Fuel Pump not getting power - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to m4ff3w Send a message via MSN to m4ff3w Send a message via Yahoo to m4ff3w
I pulled my double relay and the resistor appears to be 2.7 ohm (Red Violet Gold Gold) and tests at 2.8 ohm.

I did replace with a new 33ohm, but it didn't help. It got dark so I'll jumper and take to work w/multimeter in the morning.

-matthew
'87 Milano Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Does anyone know the resistance value of the fusible link near the battery? Mine died too.
Thanks
Dave

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

You know, I now believe what I did when I repaired three of these double relays was to fix cold solder joints, which are known to exist in some Bosch components. The resistors in the units I looked at were so discolored/corroded I could not reliably read the resistance; lol, even when under a strong magnifying glass, the rings still don't seem to match up for ~2.7 ohms with either the 4 ring code or the 5 ring code for resistors, thus the confusion, alas.

The other thing I've noticed that goes wrong with Bosch relays is that the actual coil develops a break in the windings. That's pretty much it for that relay, as the coil cannot be easily taken apart for rewinding or replacement. Pity, as the darn things do cost ~$120 or so.

I get so upset with the uber high prices of the unreliable components (mostly Bosch) that I always try to repair or find a substitute for them. Missed on this one I think, but do check the solder points. As an extreme example, Ferrari charges ~$800 for a similar Bosch relay (yes, same crappy stock Bosch relay, also with failed open coil, with an additional $5 zener diode) whereas Porsche charges ONLY ~$150 or so for the same unit for the 928. Wouldn't mind finding a $35 replacement for the Milano double relay.

So, don't bother trying to replace the resistor, but do reheat the solder joints, and check the conductivity of the coil. Apparently worked for me anyway.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to m4ff3w Send a message via MSN to m4ff3w Send a message via Yahoo to m4ff3w
I'm sorry, I never updated this thread.

It was a fuse, listed in the manual as "optional auxiliary utility"

I think fuse #20, but I do not remember.

-matthew
'87 Milano Gold
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:46 PM

Ok so I've got a 1987 Milano 2.5 V6 that is not getting power to the fuel pump. I've checked the wiring under the seats, the pump, the fuse, the relay and nothing is getting power but the fuse. I have no idea where the problem could be and I've got a voltmeter. Please help, it was running down the street and then it just died. The connectors on the relay aren't getting power but the relay click when I connect/disconnect the battery. Please help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode