, I'll take a crack at it! Theoretically, you could argue that a spider should be faster because it has less frontal area, and perhaps a lower center of gravity. But my experience is that similiarly prepared cars are VERY similar in performance. Mike Besic raced his 1750 GTV for years before I bought it. He then switched to a 1750 round tail. His performance (which is impressive), wasn't much different than it had been before.

One thing to check with your local organization is what weight each would need to race at. A spider prepared to D-Prod may be allowed to weigh significantly less than a GTV prepared to B-Sedan.

Erik
post #15 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Duettos back in the day,

They were rarely seen as race cars. Particularly in the South, and SouthWest Region where I was racing. I started racing with this Duetto (it followed a Giulia Spider) when it came to me from California in 1968 as a "Red October". Some catfish has driven it into a lake and submerged it completely. It was in perfect condition otherwise, and it took about 2 days of work with friends at a fire station with a low pressure hose to flush everything, Yes, everything, and had it running perfectly within a day. Best $500.00 ever spent on an Alfa. I drove it for a few months and decided it was going to be the race car!
About 1974 I built another DP 1750 Duetto (green) with wide steel fenders as tire rules had changed allowing 7 inch and cantilever tires. I think Danyl has a pic or two of the green car. I built the body for it as a street car before it became a race car as the EP car was still very good. It (the DP Duetto) was sold as I had enough on my plate.The EP Duetto got the fenders streched a bit as well. The pic below is at Rd America at Elkart Lake about 1975 with the streched fenders.

I just found the 2nd pic. If anyone can accurately identify where this pic was taken I`ll give you a cam of your choice!
Attached Images

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 01-30-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode