Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Ignition Wire Clips

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Mark_toro 
#1 ·
Graham's been pretty busy working on Maserati stuff but I thought I'd share a project he has for V6 Alfas that might be of interest to a lot of you. Reproduction ignition wire clips! These seem to be missing at best, broken more often than not. As these cars get older the supply of junkyard parts is slowly drying up, especially delicate plastic bits. It's great to have enthusiasts working on reproductions.

https://www.blythbrosdesign.com/product/alfa-romeo-busso-v6-timing-belt-cover-ignition-wire-clip/

#6 ·
Thanks Xander for sharing - it's my site.

With SLS (selective laser sintering), and really any manufacturing process, a group buy reduces the price of a part from, say, $100 a piece to $20 per piece. The typical home 3D printing machine can make a nice, functional part, but the SLS gets you much closer to the original injection molded finish.

Funding goal of $1000, viewed another way, is 50 buyers of a $20 part. Or, since there are two per engine, it's really close to 25 buyers at 2x$20. Less ambitious when viewed that way.

#8 · (Edited)
" but the SLS gets you much closer to the original injection molded finish"

True, but in this case, being just a minor part sitting on the engine, I'm not too sure just how important final finish might be to the majority of potential purchasers. I for one might not care, depending of course on just how ragged the less expensive finish really is. For those of us who are not purists, the finish would have to be pretty bad, and a little sandpaper and paint might take care of most of it anyway.

#9 ·
These are well overdue on the market. Glad someone is generous enough to take the time to design these and offer them to the BB folks. The price seems way cheaper than a NOS would go for, as someone else has said. Even the cheapest, most irritating Milano owner might even pay up!

Thank you, Graham. I imagine that nearly every single GTV6 and Milano that still exists needs these clips. I might need about 6 sets...I'll bring beer.

#12 ·
".... Even the cheapest, most irritating Milano owner might even pay up!...."

I don't get it?? (sarcasm intended) ;)

This 3D part stuff is awesome. Have a buddy who does stainless binder printing, then sinter. Turns out a solid stainless part from a CAD file. Not inexpensive, but a great path to a functional part from a scan or CAD model. Our cars should be infinite now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.