Verde Street, Track, & Restoration - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Haven't been able to put a lot of work in lately. I got so ticked off because of a stripped out caliper issue....

It's just been body work, body work, and more body work recently. Currently have 6 hours in on just the passengers side

And about 1 on the drivers side.

Not real exciting...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quick couple updates. I've been very busy remodeling and moving into my newly purchased home.

Been squeezing in every minute I can working on getting thing back together before winter....

Not completely done with the body repair under the side skirt, but I don't have a welder at the time so it'll just stay hidden for a little bit...

The other side has come very far if you look back from previous posts... It was a disaster

Even though you don't "see" behind the bumper, it's always good to make sure it's coated good to prevent any rust.. Undercoat, then primer over top

So if you've followed and read the build this far you know I have cut the old rot out of the wheel arches in the rear and have welded tubing for reenforcement.
I've had to think of a good way to attach the Verde flares back to the body now that the factory arches are cut so he goes...
Figured out what I was going to do and went for a material run.

1/4 brake tubing, random fasteners and hardware...

After I acquired my parts, here's the concept for making these.

So at this point, I've mocked up my flares to the car, cut pieces of Tubing to the proper length. I will be welding them to the reenforced tubing on the wheel arch. Sounds confusing, but after my mock up I realized this will be perfect and you'll see how when I'm finished...
Smashed the one end to hold my fastener and supported it with some quick steel.

All I got for now. More updates soon!
post #138 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
email me your fone number again please. We'll be in town next Sunday and Monday and would like to meet. ciao chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 03:31 AM

Im too impresive
Congratulations! is a big work
post #140 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

So I finally got around to welding the flare brackets I made. Turned out just as I wanted and the flare fits tighter then the original 3 brackets that held it on.

I used my phone to take these pictures so they're not excatly good quality...

Also, did something fun for my fuel cell setup... If you've read along you will have seen I shaved my gas door and here's why.

Had to bend the trunk latch to except the new filler tube, and then tack welded it to make sure it wouldn't break. Still working on the final fit on the fuel filler and need to weld it completely...

Until next time
Sam
post #141 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 06:35 AM

Garage
Nice progress! I really enjoid reading thru this tread!

1987 Alfa 75 2.0 T.S
post #142 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Finalize the flares, got everything sealed, painted, and primed with all new hardware.

(Not pictured)
I'm running a 235/45 tire in the rear with a 5/8 spacer (mm's?) to achieve the fitment I want. Finally got around getting the tires mounted on my ESM's and did some test fitting to get those figures.

After finishing the rear flares the front ones needed minor work. Driver side was okay and tabs were still good so no work needed on that. The passenger side however was a Milano gold fender and had no holes for the tabs. I measured out the drivers side to give me something to work with on the pass side. Had some spare verde flare tabs so I used those to drill 2 holes. Tack welded the holes and an outside tack just in case. Going to weld very small nuts to the tabs instead of using rivets again.

Started with some small custom work to my terribly rotted light bar. Couple posts back you can see what I'm dealing with. If you're caught up this far here's what I've been up to with that...

Instead of having a heavy one piece metal strip behind the light bar I cut squares tabs to fit perfectly in place.

Welded some studs to them and ground them down to fit into their holes in the trunk properly. Made 2 longer pieces nice and snug that hold the light together nicely. Going to paint everything to prevent corrosion then start thinking of a plan to run some LED lights in the bar!

Stay tuned!
post #143 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 11:12 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
I'm a huge rivet fan. If I can rivet something I will as they are 99% install and forget. Also if for some reason you need to remove one, they can be quickly drilled out.

Nothing ruins a race more than a bolt or nut working loose ...
Pete
ps: I like them so much that even with my "restore to completely original condition" 1750GTV, I'm still tempted to use them instead of the stupid self tapping screws that hold on the door seal strips and under guard shields, etc.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 10-28-2015 at 11:14 PM.
post #144 of 199 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Back with a few random projects.

After the last update, all I did was mounted the flares to the front fenders and it turned out great. I'll follow up and doing the body work on the fenders later... Moving on..

Started following through with restoring my tail lights and light bar.
Couple posts ago I took my light bar apart and since then I have done some major cleaning up.

Younger and dumber me thought it would be great to try and red tint the lights a couple years ago and it turned out awful and I never fixed them. After a bottle of lacquer thinner I eventually got the clear and paint coats off. Here's one section

After some wetsanding and a first step compound, already brought it back to life. Here's some following steps to finish.

The center section needs a little more work.

The square studs I made, I have painted them since and with that extra paint thickness they fit perfectly snug and hold the light together perfect.

The tail lights were the same way in the beginning. I didn't have a beginning picture as I forgot. After I stripped them, I had done severe wetsanding procedures. From the lacquer thinner, it stripped part of the black pinstripe off the tail light, I made a remedy ...

As mentioned, I worked with what I had. The light was previously crAcked so I plastic epoxied the crack and did some sanding and it turned out alright.

So I went and bought some pin striping and fixed them right up. Besides the crack and the backs being dirty, they almost look brand new!

post #145 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

i really need to start finishing up.
still need to finish fuel lines and test fuel system... in that, the engine SHOULD BE up and running again for the first time in 2 years.

nicer weather needs to roll around then the body work will get finished...

see everyone soon

-sam
post #146 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Interesting rebuild. Good work there. The rear central gas cap location reminds me of some of those older Mustang fastbacks with the rear central gas cap location. Only problem with those was when the car was hit in the rear, the filler in that location was generally damaged enough to allow gasoline to run everywhere. Very dangerous for those cars, at least.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #147 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

well... finally back again with another update.

Been in the paint process for about a month now with no such luck...
we have ran into so many complications its been ridiculous.

on to more exciting news. Some of you that know me, know my garage is a crappy little barn basically, but still it keeps my Alfa protected and that's all I need.
he car has finally left its little shelter for the first time in 3 years just about....

fuel cell cradle is a little low so were going to have to cut, raise up, and reweld, no big deal but this is thing is solid as a rock. little too low coming off the trailer and got stuck on it with no flex or signs of give.... I guess we did pretty good

once the car was moved to a friends house (a lot better painter than me) we started trying to fix whatever was wrong with the paint.
first spray, looked like the rocky mountains (my bad. humidty was quite the issue)
second spray, same thing happened and we began to wonder....
third spray, we had completely stripped the doors, fenders, and hood again. (pics below)

my friend turned me on to this "epoxy primer sealer" that's supposed to be great for under paint base. nothing but issues out of it so far....
sealed it, blocked it down, looked great... sprayed some red FISH EYE EVERYWHERE.
blocked it down once again.. more FISH EYES.

never had a fish eye problem in my life until ive used this sealer. so here I am stuck watching time tick away while I figure out this stupid problem. I have all parts for the car to go back together, was supposed to be done painting 3 weeks ago and this is the point im at. very frustrated. very annoyed....

everything that got sealed looked great ....

post #148 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:51 AM
PSk

Yes I'd rather have to open the boot to fill the fuel tank than have to worry about being hit in the @rse.

Not a fan of drop tanks personally, but understand the concept of low fuel weight ... but so far back and behind the rear axle. I'd rather put the fuel tank in front of the rear axle line so between the wheels. Somebody on this site has done this for his 105 series GTV race car by modifying the rear seat base.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #149 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quick update.

Finally figured out the paint issue and then we made it happen.

Full primer over the epoxy sealer
Base coat
Clearcoat

These are just a few shots I took. Threw a couple things on it and I'm in love. Need different rear tires because the 235/45s are too meaty for what I'm looking for....
Anyways, couple adjustments to be made and more assembly and there will be better pictures too come.
Cut and buffed a spot to see what we could make happen.

post #150 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:55 AM
PSk

Paint looks good
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode