Our new handling kit in action- - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Our new handling kit in action-

I know this should really be in the "images" section but you lot won't see it there. So apologies for this in advance-

Here it is, the Alfaholics handling kit in action last weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We're gonna make you an Alfa you can't refuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:15 PM

handling kit

What is the kit composed of and do you have a price? Any pics
Thanks, Joe
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Much less than you think! Link below-

Alfaholics 75 Fast Road Handling Kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:40 AM

lookin good there Jim - love the evo kit and revo wheels (which we didn't get out here in the colonies )

If you are going to do that regularly, some more camber might be a good idea (my GTV6 would monster its front tyre shoulders in a dozen laps until I put 3 degrees on it)

Jason oo=v=oo 1983 GTV6 2.8 litres
Ghosts of alfas past: 1974 2000GTV, 1978 2000GTV, 1988 33IE, 1989 75TS.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:10 AM
Duk

Garage
So why no higher rate torsion bars?

Is there a specific wheel alignment for this upgrade?

Knuckle risers or drop spindles would do some marvelous things to add negative camber on compression and help that outside front tyre stay in better contact with the road.

Sorry, but compared to the amount of stuff listed for the 105, it seems a tad simplistic in it's approach.....

Slowly Progressing Vortech Supercharged 1990 Alfa Romeo 75 Potenziata. Out of Action Twin-Charged 1988 AW11 MR2. Current Daily Driver, The Glorified Taxi 2006 BF FPV F6 Typhoon.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What we saw when we looked into the 75 market was a gap for a road kit that would improve the handling and grip without lowering the car so that it hits the ground all the time or ruins the ride by making it all too stiff. We also wanted to make it cheap as there are plenty of people out there who may have spent less than $1000 on a 75/Milano and don't want to spend another $2000 on a handling kit.

Sure, we could have put stiffer torsion bars or coil overs in there (and quadrupled the cost of the kit), ditto drop spindles etc. but for now, this is where we are. Don't forget, the stuff we do for the 105s started out as a kit of four springs and a front bar and we're still selling four or five of these a week!

Ron Simons already does all the "ultimate 75 suspension set up" but it's way more expensive than ours and is more suited to the track than the road so there's no sense in us re-inventing the wheel is there? We're after the 75/Milano owner who wants to improve the car (dial out most of the roll and pitch) without wrecking the roadability of it and doesn't want to empty his wallet in the process.

Wheel alignment settings so far are as standard but I'll be experimenting with more negative camber on the front as suggested (yes, it has worn that outside front tyre but not as badly as it did before the kit was fitted). Not sure I'll go as far as three degrees, the car's my daily driver and too much may manifest itself in other undesirable side effects in more "normal" (ie. not on three wheels) use!

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 PM

Is this a copy of the Harvey Bailey kit? What poundage are the rear springs?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No, it's not a copy but we use a similarly sized bar, 29mm, coincidentally the same size as our 105 bar! Richard has been a pal of Roddy for years so it's no surprise they reached the same conclusion there.

The rear spring rate? Not sure I'm happy to blab that one about (company secrets etc) but it's similar to the ones we put on the rear of 105s.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:57 AM

What type shocks are you using? Stock? Koni? Bilstein?

Thanks,
Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
)
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 05:40 AM

Jim, How do you think the rear springs would work on a 77 sedan? It's a little lighter than the Milano/75 I'm sure but I don't want to lower the rear any more than I have it now.

Paul

The meek shall inherit the rear view mirror.

Alfas owned/own!
81 GTV-6
83 GTV-6
86 GTV-6
87 Milano Gold
88 Milano Verde
91 164S
77 Alfetta sedan
79 Alfetta GTV(smooshed and ground up)
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 06:26 AM

I think the kit looks great, and Jim is right, there is a hole in the market that this kit fills. The RS racing kit is expensive, and torsion bar changes are relatively difficult. This kit isn't too expensive and anyone with basic automotive skills should be able to install it in an afternoon with no special tools. That said, personally I prefer to upgrade torsion bars first, but handling is so subjective I would not argue that's always the best way to do it.

Greg Gordon,
Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Shocks on mine are Koni sport (yellow) which were on the car when I bought it. They seem to suit the spring rate really well.

I should imagine that the springs would be ok in an Alfetta sedan, the weights of the two cars are close to each other and I'd take a guess that any extra weight in the 75 will be in the injections and power steering stuff fitted at the front rather than the rear, I know that the fuel tank arrangement is similar so the rear weight is probably about the same.

As for fitting, mine took two hours from a standing start including re-bushing the front drop links but as my garage is tiny I had to turn the car around to do the rear end which took a bit of time. Being British there were a few tea breaks in there too.

I reckon with a proper garage lift you'd do it in an hour tops.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:23 AM

Thanks Jim, I'm running yellows as well. Couple more questions.

You say the springs are stock height but your rear end doesn't look jacked up like the stock height here in the US. Currently I think I've got old stock springs in my that have had a coil or so cut out (one of the PO's) so I'm scraping bits & pieces of the exhaust all the time so was actually thinking of raising it back up a bit given I'm only on the track 5-10 times a year vs. on the road a lot more. Do you have any problems with this height spring getting over speed bumps, up ramps into driveways and shops etc?

The other question is what are you running in the rear for an antiroll bar, stock?

Thanks,
Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
)
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kredden View Post
Thanks Jim, I'm running yellows as well. Couple more questions.

You say the springs are stock height but your rear end doesn't look jacked up like the stock height here in the US. Currently I think I've got old stock springs in my that have had a coil or so cut out (one of the PO's) so I'm scraping bits & pieces of the exhaust all the time so was actually thinking of raising it back up a bit given I'm only on the track 5-10 times a year vs. on the road a lot more. Do you have any problems with this height spring getting over speed bumps, up ramps into driveways and shops etc?

The other question is what are you running in the rear for an antiroll bar, stock?

Thanks,
Kevin
Good question about the stock ride height. Jim, could you perhaps give a measurement of what the stock ride height is for euro cars. Perhaps to the top of the rear wheel opening? I want to lower mine "slightly". Most rear springs that I've used reduce the rear height more than I'd like. I think the euro ride height was slightly less than the U.S.

Last edited by dbgrubbs; 04-17-2009 at 05:37 AM. Reason: mistake
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 06:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ToonRboy Send a message via Skype™ to ToonRboy
Simple is goood. Give the marketing guy a raise!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode