Verde roof leak? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Verde roof leak?

We've had quite a bit of rain lately. During a unavoidable drive during a particularly heavy rain, I noticed a slow drip landing near/on my left leg/knee. It is not coming from the driver's side window, the weatherstripping and frame of the door were dry. It was wet higher up on the headliner trim directly above the door frame, maybe a two or three inch length.

So the question is, is the leak likely between the roof metal and the side metal(?) trim? There seems to be weatherstripping between these two. Sorry for the blurry picture below (left front mirror visible for reference). I was actually trying to focus the camera on the weatherstripping. All things being equal, I was going to load a syringe with black RTV and try to lay a small bead in the groove for the couple of inches where it does appear the weatherstripping is cut/compromised.
Is this consistent with your knowledge of the construction in this area? That is, can water leak in from this seam?

What dawned on me later, was that the leak could be coming from the sunroof. However I've never used it and the weatherstripping around the sunroof looks OK. And if the sunroof was indeed leaking, would it leak at the point described?

Thoughts?
Attached Images

'73 GTV - '78 Alfetta Sprint Veloce - '88 Milano Verde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
What dawned on me later, was that the leak could be coming from the sunroof. However I've never used it and the weatherstripping around the sunroof looks OK. And if the sunroof was indeed leaking, would it leak at the point described?

Thoughts?
The sunroof is the likely culprit. The weather stripping around the sunroof is not supposed to be water tight, there are actually channels inside the sunroof opening that go to drain tubes which are supposed to drain the area. Often, the tubes are clogged and/or the volume was simply too much for them to drain properly.

I have also seen leaks coming from the upper corners of the windshield weatherstripping, which is where water is forced by the wipers during heavy rain.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:58 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DOM!
Don't use compressed air to clean out the lines. I have had great luck using grass trimmer line to clean out the lines. The drain lines are at the front corners when you open the sunroof.

If you really feel an obstruction that doesn't clear with gentle push, go slow. Reconnecting the tubes involves dropping the headliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOM! 1987 Milano Verde 1983 GTV6
2017 VW GTI SE 2003 Ducati 999 1992 BMW K1100RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:41 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DOM!
Oh and also, check the tray in front of the windshield as well. Debris will also block the drains there and in heavy rains, water can come in through the ventilation system and you'll see water drip near your feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOM! 1987 Milano Verde 1983 GTV6
2017 VW GTI SE 2003 Ducati 999 1992 BMW K1100RS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Thank you gentlemen.

The smart money is on the sunroof. Very good. I will definitely check that the drains are clear. I've avoided using the sunroof in fear of 30+ yo plastic gear breakage. But we'll do what we will do.

But the problem is, I have never been a smart man. I can't help focusing on the drip cover molding as, the rubber/weatherstripping between the molding and roof frame is slightly fruggled (ripped/torn) right above where the leak is perceived. Strange that the image shows rubber sealing (2) outside of the molding (1) as there is definitely a rubber seal of sorts between the molding and the body. The latter is the one I've been referencing.

On to the drains . . . .

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dragline; 05-20-2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Numbered incorrectly
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:49 AM

Garage
I've had leakage from the trim around the windshield - also rust there. Headliner gets wet in front of the visors. Hoping to fix that this coming weekend!

I think the drip rail area you are looking at would not have a chance to let water into the car as you described. I believe that area is all outside of the door seals - barring rust.

Sunroof is the likely culprit.

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Clean the gutters! Behind the front tires to the front of the sunroof, just open it you'll see them Right and Left, Pipes run down from the sunroof to the bottom and are usually behind the riveted plates on the back side of tire wells. NO need to remove them. use a ground wire from an house electrical wire. The hose is plastic and clear. Most of the time you can do it from the top, but sometime you have to get underneath. They're there you'll see them.
Believe it or not I had to remove the Plate in the tire well cause it was purposely KINKED from the factory. So if you don't see the hose you may want to take the plate off?

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Update

So yesterday we went to town on the sunroof drains with the grass trimmer line. At first it seemed that the driver's side was block, but after several attempts, it seems that the stiffness of the line created difficulty in making an early sharp(er?) bend. Both seemed very clear, but only about a foot of line was fished down into the drains.

Thereafter I saw alfasrule's post. Today we went for broke and more that four feet of line was fished down each side with no restriction. The line could be fished no farther. Blockage or a sharp turn? I could not see where the drain exits the vehicle, even based on the detailed description. I'll take a better look tomorrow but further clarification would help. Do the drains exit on the back inner face of wheel well (did not see riveted plates), or should I be looking in the engine compartment around the windshield cowling?

Anyway, they appear to be clear most, if not all the way. Perhaps there is a blockage at the end of the drains.

The Owner's Manual states that there are four drains not just two. Hmmm.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:37 AM

Garage
Front and rear (2 each)

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:22 PM

Well...tip some water in and see what happens...
That should be telling, not only as to any blockage, but also as to where the drain pipes exit.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:52 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

If you have to pull out the roof card to investigate I don't remember it being very difficult on the Milano. Admittedly it was a car without a sunroof.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Looks like you got to go to the bottom. The lines are pretty straight. The pipes are located behind the fender well panels

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode