Old Alfa Racer Pics from So. West Div. - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 AM

Richard, for a cam, I'll take a wild guess! Lake Charles, Louisiana. How many more tries do I get?

Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

I'll give it a shot. In the background is THAT CORVAIR again. Silver this time. Try for the same track with the white Corvair tow car. Ah... pine trees too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #18 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Track guess....

Quote:
Richard, for a cam, I'll take a wild guess! Lake Charles, Louisiana. How many more tries do I get?
Eric:
Lets say 10 No multiple shots! need justification for your choice!
The highest elevation at Lake Charles was two Hay Bales on top of each other not counting the Tower!
But I`m really safe! Keep looking at the elevation though. Pine trees. It will through you off

Quote:
I'll give it a shot. In the background is THAT CORVAIR again. Silver this time. Try for the same track with the white Corvair tow car. Ah... pine trees too.
Gordon:
what do you need a cam for? you have a bunch that I made
You just collect stuff, you don`t drive them The nice Ferrari and Alfa are all gummed up from sitting.
Anyhow: Wrong and you didn`t name the track anyway!

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 02:18 PM

I like camz. I send 'um to the CAMMASTER and he grinds 'um up. Sorta like sharpening pencils. Do we get multiple guesses? You didn't answer. There used to be some pine trees at Road America. I tried to drive into them once.

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #20 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
There used to be some pine trees at Road America.
OK, that`s 3 wrong Answers

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #21 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 06:38 PM

Old Racers (and engine builders.)

I get 10? Humm.... Elevation... Rocks..... Pine trees..... Corvair..... Gremlin...... In the south..... Dirt not red like Atlanta... Wait a minute, Florida's flat. That leaves maybe Dallas or Memphis.... Too hot in Dallas for how everyones dressed. How about Memphis?

Ok, now where was I in that gummed up Ferrari when I won this one?
You get a giant box of plastic peanuts if you can guess.
Hint: This was when my wife banned me from this activity.
Attached Images

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #22 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Hmmmm...

OK. My turn...
The number.... on your car..# 65.
Let me guess. The maximum speed you were allowed to drive it by either: your insurance agent (1) or your wife(2)
I think I am going with 12.
Rj

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #23 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:24 PM

No no! My race # was 64. Always had # 64. But that day someone else was assigned 64. Since the car was a 65. I chose that. Same as my IQ.
But ... wait? Did I win? Memphis, right?

Gordon Raymond
Now:
post #24 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Thumbs up We Have Real Friends On The Bb

I hope Eric doesn`t mind that I assembled this from our PM`s but it just shows what is out there Now if I can copy that picture of her butt, maybe I can twist a few more of mine/ours from her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7
Eric,
Do you know when the picture was taken of your dad`s car & you guy`s on the Corvair in that post on 1-21??
My last race there was in `74 so I wouldn`t have been there later.
But I keep seeing that girl in shorts, and if that isn`t Beth`s (Dash One) butt I`m loosing it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericwood
Richard, the gold car burned in a house fire in the Fall of '76, so it had to have been before that. I'm not sure if Dad raced that year, so most likely it was '75 or before. Based on my size in the picture, it was probably '74 or '75. In the summer of '74, I would have just turned 9. I was a really big kid, but I'm guessing I couldn't have been younger than 9 in that picture.

If you look closely, the girl in the shorts is walking next to a dark-haired guy in jeans. Might be you? You can pull the pic off of Curtis' web site and blow it up for a better look. ThisCrazyGarage.com

I'm still thinking about your mystery track picture. Not sure which tracks you travelled to. Doesn't appear to be an airport course. Looks more like a park. Maybe Lake Afton or Lake Garnett. Don't think it could be Wentzville. As you can tell, the tracks I remember are all in the midwest.

Erik
QUOTE=genericwood]Cool! I wish my Dad was still around to enjoy the memories. The world is very small. A few years ago, I contacted Tom Turner to inquire about a race car he had for sale. In the conversation, he mentioned that he had lived in Kansas when he began racing. We later realized that he had helped my Dad pull an engine under a tree limb at Ponca City after a broken rod had holed the block! It might have been the same weekend that the picture was taken!

Erik

"Is this the "Don`t Call Me Dickie" Tom Turner who`s discription of his parked car at Roebling was an "Electrical Problem" because the #4 rod took off the starter?
RJ"
Quote:
The very same. In the case of my Dad's car at Ponca, we didn't have a spare engine. But we did have a spare rod. So the motor was pulled, and a Coke can was sacrificed to cover the hole. It was pop riveted and epoxied, and car was raced the next day! You could still read "Coca Co" on the side of the block.

By the way, I was in Wentzville a couple months ago for one of my son's football games. MAR is now a big subdivision. Not sure if you have seen the book "ghost tracks". But you might enjoy it. It was written by the SCCA historian and includes write-ups on a bunch of the old tracks that no longer exist.

Erik
Originally Posted by Alfar7
The world is too small!, It was Ponca City, in `72, and although I`m cut off, it appears to be me & Beth walking past your dad`s Alfa, and it was his wheels & rain tires I was on in the pic in the muddy car race in the college Sta. Pic! First National win for me in the wet.
Wow!

But what is more important, is that the pics unlock a wealth of seamingly lost information and memories since the accident in 2003. Like a back entrance into a warehouse!
I had totally no recollection of racing at MAR until you mentioned Wentzville.
Thanks
Richard
Quote:
Cool! I wish my Dad was still around to enjoy the memories. The world is very small. A few years ago, I contacted Tom Turner to inquire about a race car he had for sale. In the conversation, he mentioned that he had lived in Kansas when he began racing. We later realized that he had helped my Dad pull an engine under a tree limb at Ponca City after a broken rod had holed the block! It might have been the same weekend that the picture was taken!

Erik

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #25 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
I hope Eric doesn`t mind that I assembled this from our PM`s but it just shows what is out there Now if I can copy that picture of her butt, maybe I can twist a few more of mine/ours from her!Richard
I don't mind, Richard. I don't know Beth, but I'm guessing she might not mind having the world see her butt from 35 years ago. Now, if you had a more current picture, you might be able to get all your pictures released!

Erik
post #26 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 08:11 PM

Garage
Well Richard if no one's guessed it yet, is it Hallett?

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
post #27 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 05:27 AM

Okay, Richard. Here's my final guess on the track. I had to use some image restoration software to see it. But the VW Bug in the background has Polk County, Florida plates. So I'm going to guess this was from the early 70's at the Lakeland track. Supporting evidence is the sandy soil and berms in the background. The pines are a distraction, I will admit.

Erik
post #28 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Unhappy What? A Winner? No Way??

Quote:
Okay, Richard. Here's my final guess on the track. I had to use some image restoration software to see it. But the VW Bug in the background has Polk County, Florida plates. So I'm going to guess this was from the early 70's at the Lakeland track. Supporting evidence is the sandy soil and berms in the background. The pines are a distraction, I will admit.
What
Technology
I couldn`t see that!!!
Ahhhh Man, I just new I had this one covered.

The "Sandy Soil" is an understatement
The Track was a combination of an oval and Drag Strip. And there was always plenty of sand, particularly in the braking zone for the oval. I Changed bearings in a service station that loaned me their lift overnight (places were friendly to racers in little Florida towns back then). Even the Fla. State Troopers were nice to us back then
Well, anyway I`m glad you won! I have several here. If they are not something that is exactly what you need, Just send a core to Debbie Jemison
at WebCam and we will make what ever blows up your skirt.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #29 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
What
Technology
I couldn`t see that!!!
Ahhhh Man, I just new I had this one covered.
Got ya, Richard There was no technology involved. I just looked at the exact same picture on your web site. It was labeled as Lakeland, Florida! HA! Since I cheated, I can't accept the prize. However, some time, I do need to speak with you about trying some new cams for my race engine.

By the way, I know Florida plates list the county now. But did they even have the county listed on them in the early 70's?

Erik
post #30 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:04 AM

Still EXCELLENT work! I never would have figured that one out! (I did, however, get the digital tuner on one of our TV's to work!)

Gordon Raymond
Now:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode