rear (and front) main seal oil leak - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

rear (and front) main seal oil leak

my Milano is testing my patience ... after a few minor annoying issues that I fixed, (fuel smell -
replaced all rubber hoses in the trunk, starter cable, trunk not opening, etc.) on a recent drive to work I noticed burned oil smell and white smoke coming from under the car. It also leaked a hefty - dinner plate sized puddle of oil. So it looks like not only did the front crank seal decide to spray oil over my pretty recent timing belt but the rear main seal (I assume) started to seriously leak and drip oil on the exhaust. Not quite sure what triggered both sides to quit - I didn't use a different oil nor changed the oil in the last few months but the car did sit for 2-3 months in the garage while I fixed a few things.
So is this an engine out job to do the front and rear seal or can this be done with engine in place? Doesn't look like the rear is doable with the engine in place?
I assume I will need an impact wrench for the front crank nut and rear? Best way to lock the engine from turning? Could the rear leak be anything other than the rear main seal?

thanks all
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

here are a few addtl. pics - sorry, pics are not the best and not sure why the alfabb randomly rotates some pictures 90 or 180 degrees ....
Attached Images

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 11:21 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

If the rear main seal is leaking and needs to be changed, it's an engine out job. Don't know about the front. Weird that both seals would start to leak at the same time.

You might try some of the high mileage oil with the seal expanding chemicals in it. The rear main seal in our 89 Milano has leaked for some time, but not really noticeable according to the dip stick, but it does leave a small puddle on the garage floor. I added a qt of the Valvoline(?) High Mileage oil, 20W-50, and it seems to have slowed if not stopped. I also know that it works for steering rack leaks (Lucas Steering Stopleak).

Otherwise...

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode