LSD plates - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 09:48 AM

hmmm
are the transaxel LSD's 1point 5way LSD, 2way or just the 1way?

Message me if any of my pictures are down and you would like them. Send me the topic link and I'll reupload them properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 02:03 PM

2 way .. not sure for 45 degree ramp angle
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 05:52 AM

The friction plates are P/N AE13-03 in the Bacci catalog. Make sure you stipulate: Diametro esterno lamelle frizione 76mm, as there have been shipping errors.
Jim K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 AM

Differences

JimK what are the differences if any from the Bacci and the original ZF LSD clutch discs. Bacci makes their own from what they told me.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 08:38 PM

Experience

Richard you seem to have a bit of experience what is you take of new LSD vs "rebuilding" used ones. Is the cost saving worth not getting new?
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 03:27 AM
Platinum Subscriber

L S D

GTV6PASSION,

You have initiated a great thread that has been expanded into specific details with information from some people having real world experience:

1. While there is nothing wrong with spending the $ for new discs, I think it is clear that two new discs in a stock setup will only produce the 21% lockup as specified for new cars. Your initial question has been highjacked into the topic of modifying LSD's for more lock up.

2. Jim K. has stated that new discs will wear faster than a LSD set up with used discs, but mentions the "pre-load" that can be acomplished by adding shims.

3. Richard Jemison recommends using an additional two discs and shims, but cautions against using pre load, and identifies undesirable consequences.

4. Richard also discussed the attractive lure of changing ramp angles, and advises against this.

Great stuff, everyone. Thanks...please keep the information flowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV6PASSION View Post
Richard you seem to have a bit of experience what is you take of new LSD vs "rebuilding" used ones. Is the cost saving worth not getting new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Bacci make their own friction plates and they do them in various sizes for different applications. I got 4 last week but they were too big, probably for some older BMW diff. I sent them back along with a used Alfa disk for reference and called them on the phone. Giulio said the big ones are what they use for Alfas but I very much doubt this, they probably just packed the wrong stuff. They also have something very clever which I have only seen in ZF BMW LSD's: flat plates shaped as conical springs for applying constant preload, used one per side, on the end of each clutch pack. With these, adjustment doesn't have to be so critical any more. I've also ordered 4 of them! They're the same price as the friction ones, less than 20€ each.
Back to your question, they said they can supply the same size as ZF so all is well, as this is what I want them for anyway.
Jim K.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Oh boy, the experts are coming through with more good information. Thanks.

Jim K: I had a discussion with Jim Steck last year, and he described the very kind of shallow conical LSD plate you mention. I remember him mentioning their use in some GM LSD differentials. I guess these are really "Belleville washers", which I know are used for many non-automotive applications (and are included in most spring force calculation programs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
...They also have something very clever which I have only seen in ZF BMW LSD's: flat plates shaped as conical springs for applying constant preload, used one per side, on the end of each clutch pack. With these, adjustment doesn't have to be so critical any more. I've also ordered 4 of them! They're the same price as the friction ones, less than 20€ each.
Back to your question, they said they can supply the same size as ZF so all is well, as this is what I want them for anyway.
Jim K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

Scuderia Non Originale

Last edited by conedriver; 04-10-2007 at 02:00 PM.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 PM

That's it!! I was looking for the exact name, thanks!
Jim K.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:47 AM

a little bit "off topic" but interesting question :

the recommanded oil for the transaxle / lsd is 75w90...

some suggest that a 75w140 "special lsd" (motul FF for exemple in europe) really improves the lifetime of the frictions plates , giving also a more postive gearchange, crucial subject for the alfa transaxle...

i'm thinking about switching for this oil on my 75 3.0 v6 quadrifoglio, but advices are welcome...

Last edited by Napoleon SOLO; 04-11-2007 at 12:51 AM.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 AM

gear oil

I am not sure if chaning to a different spec oil is a good joice.

here in europe the best öl you can get for your gearbox is the Castrol Taf-x
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:49 AM

a friend of mine is racing in rally an ex works 75 groupe A (2.5 V6):

he uses motul gear FF 75w140....
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Okey, so I opened the differential yesterday. Frankly speaking I can not say if my LSD discs are worn or not. If you guys could look at the photos and tell me what you think about them. I didn’t find any oil deposits on their surfaces and solvent washing which I applied haven’t changed their appearance much.

I found that thickness of the external blades and internal ones (LSD discs) is the same. So I don’t exactly understand the shimming issue. If I replace two external blades with two additional LSD discs, the total thickness of the setup will remain the same. So what is the reason for applying brass shim?

I discovered that AR 75 limited slip differential has one more external blade when compared to AR 105/115. The part has number 9 on the drawing and is on the right on the photo. Does it change anyhow the shimming issue?
Attached Images

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Tomasz,

Any additional shims are to increase the lockup of the LSD. This can be done with the original two plates, and also if you add two more plates. Also, the shim can be brass or steel. Variations are:

1. Two friction plates = original lockup from factory literature as 21% (until worn)
2. two friction plates and additional shims. Lockup depends upon shim thickness
3. Four friction plates= additional lockup, but this is fixed at whatever results from the additional plates.
4. Four friction plates and additional shims. lockup depends upon shim thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasz View Post
... So what is the reason for applying brass shim?

George Schweikle

Scuderia Non Originale
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Hello,

George thanks for explaining. Now I finally got it So to sum up, most of you suggest using two 0.01 - 0.02 inche brass shims, that can be easily cut form brass roll. They should have a shape of external blades and will give propper preload to the assembly. Right?

Does anyone have opinion on the lsd dics on my pictures? Are they worn or fine?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode