Alfa Romeo 75 (Milano) Speedometer Problem - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Alfa Romeo 75 (Milano) Speedometer Problem

Hi all,

I spend a lot of time on the Alfa Owner UK website, and have come up short with an issue I am having. I have read similar threads on here this week to help guide me through but I am coming up short and I am not able to match the exact symptoms. If anybody could give me a bit of guidance, and possible solutions perhaps, it would be most appreciated.

Issue
  • Speedometer needle Jumps clockwise to the highest speed/point on the speedometer dial
  • It jumps when you turn the key to position one
  • It stays in this position as the car runs after starting
  • There is a distinctive motor-like buzzing noise from the speedometer
  • No amount of hitting the top of the dash helps (I am quite gentle with the 75)

Thus far, I have had the cluster off the dash to check connections and I have cleaned each up. Nothing seemed untoward.

I have also had a look at the Jaeger Box that sits under the rear seats (mine is there). I disconnected connectors independently and this did not impact the speedometer issue above.

The car has started normally as recently as a few weeks ago. After that start, I had to re-torque the head in-line with the Workshop Manual post Head Gasket job, refit an alternator, and I have also done some front suspension work. This speedo issue arose after this was complete.

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Platinum Subscriber

It looks like the speedometer itself has gone bad. I would buy a used one and swap it out.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:27 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

I had this exact problem, it was a bad chip of some sort in the speedometer itself. A local shop was able to repair it.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the respective replies. At least it looks like it is something I have not done incorrectly.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:42 AM

What to look for if speedometer needle is not stable? It works, its accurate but it is hanging left and right, mostly in high speeds and accelerations.
Is the sender or the speedometer cluster or something in gearbox where the white sender reads? (I have a slight rattle sound on idle from gearbox).
Also I have to take of the needle to repair km counter. Maybe I have ruined something when I was fiddling with that? Don t know if the problem was before because I never drive it before on high speeds when problem is visible at most.

EDIT: problem solved _ dont know what the cause was but I have done 3 things. 1. Clean gearbox sender from oil deposits, 2. sort and clean sender conector, 3. repair km to 0 counter.

Last edited by tool75; 08-30-2019 at 04:51 AM. Reason: possible solutions of the problem
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Pointer touching something? static electricity?

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode