Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Milano Automatic Speedo Sender

3K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  lgbalfa 
#1 ·
I've been searching unsuccessfully for a speedo sender to fit an 88 Automatic. I've been told variously that it's the same as an early GTV6, same as automatic Sport Sedan, or that it's same as manual Milano. Since I haven't been able to locate any available, I'm hoping to get a consensus of opinion on here as to which is actually correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
I don't have the microfiche. I tried eper but my link was corrupted. The automatic leveling on this car was replaced sometime in the past, even though car only has 66k. It's set up with Koni reds.

#4 ·
Speedo sender is two stage mechanical & electrical

Hi John

Here are two screen captures from the Microfiche. Looks like the speedometer generator is a two piece affair. There a mechanical sender with a gear on the end of it that connects with a gear in the transmission. Sitting on top of that is a electronic device that turns the mechanical device into a electronic signal.

More to the point is your speedometer not working?

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. I assume 60522171 generator is what I'm looking for. My speedo works intermittently, about 80% of the time. The head has been tested and found good so I'm told. I've also been told that since the car doesn't have the amplifier under the rear seat that it uses the earlier GTV6 sender. I'm still trying to confirm that's the unicorn I'm hunting.

#6 ·
Alfa Publication 4044 Automatic Milano

So along with the Microfiche. There is publication "4044" which details the changes made to a Milano to make it an Auto Milano. It's a pretty brief book. So I strongly suspect that under your rear seat cushion is the standard Milano amplifier. So lift up that seat cushion and take a picture. Here are the chapters covering the speedometer and the gearbox.

Bye

Attachments

#9 ·
The microfiche is correct. That is the Alfetta and early GTV6 sender. The late GTV6 and manual transmission Milanos have a larger diameter sender with 3 wires. These Milano senders have the under seat amplifier whereas the rarer late GTV6 senders do not have the amplifier. I was not aware that the automatic transaxles retained the Alfetta sender before this thread.

#13 ·
Early GTV6 senders are not that difficult to find. Unfortunately I sold the one I had a couple months ago. APE is a good suggestion. Rob - racingswim is another who might be able to help. Planetmojo is another. Glad you don't need to ask for an automatic Milano specific part.

Mark

#16 · (Edited)
At last I got around to replacing the speedo sender on my 88 automatic. Took the car on a half hour drive and the speedometer worked the whole time! No more intermittent readings. Thanks to everyone on here who chimed in with advice. BTW part number is 60522171 if you can find one.

Reactions: alfaparticle
#17 ·
Glad you got it going John - always good to hear the end of the story (although it usually is the beginning of another) :)

#18 ·
Thanks Mark for the words of encouragement and your help with the ARC. Such a simple repair for the speedo, but what a search for the part! Of course now there's a NOS one for sale here on BB. Now I'm going to search for a driver side foglight; wish me luck.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.