Verde Street, Track, & Restoration - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDmilano88 View Post
The Corbeau harness' i went with are perfect for street/track application. Buckles like a seat belt, 4 pointt stability for the track.
4 point harnesses definitely do hold you in place better than a normal 3 point retracting seat belt, but I'm not sure how effective they actually are in a crash. The risk of internal organ injury due to your body trying to slide under the lap belt (submarining) is significant. That's why the extra crotch strap(s) on a 5 or 6 point harness are called "anti-submarine" straps.

If you really *must* use a 4 point harness Schroth makes one that is designed with a special breakaway patch to allow your upper body to twist a tiny bit, which apparently is enough to prevent submarining.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 PM

Joe is right on the money with this. Absolutely do not run 4 point harnesses.

Joe outlined the reasons not to use a 4-point harness. Not safe on the street, not safe on the track. They only belong on low-speed autocrossers and gokarts.

Use street equipment (3-point belts) on a street car. 5-6 point harnesses only belong in a car that is fully equipped to run on the race track with a helmet and HANS device. Don't blur the lines.

I drive street cars on the track occasionally. The last Verde I owned was a very well prepared street car that did well on the track. I resisted the urge to install harnesses to keep me in the seat better after talking to those who know more than I do. Guess what? It saved my life when my car had catastrophic brake failure at the track.

The deceleration forces those race belts offer in a collision don't belong on the street either. There is no perfect "dual purpose" car, but those who build theirs safely have equipment meant for the environment the car is being used in. Bolt-in cages, harness bars, and seats for the track, 3 point belts and stock stuff for the street.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #78 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I had these harnesses in my old 164 when i wrecked it (doing less than 25mph) but it felt like it kept me in the seat, but i totally see where you guys are coming from. Wouldnt want to get in a severe wreck.

Rob, I was checking out that Schroth brand. Very nice setups, might give those a-go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Is there a manual steering rack out there anywhere?

Also interested in finding out some info about a quicker steering ratio.
post #80 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have a quickener kit for the GTV6 rack which was made by SPICA.

The for sale post is here. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa...ml#post5088402

To put it into a Milano, you may need to swap the steering shaft end. The rack is definitely lighter also.

Greg

1972 Berlina Vintage Racer, 1987 Milano Platinum (LeMons Car), 1982 GTV6 EP Race Car, 1974 GTV Vintage Race Car, 2012 VW GTI stage II, 1966 Corvette Coupe 327-350, 2007 Triumph T100 Bonneville. Dearly departed: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider, 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1995 BMW 540i Sport, 2014 Audi A4 (swamped)
post #81 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

That kit is a little out of my range right now.
Mainly just want to move to a manual rack but would like to know about a quicker turn radius.
post #82 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 PM

You must have seen the treads about converting a power rack to manual? Not what you want or you haven't seen them?
post #83 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazig.k View Post
You must have seen the treads about converting a power rack to manual? Not what you want or you haven't seen them?
Honestly, didnt do much research at first. I was thinking about a quicker ratio but didnt realize kits were $500+. I might just see if i can find a rebuild kit for my rack and do the conversion to manual.
I found the link to Greg's Super Verde power steering conversion. Looks pretty straight forward.

Ill post updates when i do it. The weather is starting to stay right around 30+ degrees, so with a heater, its bareable.
post #84 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Well i got the rack out yesterday, tore it down, cleaned up the gear, and sandblasted the rest of the housing. Since I pretty much had everything apart, it went fairly easy except i had to take the header off on the drivers side because with the aftermarket header wasnt allowing enough clearance to turn and slide the rack out. Also had to beat the body a little bit to make a little extra clearance..

Theres been a lot of discussion when doing the power to manual conversion on grease of ATF. I believe my rack is still in good shape atleast it didnt leak before i took it out.

And, does anyone have any fittings in good shape laying around i could buy? Trying to stay OEM on some stuff, and this is one.

post #85 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Small update.

Been working on situating some wiring before the dash goes back in permentantly. Had to make sure everything was going to fit the way i wanted with the dash and cage in the car.

Knocked away the majority of the sound deadening by hand. only about 3 hours worth of work...

Also started doing some work on some rust spots. Pretty bad/

post #86 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Well ive been doing a little bit of "here and there" type things. Been doing a lot of test fitting as ive been trying to clean out all the unnecessary accessories and get things down to bare minimum.

Here is the cage with no interior, test fitting the dash after everything behind it was either taken out, or changed up. Knocked all the sound deadening out, fixed some rust holes, and then shot some undercoat type stuff down (light coat).

After situating most of the interior, i put the carpet back in

Not done here, but a simple mock-up for the gauges and running all the wires to them.

Random outside picture

Finally finished up my rack from previous posts. It turned out very nice and with the rear engine mount unbolted, i was able to jack up on the "bell housing case" a slight bit and slide the rack right back in even with the new lines.

By following the Greg's steering rack build, i managed to get mine setup the same. Except, my banjo bolt heads were so chewed up that i went to a couple different parts stores to gather some new bolts that were similar as far as passing the grease through the lines. I ditched the o-rings in the fittings, went to a hardware store, found some thick washers that fit perfectly. By the time i tightened them down they sat flush and i was a happy camper. Everything seemed to be perfect, so the real test will be on the road.

Ive done much more, but most is just test fitting stuff and random little things.

Stay posted.

Last edited by AlfaTechMD; 05-25-2014 at 09:01 AM.
post #87 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:55 AM

You must been happy with the way it coming along good great.
Just one thing that photo of the brake valve you should have 3 pipes ,one go,s to the R/side one go's to the L/side and the other to the back brakes.
post #88 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 04:01 AM

P.S red ones do go faster I'v got one .
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/380530...-romeo-milano/
post #89 of 199 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Couple things have actually taken lift off lately.

I have all hardlines replaced from front to back. Clutch line, All brake lines after switching to non-ABS, and all new fuel lines for the car. Post pictures on this later

Almost have all the hard parts except for a few things.

I cleaned a bunch of things before sandblast. used purple power but didnt seem to do much even with scrubbing. With a couple "spray, scrub, power wash, repeat" seemed to get everything clean enough. I went to the local paint shop and bought some of this paint stuff called "Alumi-blast" which worked awesome. Gives everything that restored look.

Exhaust/driveshaft shield

A little before and after sandblast then paint.
Bracket attached to the exhaust/driveshaft shield

Still waiting on Complete Rear brakes ( caliper, rotors, pads), Top Diff mount, rear guibo, and thinking about doing the upgraded shift kit seeing as the factory one is a little worn out.

Also waiting on new Trans mounts because the old ones are completely done for and i need to do sandblast and mount the trans subframe or whatever you prefer to call it.

Last edited by AlfaTechMD; 06-14-2014 at 12:19 AM.
post #90 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Finished trans mount brace. new mounts. new hardware.

Last bit of front suspension needed. new torsion bars (performatek) 27mm. new outer tie rods. Rear adjustable perches welded up. and monkey shifter kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode