Starting long term garaged 3.0 V6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Starting long term garaged 3.0 V6

Hi All.

I’ve just returned to the forum after about 8 years. (Formerly “new alfa75 owne” but that username wont let me log in). In any case, my Alfa has been in the garage and not started for about 7-8 years. There wasn’t much wrong with the car when I garaged it, just had an electrical issue that I sorted after buying a new car. I’ve been thinking about getting it back on the road but after some advice on what steps I should take before starting it. People have said to pull the plugs and crank over by hand but not keen on taking all the plugs out of it can be avoided. Timing belt was relatively new when garaged but I would imagine the rubber belt would have weathered a bit.

I really just want to see if it will start or if sitting has caused any major issues. If it will run with little effort, I’ll invest in getting it on the road but otherwise I would probably just sell/scrap as is.

Thanks for any advice.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

Don't scrap an intact Milano

Hey Brian

Welcome back to the AlfaBB. Where are you located?

I'm a little confused by your post you say
"... People have said to pull the plugs and crank over by hand but not keen on taking all the plugs out of it can be avoided. ..."

Well there's only six plugs, so I don't understand your reluctance. At a minimum you need to pull all the plugs, pour a little oil into each cylinder and turn it over by hand before using the starter.

I've revived a number of Alfas from multi year sleeps, and it's always been an involved process.

"... If it will run with little effort, I’ll invest in getting it on the road but otherwise I would probably just sell/scrap as is. ..."

Please don't scrap an intact Milano that just needs some TLC. If you don't want to get it running sell it to somebody who will.

Hope this was helpful.
alfabeach and SamW like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:40 AM

Garage
If stored well for 7-8 years then check all the fluids (including gas - add fresh), charge the battery and fire it up. If stored outside in a field, then a lot more involved.

Assuming first state, T-belt should be OK for start up and easy runs. Change it out for more serious driving.

If you are planning to sell, it will be worth more running. Or in the case of a Milano - some one may actually buy it if it is running. Non-running Milanos are near worthless even now. If you are planning to scrap it, then no harm if you try to start it right?

Getting it on the road will likely require some effort. Alfa's don't like to sit. Brakes, drive line, fuel, electrical all have to be brought back to "awake" status. If you have reasonable mechanical aptitude, this might even be fun

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I agree with Mark. Check the fluids, put a little fresh gas in with the old gas, make sure the oil is good.

But check the fuel lines in the engine bay for cracks before firing up. I just bought a crispy GTV6 cheap because the owner didn't.

We also love photos here, degenerates that we are.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1984 GTV6, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 97 164LS
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to be responsible and do the full fluid change and spark plug removal with hand crank before starting.

Im in Australia so its an Alfa75 for us. Ive tried to attach a couple of photos now that it has been towed to my house and has had a hose down.
Attached Images

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:55 AM

Nice looking 75! Looks very, very far from the scrap heap to me.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:36 PM

Wow, that's a rare thing. A RHD 75 3.0V6 in good nick. Looks nice!

Along with the suggestions above, given that it has sat for 7-8 years I'm going to emphasize what @Mark_toro suggested regarding fuel: remove the fuel from the tank before starting it. After sitting that long, you will most likely have separation in the petrol and you would save yourself a lot of work by replacing the old petrol with a fresh gallon or two.

It's almost trivial to drain the tank ... the inlet to the fuel pump in (rear passenger side for you, under the floorboards) is directly from the tank. Remove the clamp and pull the hose off the fuel pump and drain the fluid into a container.

Replace the old petrol with a small amount (1-2 gallons, or 2-4 litres) of fresh petrol.

Then, with the ignition on, move (and hold) the flap in the Air Flow Meter (AFM) and you will hear the fuel pump turn on, pushing fresh fuel through all the necessary hoses. This will also be a good time to see if any of the old hoses need to be replaced. You will be testing your fuel system without a running engine and hot exhaust.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

Here's another vote for getting it running, such fun cars to drive. (Lately I've had to wrestle with whether to keep my '87 gold and fix the various problems, or not.)

Do check, as Nizam says, the fuel lines, especially the short high-pressure lines from the fuel rails. Not fun if they spring a leak, which mine did without warning a few years ago.

good luck!

//dj
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Hi All,

I'm starting to source the oils, filters etc but im getting conflicting advice on oil filters from Repco. Can anyone advise? Currently i've got a Ryco Z89A but Repco are quoting a Z723 and advising that the Z89A was only for the 2.5L GTV6. Ryco website indicates the z723 for the 3.0i and the Z89A for the 3.0. Can anyone confirm which I should be going for?

Thanks,

Brian
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 04:21 PM

Oil filters are all the same. The only difference is the outside diameter. I usually use the smaller diamater filters since they are easier to put on and off.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 04:43 PM

Garage
Nice car! Definitely put the time in to save her.

Jeff

1987 Alfa Romeo Milano
1985 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Hi all,

So I spent this long weekend going through the process changing all the fluids, cranking over by hand and was turning over ok. Then came time to turn the key. Starter engaged and cranked over a few times. Then it started to fire. Then, nothing. Now when i try to start (after re-charging the battery), it shakes a bit and cranks what seems to be very slightly, maybe a quarter turn of a crank, then shakes and stops.

Is it possible the timing belt skipped a few teeth and its now seized? or possible the starter has crapped out?

Thanks all.

Brian

Brian.
Alfa 75, 3.0 V6
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 07:48 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hi there, probably best to take the plugs out and turn it over by hand. When taking the plugs out remember is really important to make sure there is no sand, grit, crud down there that will fall into the combustion chamber when the plug is removed. Usually a little blast of air is all it takes. Nice looking car, hope it goes smoothly for you.

Cheers,

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

New development.

Took the plugs out and turned it over. Turns over ok manually. Turn the key, it tries to crank then all power is lost and have to pull the negative off the battery and reconnect to get power back.

Thoughts are either a stuck relay, or a computer issue. but never come across anything like this before. Could the starter be overloading something?

Thanks all.

B

Brian.
Alfa 75, 3.0 V6
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 04:25 AM

Battery terminal

Have you tried cleaning the inside of the negative battery terminal? I have had these exact symptoms from corrosion inside the terminal.

Al Mitchell
GTV6 #82 EP, Milano Verde #83 ITS
GTV6s: '84 x2, '86 x2
Milanos: Verde, Plat x2, Gold.
Alfettas: '79 GT x2
'74 Spider
Current functioning to nonfunctioning ratio: 7/6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode