Advice-> Head liner leather or origianal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Advice-> Head liner leather or origianal

Hello I have removed the headliner out of my car because it was sagging and touching my head if my seat was in the upright position.

Anyhow the cloth is soaking and going to be cleaned and the board will be cleaned shortly.

Now should I go with black leather or put the original back in? Its black as well and in good shape.

What a delema thats my biggest concern for the day is life grand!

PS I can spell original

Thanks

[COLOR="blue"]1988 Alfa Milano Verde [/COLOR]
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost always wanted twin turbo's but in my ALFA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 AM

Garage
hey buddy im in the process of retrimming my headlining also, and Ive come to the conclusion that it is better to use vinyl rather than leather, mainly because its easier to shape, cheaper and will last longer when subjected to lots of heat in the summer (I live in Australia remember lol). Plus, unless someone touches it or smells it, you wouldnt notice its vinyl anyway...

i cavalli mai abbastanza, ed il peso sempre troppo...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

You bring up a good point the heat thats why this was sagging it came from South Carolina. Now in Ontario I dont think heat will be a problem since the car stays in my garage.

As for the leather vs vinyl hmm my ego gets me on that one so I'm leaning towards leather. So when I do the seats they will match better.

My concern is if i should keep it original since the car has original paint etc...

But then again I can keep the old head liner just in case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:29 AM

Just get new regular headliner fabric. It is really lightweight and has a foam backing. The reason it falls down is that the foam decomposes on the back and the fabric falls off of it. I put a new headliner in my old shelby charger and it was pretty easy.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Well that makes a lot of sense the foam backing falls apart.

No sense keeping the old material now that its clean with no foam.

I just cleaned the mounting platform and I just have to bring it to a place close by.

I'll see what the cost is for leather vs cloth vs vinyl and the pros and cons of all.

I used to laminate kitchen cabinets and counter tops in high end homes almost tempted to do this myself.

Thanks

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA-75-MAN View Post
No sense keeping the old material now that its clean with no foam.
Hold off throwing it out just yet. Even though it's pointless to reuse it (you're reupholstering the interior, you don't need to worry about originality now ), you can use it as a perfect template for whatever material you selection.

I redid my headliner a few years ago with new headliner material I picked up from a Foam and Rubber store who also carried automotive materials. It looked similar to the original and had the foam backing. I believe it cost me about ~$30 for enough to cover the whole board.

So keep in mind if you go the leather/vinyl route, you'll also need a thin piece of foam to go underneath it all. Fabric will be cheaper and easier, leather could look nicer if you continue with your plans.

Edit: Oh and if you've got the time, definitely do it yourself. It's not that hard. You might need a second pair of hands to help you out, but aside from that it's pretty easy. If you just go slow around the raised sections for the interior light and switch panel to avoid creases, it should come out nicely. I find I appreciate the car more when I've done the work myself.

ROCK ON
R~R

Last edited by Rookie ROX; 07-15-2008 at 05:12 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 05:19 PM

Garage
as above, although you dont necessarily need to use foam underneath the leather or vinyl if you dont want to... Here in Australia, there is a model Commodore that is notorious for its sagging roof, so when I went to retrim the headlining, I made sure the board was entirely flat and smooth, then just stuck the material straight on. After 2 years of having that car, the headlining was as perfect as the day I first put it on. As for originality, who cares, its a Milano! Have fun and make it how you like it, not how some purist would want it to be...

i cavalli mai abbastanza, ed il peso sempre troppo...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

You know I get a chuckle when I see wire ties holding together the wiring for the lights. They never cut the ends off and the use of electrical tape is really funny.

So why worry about originality anything I do will be an improvement if fact i even looked at Carbon Fibre interesting. But black leather is winning thus far.

Thanks

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

The winner is?

Carbon Fibre headliner board solid piece made from a mold ready in a month or so he cant start it till three weeks time. Good things come to those who pay through the nose. Dont ask!!

Never have to worry about it sagging.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:33 PM

Just had my headlining done professionally. Photos after just picking it up. Well chuffed.

I took the lining out myself, cleaned off all the old foam and glue.

Then after looking the the sunroof, I came to the conclusion I’d probably spend £100 on headlining..... then [email protected] it up.

He also fixed the scraping sunroof that was catching inside and outside.
Attached Images

1989 Alfa 75 3.0V6 America - 1971 Alfa Giulia 1300 GT Junior - 1989 Alfa 75 3.0V6 Veloce - 2016 Merc C220 Estate - 2010 Volvo XC60 D5 Polestar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode