Old Alfa Racer Pics from So. West Div. - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 476 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

I can`t find a tag in the pic?

Quote:
By the way, I know Florida plates list the county now. But did they even have the county listed on them in the early 70's?
Florida tag`s ID`d the counties by size of population. Miami/Dade was 1, Pensacola was 9 etc.
Counties were not named. But I`m not that fast .

I forgot the pic was on the website.

Only Fair! Pick a Cam, there was no underhanded dealings!

But I just got an E-mail from Tom Turner who said he was there at Ponca City that weekend with his rented 'Austin Marina'(which I want to assume is/was a race car). I suppose he was not always into great cars

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 476 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Talking Poor "DICKIE"

Quote:
Richard-
The crowning moment of the Austin Marina was at the 1976 Twelve Hours of Sebring where it started 56th out of 65 cars and finished 27th overall. I'm in the Twelve Hours of Sebring History Book!
Austin Rover Online

I told him it could have only been worse had it been a Simca, but then I thought of the very pretty fast Simcas and thought I better clear that up and be certain you knew I meant the Simca`s we got here in the US! The ones that were like the Austin Marina How did you ever find someone to rent an Austin Marina for a race weekend?

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 02-02-2009 at 05:01 PM.
post #33 of 476 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
The first pic is of my Duetto next to another EP 101 1600 Alfa that I can`t recall who owned it. But I believe it is the bearded fellow in the lower pic with Joe. The 1st 2nd and last pic were taken on National race weekend in 1972.

Richard, I think the EP car in the photo is the Giulia Spider Veloce that Bob Fernald and a partner in Houston raced for many years. I think I recognize those fender flares. The car had a colorful history: it was bought new as a racer, was never a street car, and raced many years in SCCA.

Joe Locario was a great guy. He was also very patient when I would show up on Sunday afternoons when he was working on his GTA in his shop off OST in Houston. He put up with this kid (me) who asked endless questions about Alfas and he never once ran me off. If you were an enthusiast, even if you were young and a complete newbie, you were always welcome at his place.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 476 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
But I just got an E-mail from Tom Turner who said he was there at Ponca City that weekend with his rented 'Austin Marina'(which I want to assume is/was a race car). I suppose he was not always into great cars
Richard, when I couldn't affort to return for my second year of college, I sold my Spitfire for $1800 and bought a decent Marina for $125. Gave me no problems for a year, with the exception of a water pump. Damned parts jockey said he didn't have a pump for a Marina, and then argued with me when I said just give me one for a MGB! I much preferred the Marina to the Ford Granada that followed.

Erik
post #35 of 476 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I worked for Joe back in 1973 as the parts manager at SW Motors. Alfa, Triumph, and Citroen. I stayed about a year as a career in music lured me away, but ended up back in the imported auto parts biz anyway.

I thought I wanted to go racing, and asked Joe his advice. He said "get something slow". Several years later I ended up with a GP Giulietta Spider, but suddenly had to face the decision of a) race car b) airplanes, c) young women, figuring I could afford only two of the three.

I used to stop in and say hello to Joe, Ned, Frank, and Hank when I was in Houston. Lost track of them and SW motors, and have to assume time has taken them from us. Last I saw Joe he had given up the DP Spider and was driving showroom stock at Atlanta.

He's the only guy I ever knew that kept his racing habit away from work. At work it was work. You'd never know he had the racing jones.

Don

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #36 of 476 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Joe Loccario

Quote:
He put up with this kid (me) who asked endless questions about Alfas and he never once ran me off. If you were an enthusiast, even if you were young and a complete newbie, you were always welcome at his place.
Yep Jim , Obviously!
He was my first and only instructor at my drivers schools. I wish I could remember his wife`s name, but they became "track family" taking us "kids" under their wings and making sure we "knew the "ropes".
A Very nice pair! Again a picture of then!
Attached Images

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #37 of 476 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Talking Searching for John Barnes of Denver Colorado

I got an Email from Jeff Luser yesterday, which I will post below, it turns out it was his dad John that I sold the Duetto to in 1974.
The Alfa supposedly is in the care of John Barnes in Denver, Colo. Now to find him!
After all these years, that can`t be hard
Here`s Jeff`s email and pics if I can post them:

Quote:
Hi Richard
I came across your photo gallery and I recognized the 67 duetto spyder. My Dad (Larry Luser) bought this car and raced it. I don't know if he bought it form you, I thought he picked it up in Illinois. I do remember the front end was crashed when he bought it. In-fact the 2nd picture in your gallery is of the car as he owned it. The caption reads [taken around 1974 at Road Atlanta] this probably was form 74 but not at Road Atlanta. It was from State Fair Park in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Dad and I both raced the car and had lots of fun with it. He sold it when I was in college around 1983. I have attached some photos of the car as we owned it.

From the caption in your first photo, it sounds like you had this as a street car then turned it into a race car. Is that correct?

Just an FYI. The car is currently owned by John Barnes in Colorado. He has done a fantastic job of restoring it. John also has a beautiful Giulietta. Here is a like to John's web site, where he has some photos of both his Giuiletta and the 67 spyder.
Audio Unlimited

Well it was nice to find some history on the race car.
Thank You
Jeff Luser
Attached Images

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #38 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Did you get an answer on your pictures? I was actually at both of those events working as part of the SCCA tech crew. I will see if any of that group remembers anything.
post #39 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

New owner

I tried emailing and checked phone listings, but I was unsuccesful contacting John Barnes in Denver...
Rj

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #40 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 PM

Garage
John Barnes number is 303 691-3407. Don't remember if this is a work or home phone. I have not heard from him in a while. I know he is still around. I checked out a lightweight Sprint Veloce a few days back for another customer. The seller mentioned John's name. Owns Audio Unlimited, a high end ( very) audio supplier. As far as I know, John still owns the Duetto. Health problems have kept him from racing. I did some work/updating on it a few years ago. I am sure it has not been run since the work.

Last edited by hotlegs32; 07-24-2010 at 06:28 AM.
post #41 of 476 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

I'll follow this one.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #42 of 476 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 PM

What's with the Corvair's. There's another one in the lower picture of your last post Richard.

Curtis Wood

PS. Awsome Pics

[B]Curtis Wood[/B]
curtisATthiscrazygarageDOTcom
post #43 of 476 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

They were not "unsafe at any speed" and many period racers and tag-along watchers, that could not afford a 356 P car, drove them. Mine was a Turbo Monza, bought used. a NEAT car, with plenty of oil leaks. A late '60's college kids delight!

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #44 of 476 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 PM

I had a '62 Monza Spyder coupe in the mid '60's. This was one of the swing axel first series cars. The turbo made the car substantially faster than the normal fare Monzas and made a great sound. The swing-axels were tricky but an Empi compensating spring solved most of the problems. All told, it was an enjoyable car to own if you taught yourself how to install the fanbelt when it came off about every two or three months.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #45 of 476 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

But few cars have a fanbelt that makes a 90 degree turn, and is about three feet long! Overall a very interesting 'merican car!

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode