Ignition Wire Clips - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By 75Tickspark
  • 2 Post By Milanoguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ignition Wire Clips

Graham's been pretty busy working on Maserati stuff but I thought I'd share a project he has for V6 Alfas that might be of interest to a lot of you. Reproduction ignition wire clips! These seem to be missing at best, broken more often than not. As these cars get older the supply of junkyard parts is slowly drying up, especially delicate plastic bits. It's great to have enthusiasts working on reproductions.

https://www.blythbrosdesign.com/prod...ion-wire-clip/

Alfas: '88 Milano Platinum, '85 GTV6, Also Saabs and Mopars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:03 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Who is Graham?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:02 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Good idea about those clips. The ones in my cars are ok, but might buy a couple of spares, depending on the cost.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Why not simply 3D print it on demand, instead of waiting for a rather ambitious funding goal to be met
sptsdn and Del like this.

Restoring a 75 TS aka the tickspark.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

It's what others have done with other Alfa parts, such as the Milano outside door handle gaskets. Bought a set of those at not much cost for my spare parts stash.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Tickspark View Post
Why not simply 3D print it on demand, instead of waiting for a rather ambitious funding goal to be met
Thanks Xander for sharing - it's my site.

With SLS (selective laser sintering), and really any manufacturing process, a group buy reduces the price of a part from, say, $100 a piece to $20 per piece. The typical home 3D printing machine can make a nice, functional part, but the SLS gets you much closer to the original injection molded finish.

Funding goal of $1000, viewed another way, is 50 buyers of a $20 part. Or, since there are two per engine, it's really close to 25 buyers at 2x$20. Less ambitious when viewed that way.

Graham
88 Milano Verde, 13 500 Abarth, 04 Used Maserati Coupe GT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Gold Subscriber

Well I'm for four pieces so a total of $80. You're not going to find a NOS set anywhere for $20 each.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

" but the SLS gets you much closer to the original injection molded finish"

True, but in this case, being just a minor part sitting on the engine, I'm not too sure just how important final finish might be to the majority of potential purchasers. I for one might not care, depending of course on just how ragged the less expensive finish really is. For those of us who are not purists, the finish would have to be pretty bad, and a little sandpaper and paint might take care of most of it anyway.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Last edited by Del; 07-16-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:45 AM

These are well overdue on the market. Glad someone is generous enough to take the time to design these and offer them to the BB folks. The price seems way cheaper than a NOS would go for, as someone else has said. Even the cheapest, most irritating Milano owner might even pay up!

Thank you, Graham. I imagine that nearly every single GTV6 and Milano that still exists needs these clips. I might need about 6 sets...I'll bring beer.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Gold Subscriber

Rob

".... Even the cheapest, most irritating Milano owner might even pay up!...."

I resemble that remark.
Ciao
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milanoguy View Post
Rob

I resemble that remark.
Ciao
So do I!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:47 AM

Garage

I don't get it?? (sarcasm intended)

This 3D part stuff is awesome. Have a buddy who does stainless binder printing, then sinter. Turns out a solid stainless part from a CAD file. Not inexpensive, but a great path to a functional part from a scan or CAD model. Our cars should be infinite now!

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode