Verde Street, Track, & Restoration - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:33 PM

Garage
BUMP! How did the car turn out? Thinking about building a budget track car myself and this build post gave me a good starting point. The car looks great and the workmanship is truely wonderful as well. Best of luck!

Miguel S. ~
89 Milano Gold (daily driver), 87 Milano Silver (track car project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 03:14 PM

Any progress?
Attached Images

post #93 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know Where I can find coil spring insulators or know of a DIY type way.

I'm using the adjustable spring perches and springs from Perfomatek. I need something to keep from clanking around.

The inner spring diameter is 4.25 ID
outer spring diameter is 5" OD

The diameter of the insulator can be as big as 6" around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDmilano88 View Post
Anyone know Where I can find coil spring insulators or know of a DIY type way.

I'm using the adjustable spring perches and springs from Perfomatek. I need something to keep from clanking around.

The inner spring diameter is 4.25 ID
outer spring diameter is 5" OD

The diameter of the insulator can be as big as 6" around.
I couldn't find a diameter online, but W201 M-Bs use a spring pad that is available in various thicknesses (see part 8): FRONT SPRING. SPRINGS AND SUSPENSION,FRONT made by Mercedes Benz. #2013212004

You could find the W201 spring diameter online somewhere I'm sure.

Graham
88 Milano Verde, 13 500 Abarth, 04 Used Maserati Coupe GT
post #95 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Just a few things ive done while the weathers been too cold here in Maryland.
Havent had much to update lately, but getting back to it so you should be seeing more frequent updates.

Rear axles needed cleaned up. Boots seemed fine so i taped them off and cleaned up the ends and coated them. Hardware cleaned up and new bolts also.

Prepared the rear trunk space to be modified further for the new fuel system set up. Cant wait to weld in the whole new floor, then start making the brackets for the fuel cell. Basically, i just cant wait to redo the whole system because i always hated the factory nylon lines, (the pains of replacing them when theyre cracked and aged.)

Picked up this fuel cell for cheap, just cleaning it up.

Center support replacement. Driveshaft cleaned up

New rear wheel bearings in, hubs pressed together, and wheel test fitted with half inch spacer. Going to need to run adaptors in the rear to get what im achieving. Also, car isnt on the ground yet to get exact... still searching for specific coil spring insulators. The factory ones do not work with aftermarket springs. Still working on a few DIY ideas to test.

The red circles are the areas im looking for some kind of insulator so the spring isnt clanking around, any ideas? Performatek springs and adjustable perches.

Thats all for now....
post #96 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:08 PM

Good to see you're still going.

I presume the car isn't running yet? So are you are presuming the springs will 'clank' around?
They shouldn't rattle around unless your shocks are too short and you manage to unload the spring over some big bump or something.
I made a set of adjusters for the rear of mine to pass the roadworthy inspections [minimum height]. They don't rattle around.
post #97 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 AM
Duk

Garage
I made spacer/locators for my 5.5" springs on adjustable platforms. I machined them from 3/4" thick nylon chopping board.

Slowly Progressing Vortech Supercharged 1990 Alfa Romeo 75 Potenziata. Out of Action Twin-Charged 1988 AW11 MR2. Current Daily Driver, The Glorified Taxi 2006 BF FPV F6 Typhoon.
post #98 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Got a lot accomplished in the past week. As you seen from the preview post i was on the hunt for some coil spring isolators/ insulators whatever. Well I came up with a great idea by luck...

But first, i cleaned up my shifter assembly and regreased the pivot ball and painted it.

So on to the coil spring issue. I went to the hardware store hoping id fine something to make these isolators out of. One of the guys that works there was kind of a friend and was helping me. He suggested i flipped a plunger inside out... when i saw what he was talking about, i automatically knew it was going to work.

Plunger end, inside out, test fitted perfectly.

Didnt even think of this until i got under there and was about to figure out how to attach these to the body of the car, that the factory "bump stop" thing was there. Plunger stretched perfectly around it nice and tight.

After i figured that out, i had to make rubber pads for the spring perches. I also found these heavy duty rubber pads that i cut out. Those werent such an adventurous find though. I also put clear tubing around the bottom of the spring for protection.

We did a quick test fit after that and it worked but the rear needed to go lower. The adjuster was already bottomed out so we took it off completely. I must not have realized before that Performatek offers 2 different spring lengths, and i have the longer ones. No big deal, i was almost where i wanted to be. Since i wasnt using the threads i wanted to make a sleeve to protect them. Slid over perfectly. Not sure if i like the idea though, but we'll see.

Final test. Car has no weight in the back right now and brand new springs arent settled yet. Once everythings put back together ill worry about dialing in the ride height and fitment.

This Is an updated picture from earlier in my thread. The first picture was on stock torsion bars. Put those on and lowered it a little bit more. Finished the front suspension and everything and this ended up being the final ride in the front.

The next couple weeks i will be starting the fuel cell setup and body work. So should have tons of updates coming.
post #99 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

This week consisted of a few little things. The car is getting ready to go elsewhere for a little while for things to get done.

For now, main focus is to get the driveshaft back in so the car can begin to roll around. The watts link was the last thing in the rear suspension that I needed to attend to.
Some of you saw my for sale ad for some watts links, but within 24 hours i found a local solution.

Original ones seen better days. The bend was from the previous owner.

Local racecar shop here in Maryland makes all sorts of things. (if interested i can get these kits, PM if interested)

Put the pivot in metal bowl.
cooked the old bushing out.
sandblasted it

Painted it up and pressed the new bushing in.

Now, the shop only carries standard size heim joints so i changed the watts link ONLY to 1/2 sized bolts. Drilled out the pivot and the body attachments. (installed pics to come)

Modified some new hardware. Also slimmed down the heads of the bolts (not pictured) to not hit the DeDion.

Fixed up some spacers to take up the space, so happens they were 1/2 as well.

Installed on the car tonight and seems like its going to work great for a cheap project. Just needs adjusted.
post #100 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Unless the cars been hit hard in the rear you want to make those rods the same length exactly. Otherwise you will put steering in the rear. You can do a fancy string alignment if you want to check this.

I experienced this when my LeMons race car was hit hard in the rear and the de-Dion pickup point were shifted. It turned in and cornered really incredibly on left handers. It didn't want to turn right.

Greg

1972 Berlina Vintage Racer, 1987 Milano Platinum (LeMons Car), 1982 GTV6 EP Race Car, 1974 GTV Vintage Race Car, 2012 VW GTI stage II, 1966 Corvette Coupe 327-350, 2007 Triumph T100 Bonneville. Dearly departed: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider, 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1995 BMW 540i Sport, 2014 Audi A4 (swamped)
post #101 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:29 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSef View Post
Unless the cars been hit hard in the rear you want to make those rods the same length exactly. Otherwise you will put steering in the rear. You can do a fancy string alignment if you want to check this.

I experienced this when my LeMons race car was hit hard in the rear and the de-Dion pickup point were shifted. It turned in and cornered really incredibly on left handers. It didn't want to turn right.

Greg
Surely that was because the axle was not perpendicular to the centre line of the car ... I guess caused by those pickup points having shifted.

I would set the length of those rods on a wheel alignment machine.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #102 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Surely that was because the axle was not perpendicular to the centre line of the car ... I guess caused by those pickup points having shifted.

I would set the length of those rods on a wheel alignment machine.
Pete
Right.

But in a stock car that has not been hit. If the links are set to the same length you will have the rear aligned as well as it was when it left Milan.

1972 Berlina Vintage Racer, 1987 Milano Platinum (LeMons Car), 1982 GTV6 EP Race Car, 1974 GTV Vintage Race Car, 2012 VW GTI stage II, 1966 Corvette Coupe 327-350, 2007 Triumph T100 Bonneville. Dearly departed: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider, 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1995 BMW 540i Sport, 2014 Audi A4 (swamped)
post #103 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Finally, i havent been looking hard for these but also the main suppliers have been out of the one caliper for a while. Of all places, Rockauto online had them? I was skeptical at first, but i heard a second opinion and i think im going to give them a whirl. They even come with new hardware.

$51 a caliper
$35 core

not a bad price compared to our suppliers.

I degreased them, taped them off and threw some paint on them. My factory brake lines just needed cleaned up and they turned out nice as well.

Picked up some basically brand new rear pads from Rob (racingswim2006) on here, good friend of mine and brand new rear rotors from Graham (fourmotioneer).

No more updates for a few weeks as it will be undergoing the body work and fuel system setup, I cannot wait.

post #104 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 04:04 PM

Lookin good! Some really cool concepts integrated into this build, kudos.

BTW - those rear pads are brand new hot street compound

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #105 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

One last update:

Rear suspension pretty much completely done. Receiving rotors this weekend then I can put the axles in. Going to new location this week for body work. Can't wait!
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode